What Would Be A Fair Daily Wage For A Labourer

wackysleet

200 baht / day?

Winnie, I have to be honest about this and I've tried digging these holes and the heat makes it bloody hard work, two hundred a day doesn't seem an awful lot but don't get me wrong, if thats the going rate fine by me but a bonus at the end of the job.

Perhaps you can help, I have seen blokes standing around in certain areas with a m/cycle with a few tools strapped on the bikes, my wife told me that you just go and hire them but when I suggested thats what we do she said no, we don't know them and they maybe robbers { she is thai} what can one say, have you ever had any experience of employing these men. :):D

Sounds like the bigger issue is actually FINDING labourers who can commit to doing the work for you, work properly and show up every day. If this ends up costing 200 or 250 baht a day I think is the lesser issue?

I have to say that in the past when I have needed people I have always negotiated a price for the job but getting them to show up on a daily basis and on time has been a nightmare a weeks work would often end up as a three job, but I suppose you get what you pay for,but I do agree about them not turning up every day, in the past when I have asked why no show they tend to smile and say too much whiskey.

Sounds like the bigger issue is actually FINDING labourers who can commit to doing the work for you, work properly and show up every day. If this ends up costing 200 or 250 baht a day I think is the lesser issue?

250 Bht a day sounds about right you also might consider asking a couple of people to give you a fixed price and if it is not to your liking then go back to the 200 - 250 Bht a day idear, the only trouble with paying a daily rate and i dont mean any disrespect to our Thai labourers, is that they might have a tendancy to hang the job out costing just as much in the end as some one you thought might have been a litle expensive on quoting a fixed price.

If you live in a small village and have a thai partner get him/her to go and have a chat about it with the local orbar tar (I think i have totaly screwed the spelling of that up but it should should sound about right) every village has one and the is the guy most people go to if they have problems.

He knows every one. and gets paid by the govermemnt for doing the job about 8000 Bht a month so i am told.

You have to expect the non showing every day it is common for a lot of people in the building trade to have a couple of jobs on at any one time and they tend to flit from one to another, all of a sudden your 4-5 workers one day become one or two for the next two days.

Make sure they have an adequate supply of cold water

I agree with that.

I live in a village. When I need some hard work to be done, I employ one or several of the locals (mostly farmers). I know them, they know me. They are reliable, honest and friendly.

Wackysleet, I don't know where you are but if you live in a small village, you shouldn't have too many problems finding labourers. Start with your neighbours.

Agree with all the others around 200 baht for unskilled labour, try locally.

Might be worth giving them a bonus at the end if they work well then next time they should be easy to hire again

Edited by anonymouse

The going rate for the Thai Yai's who hang around near Kamtieng every morning looking for day work is 200 Bt with ID, 150 without.

I know a Thai construction company who still only pay 200 Bt per day for their regular workers, some of whom are quite skilled and versatile.

250 Bht a day sounds about right you also might consider asking a couple of people to give you a fixed price and if it is not to your liking then go back to the 200 - 250 Bht a day idear, the only trouble with paying a daily rate and i dont mean any disrespect to our Thai labourers, is that they might have a tendancy to hang the job out costing just as much in the end as some one you thought might have been a litle expensive on quoting a fixed price.

If you live in a small village and have a thai partner get him/her to go and have a chat about it with the local orbar tar (I think i have totaly screwed the spelling of that up but it should should sound about right) every village has one and the is the guy most people go to if they have problems.

He knows every one. and gets paid by the govermemnt for doing the job about 8000 Bht a month so i am told.

You have to expect the non showing every day it is common for a lot of people in the building trade to have a couple of jobs on at any one time and they tend to flit from one to another, all of a sudden your 4-5 workers one day become one or two for the next two days.

I do have a thai wife but we live in a new village just about 3 yrs old and there are no labourers here although there is an old village not too far from here, and in the past I have always given a bonus for a job well done but these people all seem to have disapeared now although they did do skilled work.

The going rate for the Thai Yai's who hang around near Kamtieng every morning looking for day work is 200 Bt with ID, 150 without. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup,, Khun Paagai,

I have thought of hiring some of those guys who hang out at Kam Tian (the market next to Lotus Tesco on the Superhighway, I assume you mean) to do garden work and such, but the security concerns raised here by Khun Wackysleet and others are also on my mind.

I have a lot of valuable things in the house (including valuable art objects), live alone right now. People, being naturally curious, are liable to look in through the windows, even if they are not invited into the house, even if they are given access to an "outside" toilet, and supplied with cold water and/or food. I am not exactly in the type of moo baan siuation described eloquently by Monsieur Hulot and also don't want my neighbors knowing exactly what I have. Over the years I have been here I have succeeded in being accepted in the neighborhood, and being perceived as friendly and helpful, but with a certain distance that I feel protects my privacy.

~o:37;

The going rate for the Thai Yai's who hang around near Kamtieng every morning looking for day work is 200 Bt with ID, 150 without. ... snip ...

I have thought of hiring some of those guys who hang out at Kam Tian (the market next to Lotus Tesco on the Superhighway, I assume you mean) to do garden work and such, but the security concerns raised here by Khun Wackysleet and others are also on my mind.

I have a lot of valuable things in the house (including valuable art objects), live alone right now. People, being naturally curious, are liable to look in through the windows, even if they are not invited into the house, even if they are given access to an "outside" toilet, and supplied with cold water and/or food. I am not exactly in the type of moo baan siuation described eloquently by Monsieur Hulot and also don't want my neighbors knowing exactly what I have. Over the years I have been here I have succeeded in being accepted in the neighborhood, and being perceived as friendly and helpful, but with a certain distance that I feel protects my privacy.

