Thai Police Compile Immigration Blacklist

george

Police compile immigration blacklist

PHUKET: -- Thai authorities have compiled an immigration blacklist of 30,000 people as part of its bid to prevent terrorists and other criminals from entering the country, immigration police said today.

The Immigration Department police chief, Lieutenant Colonel Amarin Niemsakul, said criminals usually entered Thailand as tourists, especially in such major cities as Phuket, Hat Yai and Chiang Mai.

'' Thailand has no direct conflict with anyone and is a free country, But this makes it easy for criminals to come in as tourists to commit acts of terrorism and other crime. There is more possibility of that,'' he said.

''The government has promoted tourism and that has indirectly provided easy passage for members of international organized crime gangs, '' the immigration police chief said .

As a preventive measure, he said the immigration police had also coordinated with Australia's Qantas airline to check the identity of passengers against Thailand's blacklist before they board their flights.

''I believe this cooperation with an international carrier is a very effective preventive measure. I hope we'll be able to extend it to other airlines in the future,'' he said.

He said a number of US immigration officials would arrive next month to help Thailand install and incorporate an online data system between the country's three major international airports: Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai. The system would provide information about those on the blacklist to immigration police at all three airports.

The immigration police chief said the data system would also link up with the international police organisation, Interpol, to compare its lists of banned international criminals.

''By the end of next year, the system would be made available to immigration police throughout the country,'' he said.

--TNA 2005-02-09

"As a preventive measure, he said the immigration police had also coordinated with Australia's Qantas airline to check the identity of passengers against Thailand's blacklist before they board their flights."

So, now the bad guys will avoid Qantas.

Great Thai logic for publishing the above note! :o

"As a preventive measure, he said the immigration police had also coordinated with Australia's Qantas airline to check the identity of passengers against Thailand's blacklist before they board their flights."

In Oz Qantas does the checkins for most airlines including Thai Airways International.

And that means I'll be even more happy to fly Qantas!

Great Thai logic for publishing the above note! :D

And that means I'll be even more happy to fly Qantas!

Isn't it Quaintarse Samran ? :o Some of those stewards are somethin' else :D

I just got back from Oz last week, and came via Qantas. They seemed to be giving people a hard time about visa for Thailand. Even forcing one couple to reschedule their return flights, because they had no visas. I would say that of the Western countries after the US, the Ozzie, are really getting over zealous with everything.

I just got back from Oz last week, and came via Qantas. They seemed to be giving people a hard time about visa for Thailand. Even forcing one couple to reschedule their return flights, because they had no visas. I would say that of the Western countries after the US, the Ozzie, are really getting over zealous with everything.

Nope. They are just complying with the Thai rules.

Yes, Doctor; but don't you think it's "funny" that Quantas complies with a regulation that - like so many others here - exists only on paper in Thailand?

This rule has never been enforced at a Thai border, only some Air lines bother about it. The problem with non-experts i.e. Airlines getting concerned about it is that they often misinterpret it. I had a long discussion with 2 or 3 officers of Thai Airways who originally did not want to me to board a plane Penang - Bangkok without a ticket out of Thailand, but I had a B Visa. The first two officers did not care at all about the Visa.

Sunny

(Who strongly believes that all countries in the world have a right to issue crap rules and regulations, but who also believes that all men have a right to critisize stupid laws, regardless of their Origin, color, age or wealth.)

My point Dr Patpong, was that Qantas were over zealously enforcing this rule compared to other airlines. Moreover I believe that this is reflective of the excess of zeal that's being displayed by all airport officials at Sydney and Melbourne. There is even a sign at the aiport, saying that you may lose your right to fly, if you made certain comments.

Yes, Doctor; but don't you think it's "funny" that Quantas complies with a regulation that - like so many others here - exists only on paper in Thailand?

This rule has never been enforced at a Thai border, only some Air lines bother about it. The problem with non-experts i.e. Airlines getting concerned about it is that they often misinterpret it. I had a long discussion with 2 or 3 officers of Thai Airways who originally did not want to me to board a plane Penang - Bangkok without a ticket out of Thailand, but I had a B Visa. The first two officers did not care at all about the Visa.

Sunny

(Who strongly believes that all countries in the world have a right to issue crap rules and regulations, but who also believes that all men have a right to critisize stupid laws, regardless of their Origin, color, age or wealth.)

If a punter is denied entry into Thailand the airline is fined and has to carry the person out of the country at its own expense. That is the primary concern of the carriers.