Mobile Internet

Hello I have managed to get myself confused again, I am planning a 3month trip to Thailand and wanted to bring my laptop with me. At the moment I shall be in BKK for a month and then going to Phuket. I already have a happy sim which I use every year and read that I can connect via my mobile but I understand this can be very slow. I read that the Hutch have an usb mobile which faster but looking through this forum it looks like it would not work in Phuket.

I would like if possible one option that would give me fast net access in both areas, at the moment it seems like I buy the Hutch for BKK and something else for Phuket. I do not mind shelling out for something like the Hutch once it can be used on various trips over the years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, is this just too slow though or is there a difference between AIS, DTAC ?

I just use a mobile phone connected to my laptop and 12call card 30 hours for less than 200 baht

:) cheers I shall keep the phone option in mind and check the web site for prices.

i have never used dtac just Ais and I dont find it to slow , infact some time i listen to online radio using it

I use Dtac and get 50 hours for 159 baht per month, and use it mainly with the laptop when we go back to the village. Speeds are fairly consistant and I usually get about 180-200k download and 40-50k upload. good enough for nornal web browsing, skype (usually ok in the village, but not always any good in town/Bangkok,etc where the mobile system is running nearer its maximum levels) and radio streaming but too slow for video streaming.

Sumrit - your connection sounds far better than what I've got.

My wife buys cards - about 1000 Baht at a time.

I connect via TrueMove and get very, very slow speeds.

i.e. it can take me 15 minutes just to get to my email at yahoo.com.

Then the 1000 Baht is all gone within 10 days. Mostly spent waiting .. waiting ..

Downloading/uploading limited to text only - any images out of the question ..

Can you give me more details on how to get connected as you do.

I use a Nokia Navigator mobile phone. We have a transmitter tower 1 Km from my house in Uthai Thani.

Nobody has been able to help me get a better connection despite my constant whining about the problem.

Usual answer - Mai Pen Rai .. No have .. etc ..

Sumrit - your connection sounds far better than what I've got.

My wife buys cards - about 1000 Baht at a time.

I connect via TrueMove and get very, very slow speeds.

i.e. it can take me 15 minutes just to get to my email at yahoo.com.

Then the 1000 Baht is all gone within 10 days. Mostly spent waiting .. waiting ..

Downloading/uploading limited to text only - any images out of the question ..

Can you give me more details on how to get connected as you do.

I use a Nokia Navigator mobile phone. We have a transmitter tower 1 Km from my house in Uthai Thani.

Nobody has been able to help me get a better connection despite my constant whining about the problem.

Usual answer - Mai Pen Rai .. No have .. etc ..

True is one of the worst GPRS providers, many of their cells are still running on regular GPRS instead of the faster Edge.

Just try with sticking an AIS or a Dtac simcard in your navigator and see which one is best for you. The simcards are only 50 Baht or so, you'll get deducted 1 Baht per minute when connected to the internet.

Once you found which of the two gives you best speeds, keep that one and subscribe to one of their packages which suits you best. 1000 Baht will give you unlimited both with AIS and Dtac, if your usage is say less then 3 hours/day, you're better of buying a 100 hour monthly package (around 350 Baht I think).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sumrit

Your advice has proved invaluable for me!

I decided to get a new Nokia phone and installed a Dtac Sim card.

Wow the speed is great! - well anything would have been better than that crummy TrueMove %#$*.

I took a 300 Hour/month account to try it out.

Now my problem is all the viruses that I'm getting from downloading stuff.

I have AVAST and it picks up all sorts of viruses but I'm not sure if it is really

eliminating them.

I'm going to try a ubcd4win boot CD and see if that will work.

Thanks again for the tips!