Most Expensive Beer In Phuket?

madmitch

I took a visit to Patong with some friends last night.

First I would like to say that the best value on Bangla must be Kangaroo Bar with beer prices all at 70 baht, including Beer Lao. There may be some slightly cheaper bars but the location is great, music is pretty good and the scenery is quite nice!

We went into Soi Seadragon after that and wandered into the white painted bar on the left. I am not sure of the name. We happened to enter during the show and were shown the menu. Beer was 500 baht for a bottle! Showtime prices, we were told. We left immediately though a couple of friends were not so lucky. They received a bill for 1300 baht for two gin and tonics!

What surprised me is that the bar was not empty. Maybe tourists believe that to watch a show with naked ladies they have to pay these amounts.

NB most beer bars inside the sois were empty apart from the dozens of girls trying to drag us in.

It shouldn't matter whether there was a show on or not. From what I have read and experienced, the 500 baht or similar price is when a tout brings you in. He/She gets a commission. My guess is one or two touts followed you in without you noticing and claimed to have brought you. My friends and I have had to stand outside the door at times until these little fuc_kers go away so we don't get overcharged.

It shouldn't matter whether there was a show on or not. From what I have read and experienced, the 500 baht or similar price is when a tout brings you in. He/She gets a commission. My guess is one or two touts followed you in without you noticing and claimed to have brought you. My friends and I have had to stand outside the door at times until these little fuc_kers go away so we don't get overcharged.

You are correct with the touts!

Many places have 2 different drink lists:The more expensive one for customers who are "guided" through these touts, the cheaper version for walk in customers :) .

Gerd

I'm fully aware of the tout scan and actually warned some of the group of people about it last night.

You may be right and I just didn't see them. They are very annoying and there seem to be more of them every time I go to Patong. More touts, less punters, more scamming.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to confirm what Madmitch wrote about a certain Bar on Soi-Sea Dragon about the Drinks Prices. The Bars name is 'Spicey'. On my recent visit to Patong I also got Scammed from this Bar. I've been visiting Thailand and Phuket now for over 8 years and never been Scammed until now !

The first Drinks were 700 Baht. We entered the Bar without any assistance from any Touts and weren't shown any Menu's until it was too late. It got quite heated when it came to Payment, and was told it would get Nasty outside if we didn't pay this Extortionate Rate. We were surrounded by about 5 or 6 Thai guys at this point.

I would just like to warn everyone about this Problem again ! And really don't know how to go about Helping Other's from being Scammed also ?

Any Idea's ???

Hi,

I would like to confirm what Madmitch wrote about a certain Bar on Soi-Sea Dragon about the Drinks Prices. The Bars name is 'Spicey'. On my recent visit to Patong I also got Scammed from this Bar. I've been visiting Thailand and Phuket now for over 8 years and never been Scammed until now !

The first Drinks were 700 Baht. We entered the Bar without any assistance from any Touts and weren't shown any Menu's until it was too late. It got quite heated when it came to Payment, and was told it would get Nasty outside if we didn't pay this Extortionate Rate. We were surrounded by about 5 or 6 Thai guys at this point.

I would just like to warn everyone about this Problem again ! And really don't know how to go about Helping Other's from being Scammed also ?

Any Idea's ???

Yes, everyone should look at the menu and prices before they order drinks or food ! Especially at a ping-pong show bar.

Same thing happened to me in Ao Nang. I pulled into an Italian restaurant and without looking at the menu ordered a salad and a spaghetti bolonese. One drink also. I get the bill and it's 600thb! Ends up the spaghetti was 350thb! Whoops!

My bad, nothing I could do.

Hi,

Any Idea's ???

If this happens to you, pay the bill and head to the Tourist Police. They will come with you to the place and get some of your money back.

I don't get the scam with the touts. Normal price is 100 baht for a beer, they make you pay 500, so 400 for the tout? I don't believe it.

On the rare occasions I've been into such bars, I negotiate the beer price at the door, before setting foot inside. If it's reasonable, I go in. If not, I don't. I've never yet had anyone go back on their word or try to increase the agreed price.

I know a lot of the girls that work in the Go Go bars on Soi Sea dragon from over many years.

And can assure you this practise goes on in all Go Go bars. I normally sit near the cashier and have watched the touts come in with customers and then collect their fee for doing so.

This practise has being confirmed to me by the girls. They know I know what is going on. I get sly looks. Needless to say I mind my own business and have never had a problem paying the normal price for drinks. And I have been followed by touts as well, on their own volition. The touts didn’t get paid!! It also helps if you know the manager! My observations are the people that the touts bring in are that they only have one drink and go. I like drinking there because of the air con. So I spend money. Just keep your eyes open people.

If this happens to you, pay the bill and head to the Tourist Police. They will come with you to the place and get some of your money back.

I don't get the scam with the touts. Normal price is 100 baht for a beer, they make you pay 500, so 400 for the tout? I don't believe it.

ivowatson

Yes I nearly went to the Tourist Police but was concerned if I came across a bent copper who happened to pass on my Details to these Mungrels I would have been in Deep trouble !

Some of you Guys are missing the point, you might be old and wise, but it's the Nieve Tourist that needs protecting. I've been going to Patong now for 8 years and even this bar 6 months ago and haven't had a problem before.

Somehow the Police or Powers that be need alerting of this problem or Phukets gonna get a reputation it doesn't need

Thanks for the comments

Another reason why people changing from holiday destination.

In Penang (Malaysia) in the restaurants / bars you can find books with written story's from travellers experience.

Sadly many horror story's from Thailand. From extortion to beatings.

I know a lot of the girls that work in the Go Go bars on Soi Sea dragon from over many years.

And can assure you this practise goes on in all Go Go bars. I normally sit near the cashier and have watched the touts come in with customers and then collect their fee for doing so.

This practise has being confirmed to me by the girls. They know I know what is going on. I get sly looks. Needless to say I mind my own business and have never had a problem paying the normal price for drinks. And I have been followed by touts as well, on their own volition. The touts didn’t get paid!! It also helps if you know the manager! My observations are the people that the touts bring in are that they only have one drink and go. I like drinking there because of the air con. So I spend money. Just keep your eyes open people.

Not correct.. It doesnt go on in 2 of Jefferys (suzys and crazy girls).. For which hes had death threats, his car worked over, his family threatened etc etc etc..

Hi,

Any Idea's ???

Couple of days ago I spoke to a bar owner in "Soi Sea Dragon": Every tout has to pay 1000 Baht per day to the street "owner"............

Gerd

Not correct.. It doesnt go on in 2 of Jefferys (suzys and crazy girls).. For which hes had death threats, his car worked over, his family threatened etc etc etc..

I would very strongly disagree with your first sentence/statement I must have imagined it !

What dont you agree with ?? Jeffery has had constant problems with them and is one of the few who actively tries to resist them. The 2 places I mention wont currently pay them and he gets a lot of stick for it.

So no despite your assurance not 'all gogos' do this.