Student Visa

Has anyone been through or familiar with the process of applying for student visa to go to the US?

Researching requirements for student visa for either High school or college to see if there are any differences between the two to see if one would be better than the other.

Also, the Little brother is currently going to a normal private school (Thai program).

This would be to finish High School / College, not a one year exchange program.

Edited by CWMcMurray

i went to college in the states on a student visa. basically, you have to receive an acceptance letter from your college in the states. once you receive that, your college should notify you of making a payment for the SEVIS fee. you basically go online and pay like a $100 fee i think, and then print the page out for proof of payment. once you've done that, you have to take your acceptance letter, passport, SEVIS fee receipt, US student visa application and line up at the US embassy as early as 6am.

trust me, the line is long, and you wait for about 3 hours, then you get inside, submit your application and then they give you a an interview date which is about 2 months later. show up for your interview (look presentable), answer a few simple questions, don't give them the impression that you want to stay there after graduating, and you'll be fine.

Seems like the process for attending a University is pretty straight forward then... as long as you have been accepted at a University.

Any one have any ideas if it is that simple for High School? If I understand correctly, you can not go to a public school (unless you re-imburse the gov for the cost per student), but would it be the same process if it was a private high school?

Meaning as soon as they have the accetance letter from the High School, they just go into the embassy with the needed docs and then apply for Student visa?

Anyone ever heard of anyone being refused if the applicant had all of the ducks in a row with the paperwork?

it's very easy to attend a university. their main concern is that you come back to this country after you graduate, that you're not looking to do any sort of business, and that you are not trying to illegally immigrate there.

can i ask what is your nationality?

with high schools, i've only heard students going there on exchange programs, and you can usually extend it (i think) until you graduate and then go directly to university there. a kid i met in college had done his whole high schooling in the states on a student visa, and then directly went to college, so he was basically there for 8 years on a stretch.

you could always call the embassy or check their website too.