Does anyone else think it just sucks that we have to have this kind of an attitude and worry about this kind of stuff? Sorry to deter from the topic.

I do have a thai wife but we live in a new village just about 3 yrs old and there are no labourers here although there is an old village not too far from here, and in the past I have always given a bonus for a job well done but these people all seem to have disapeared now although they did do skilled work.

Sorry i have my stupid head on today, can you just tell us if you live in a New Moo Bann or a Village,

Its just the refferance to New village that has confused me a little

There are sort of standard rates for digging holes depending on the size and depth of the holes. Fence post holes, house post poles ........ Ask around and you can learn what they are but you may have to pay more to have the work done on an incline like a river bank. It sounds like you need holes and you may also need someone to place the posts unless you are going to do that yourself. If you contract the job instead of hiring day workers, you should set a time limit for completion and clear penalties for every day late, perhaps increasing the penalties if it becomes very late.

Day labor rate of less than 200 baht per day is common for basic construction work with a foreman type guy getting more. Short jobs justify paying more than the long term rate.

Protecting a river bank is not simple and usually takes more than just poles. Good luck.

Does anyone else think it just sucks that we have to have this kind of an attitude and worry about this kind of stuff? Sorry to deter from the topic.

Well he has a valid point i suppose regarding security aspects but not realy very helpful in this post.

I would advise him to get insurance and close the curtains when the gardener comes around and get a safe for all the gold cash that might be lying around as insurance companies wont pay out (to my Knowlaedge) on cash or jewlery that has not been removed from a safe and even so, want pictures and reciepts of said items (excluding the cash) it just stops a lot of over inflated insurance claims.

Sorry i have my stupid head on today, can you just tell us if you live in a New Moo Bann or a Village,

We live in a village that is new not a new Moo Bann sorry for the confusion.

There are sort of standard rates for digging holes depending on the size and depth of the holes. Fence post holes, house post poles ........ Ask around and you can learn what they are but you may have to pay more to have the work done on an incline like a river bank. It sounds like you need holes and you may also need someone to place the posts unless you are going to do that yourself. If you contract the job instead of hiring day workers, you should set a time limit for completion and clear penalties for every day late, perhaps increasing the penalties if it becomes very late.

Day labor rate of less than 200 baht per day is common for basic construction work with a foreman type guy getting more. Short jobs justify paying more than the long term rate.

Protecting a river bank is not simple and usually takes more than just poles. Good luck.

Yes I appreciate what your saying about the posts, they are just there to support the concrete slabs {formed on site} wherupon they will be backfilled.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Brennanstimpy,

fyi : I feel much more secure in this neighborhood I am in here in Chiang Mai than in several neighborhoods I have lived in back in the USA. In fact, I would argue that anytime you have items which are large, but still portable, and whose value exceeds the yearly income of your neighbors by orders of magnitude, caution and discretion are wise unless you live in a some community that is "totally homogeneous" (like the Amish ?).

Whether the necessity of vigilance "sucks," or is just "paranoia," and the extent to which vigilance is necessary : I think each of us has to crawl out of that metaphysical labyrinth via our own escape hatch :)

best, ~o:37;

Well he has a valid point i suppose regarding security aspects but not realy very helpful in this post.

I would advise him to get insurance and close the curtains when the gardener comes around and get a safe for all the gold cash that might be lying around as insurance companies wont pay out (to my Knowlaedge) on cash or jewlery that has not been removed from a safe and even so, want pictures and reciepts of said items (excluding the cash) it just stops a lot of over inflated insurance claims.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun TigerBalm,

I am glad to see your psychic powers are so strong today that you know what is not helpful for everyone else, and that you can also see the inside of my house and see cash, gold, and jewelery laying about, and the absence of a safe :) And thanks for the free advice on insurance I didn't ask for.

You may need to adjust what you are smoking to go into trance a little, though, because there is no safe, gold, or valuable jewelery, in my house, and a minimum of cash. Better yet, recognize your fantasies for fantasies.

best, ~o:37;

My ex gf used to do the payroll for a site of workers on a job in Mae Rim.

Unskilled labourers were 150 - 200 baht/day, experienced builders 250 - 300 baht/day.

The most expensive guy on site was the carpenter, who got 400 baht/day

Yep, 150's more the going rate for a basic labourer, but may have to pay a bit more (like 200) to pick one of those Burmese guys off the road by Tesco. Skilled bricky 300.

We live in a village that is new not a new Moo Bann sorry for the confusion.

Ok if you have a village close by then try what i previously mentioned

If you live in a small village (OR CLOSE TO ONE) and have a Thai partner get him/her to go and have a chat about it with the local orbar tar (I think i have totally screwed the spelling of that up but it should should sound about right) every village has one and the is the guy most people go to if they have problems.

He knows every one. and gets paid by the government for doing the job about 8000 Bht a month so i am told.

My apologies to Khun TigerBalm for the needlessly sarcastic tone of my previous post !

Super-Regular-or-High-Octane-Moderators : please feel free to remove said previous post from this thread.

humbly, ~o:37;

Also the moderators have my permission to remove my post on here Post #18 which i realize was unhelpful

Sense and compassion prevails lads, congratulations, especially as my post isn't at all provocative, cheers Wacky. :):D

Whether the necessity of vigilance "sucks," or is just "paranoia," and the extent to which vigilance is necessary : I think each of us has to crawl out of that metaphysical labyrinth via our own escape hatch :)

Thank you, Khun Orang, for a sentence of exquisite beauty.

Of course it sucks, but greed and envy have been with us for a long time. Part of the reason Thailand is so good to us is the perception that we are all rich.

It has its good points, but there are plenty of bad ones too. :)