1 Bed Accommodation In Cm Between 7-12,000 Thb/mo

Drew Aitch

Hi folks.

I live in a quite spacious 1 bed condo just off Nimmanhaemin Rd. It's approx 73 SQM and is a corner unit giving quite nice views of the Dio Suthep and surround countryside. Because it's a condo, bills are direct from government. There is aircon in both room and the lowest electricity bill I've had in the past 12 months was just 145 Baht. The most expensive has been just 987 Baht. I'm home most days and have fans, TV, microwave, and computers going constantly. At this time of the year I sleep with the aircon on all night every night.

The biggest beef I've had with the place is that it faces a Thai entertainment area at the back. There are sometimes concerts and fairs going on which are incredibly loud, but the main problems have been with the music bars who seem to relentlessly compete with each other from 11:00 to 01:00 every night. Sometimes, the music was so loud, that even with the windows shut I had to turn up the volume of the TV just so that I could hear the bloody thing!

I don't know if it's the recession, or whether someone has other ideas for the land at the back, but it's become a ghost town these past few months. Bars have closed down, and bulldozers have moved in crushing many old haunts to the ground. There are probably only a couple still standing and but I can barely hear them from where I reside.

So, apart from the packs of CM's howling hounds every single night, you would think that I would be a very happy camper now, and I am for the best part, but here's the reason for this post. This condo, although nice, is old and a bit tired looking. It's not that unusual to have people in for minor electrical repairs and plumbing jobs. None of this is costly, but it is inconvenient. The bath is starting to lose its enamel, and a couple of doors have warped a tad and are unable to close properly sometimes. The wooden floor is pretty worn out, although some might say that with the couple of rugs I have down and large house plants, that the wood flooring has character. To me, it looks buggered, but then I've been living with it for over 2 years now.

A mate if mine has just moved into a brand spanking new apartment building near Holiday Inn. It has 2 bedrooms, a large flat screen TV, and 2 computers (1 in each room) thrown into the deal. There's obviously a nice new bathroom with modern plumbing, clean unscratched glass everywhere, and no fear of previous tenants breaking their fowl smelling wind into the mattresses for the years gone by. All this and more for what started off at just 6,500 THB/Mo, but now I believe the price has gone up to 8,0000 THB/Mo for new tenants.

Although his place is a bit small for me, and in a part of the town I don't particularly want to live in, it has to be said that there is something so nice about a new or newish place. Personally, I need 2 rooms (not 2 bedrooms), and although I could downsize somewhat, I can't see myself residing in a rabbit hutch no matter how nice it was. So the purpose of this post is to ask residents here to expose any newish 1 bed places around the city in the price range of say 7-12,000 THB/Mo Ideally, I would prefer to hear about condos as opposed to apartments, but this might be a useful post to others, so let's list them all. No talk of houses please

So c'mon forum, where are the hidden 1 bedroom gems in and around CM?

Thanks in advance

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Hi folks.

I live in a quite spacious 1 bed condo just off Nimmanhaemin Rd. It's approx 73 SQM and is a corner unit giving quite nice views of the Dio Suthep and surround countryside.

A mate if mine has just moved into a brand spanking new apartment building near Holiday Inn. It has 2 bedrooms, a large flat screen TV, and 2 computers (1 in each room) thrown into the deal. There's obviously a nice new bathroom with modern plumbing, clean unscratched glass everywhere, and no fear of previous tenants breaking their fowl smelling wind into the mattresses for the years gone by. All this and more for what started off at just 6,500 THB/Mo, but now I believe the price has gone up to 8,0000 THB/Mo for new tenants.

Aitch

I'm sorry too, as my post is of no help, but I wonder why you are not more specific about both your condo and your friend's.Why not say exactly which Condominium you are talking about. I for one, would be interested to know. But maybe there's an understandable reason for your reticence.

Sorry no info to offer but I'm interested to know what the definition of a condo is versus that of an apartment, I thought they were both different names for a flat.

JxP

A condominium is a unit in a block where each unit can be owned by a different person. An apartment is a unit in a block that is owned by 1 person or company and the units are rented out - the units are not for sale. A special type of apartment are the serviced apartments.

Thanks for responding to the question on condo and apartment Tyke, it saved me the job :) Of course, the other benefit of renting a condo is that your bills are direct and not fixed by the project owner. This can actually save you 1,000's a month if you're a heavy user. You also have to freedom to choose which services you want for internet and TV, whereas many apartment buildings have their own set-ups and don't allow the flexibility to get your own TV an Internet service providers.

I'm sorry too, as my post is of no help, but I wonder why you are not more specific about both your condo and your friend's.Why not say exactly which Condominium you are talking about. I for one, would be interested to know. But maybe there's an understandable reason for your reticence.

No secret about my accommodation Asmerom, i was just writing generally. I live in Condo 103 Project 3, and my i can't remember the name of the place my mate has recently moved into. I do know that it's at the Holiday Inn part of town. I'm sure someone else will be able to pipe in with the exact name :D

Aitch

Sorry no info to offer but I'm interested to know what the definition of a condo is versus that of an apartment, I thought they were both different names for a flat.

JxP

A condominium is a unit in a block where each unit can be owned by a different person. An apartment is a unit in a block that is owned by 1 person or company and the units are rented out - the units are not for sale. A special type of apartment are the serviced apartments.

Thanks Tyke.

Sorry for the pathetic attempt to hijack your thread Drew Aitch, good luck with the condo hunting.

JxP