Flying 'shortnosed' Dogs - Any Experience?

hi does anyone on here any experience in transporting a short nose breed like english bulldog or boxer on planes? especially long distance flights.

i'm planning to send my (elderly) english bulldog and a two yr old boxer to europe. now i've heard that this might be high health risk for them or even airlines would not take such breeds.

anyone have done this before?

I've send a Boxer to Holland and Bulldogs to BKK. No problems, provided the crate is the right size and they will be send to and transferred in Bkk early morning or in the evening.

Of course, you may think. Unfortunately that is not what every dog owner thinks, and one Bulldog died when traveling by air from CNX to BKK. That was some years ago. He was send during the day and the crate was too small for this dog to lie straight. He was lying with his nose pushed against the door. He suffocated.

Naturally, crate training is quite important as well for the dog to feel comfortable and safe in it.

If you have rescue remedy, you can start giving this to the dogs about a week prior to traveling. And you can put 16 drops in their drinking bottle. (they need to be taught how to drink form such a bottle)

thanks nienke :)

do you know if on flights to europe there will be any crew go looking if the animals are ok or even give some water? i read that one airline is asking that food/water bowls be in the box but should be empty??

is the air pressure in the room where animals are in the same as in the passenger cabin?

i'm more worried about the bulldog as she has breathing problems here already but we hope she would profit from colder climate. but then the stressful flight (of course no sleeping medication). she is not a nervous dog at all but all the noise etc.

The boxer flew with China Airlines as excess lugguage. She was good and her typical boxer-like curious and jumpy self when coming out the box in Ams.

I would train the dogs to drink from a bottle in stead of having bowls. Not too worry too much of them having no food for 24 or 36 hours. Although not exactly nice of course, healthy and well-fed dogs can do without for this period of time.

It's good that the bulldog is not a nervous dog. But as she already has breathing problems I can't say how she will do during the flight. Not to worry about the air pressure, though.

How is her breathing during the cool season? Is it better than? So far I know it is in the plane cool, but not cold.

thanks, that is a bit calming...

the airline also included bottles to be empty, that's why i was thinking maybe someone will fill them during the flight or maybe they meant before and after.

could not see much difference while it is a bit cooler, she is always making loud snoring noise (even awake). but that is just her way to breathe and pant.

the actual flight is about 11-12 hours, she will be sent to phuket first and there is some time at the airport where she would be able to get out of the box and have some water and treat before the long flight. i guess if the box is large enough and the temp is cool as you said, should not be much of a problem hmm but at least 12 hours without water...

nero my squishy nosed boxer came to israel from finland (but that is a short flight); he came in a regulation kennel crate, he was crate trained previously, and he was ok.... as far as i know, flight people do not, ever ever open a dog crate to put in water or food, but may depend on flight company? i think also that it is cold in the luggage part of the plane but while parked on terminal or transferring flight, might be very hot...

bina

israel