Americans To Train Thai English Teachers

george

I took a three-day trip with a recent English graduate of a Thai uni. We met another Thai who was in his second year of an English major at a nearby, inferior Thai uni. The second year student couldn't believe my friend had graduated with a degree in English. His speech was almost indecipherable.

Rumour has it that Thai parents and school owners don't want non-Caucasians teaching English in Thailand. Whose racism is that?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that is not a rumor. I think almost if not all Thai schools ask you to submit a photo so they can accept or reject on race, and a host of other superficial factors.

Give me a break: virtually all Thai students grimace at  "half-past 5, or quarter to 6" especially when 5:30 and 6:45 are far better and more precise.

There should be no misunderstanding of half-past five. Thai people use a very similar phrase in their own language. And do you really think 5:30 is any more precise? If half-past five is any less precise (and I'm not sure that it is) that may be to its advantage. Do you really want to know it is half-past five or exactly 5:31? :o Oh hang on, it's 5:32 now...

:D That's a good comment BB, but a moot point. Time stands still for no one, so by your standard, all time enquiries are old the moment they're answered.

And while you say half-past or quarter of shouldn't be hard to understand, for many young Thai students it is. I think the British concept of time (halves and quarters) is probably too abstract while they are still grasping the meaning of the vocabulary.

Americans cannot speak English,full stop.The students need teachers that speak the language properly.

Even those Americans that were born, raised and educated to doctoral level in England?

Why not just change your screen name to "Americanbasher" and be done with it. Then your sweeping generalizations will be flying under your true colors!

ProThai, Americans do not need to be educated in the UK to the doctoral level to speak English properly. Why would you even acknowledge such a hateful argument with such a response?

ProThai, Americans do not need to be educated in the UK to the doctoral level to speak English properly. Why would you even acknowledge such a hateful argument with such a response?

My purpose was to point out that the gerneralizations used by the poster were faulty, as are all generalizations. There are Americans who fit the characterization I raised in my rhetorical question and therefore the generalization is shown to be innacurate and therefore non-factual.

My main thesis was to point out to the poster, that he was merely bashing Americans under the thin guise of a discussion on the use of the English language.

You may have noticed other threads where American bashing runs rampant, without moderator intervention, as long as it is thinly disquised under a subject such as the thread on the decline of the U.S. dollar.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I do wholeheartedly appologise for any offence i may have caused to American members of this forum.

I'm afraid i let an encounter with an American in a Tesco car park cloud my judgement. :o

We 'all' have bad days; just don't let 'all' of us cloud your judgement. Cheers mate :D

Having "trained" Thai English teachers to teach English - all I can say is lots of luck.

One months training and then become a trainer and teach your colleagues - you must be joking, most of the Thai English teachers I have meet outside of University can not put 4 words together in English and do all their teaching in Thai.

"The training will be offered once a month around the country, with the first programme scheduled for April in three key regional main cities -- Chiang Mai in the North, Khon Kaen in the Northeast and Nakorn Si Thammarat in the South.

All participants will have to agree to become trainers after finishing their course, and set up a similar programme in their schools for their colleagues."

Sounds like a good sales job by AUA with kick backs to those promoting it.

but I forgot - this is Thailand. If it sounds good it must be good.

Having "trained" Thai English teachers to teach English - all I can say is lots of luck.

One months training and then become a trainer and teach your colleagues - you must be joking, most of the Thai English teachers I have meet outside of University can not put 4 words together in English and do all their teaching in Thai.

"The training will be offered once a month around the country, with the first programme scheduled for April in three key regional main cities -- Chiang Mai in the North, Khon Kaen in the Northeast and Nakorn Si Thammarat in the South.

All participants will have to agree to become trainers after finishing their course, and set up a similar programme in their schools for their colleagues."

Sounds like a good sales job by AUA with kick backs to those promoting it.

but I forgot - this is Thailand. If it sounds good it must be good.

Spot on IMO!

It should read "Americans to train Thai Teachers in the art of speaking American" :D

Once heard on the BBC that an "articulated lorry" had collided with a "Caravan" at a "Lay By". My first question was were any of the Camels in the Caravan killed?

:D

LOL. That would have been my first question, too. :o:D:D

It should read "Americans to train Thai Teachers in the art of speaking American" :D

Once heard on the BBC that an "articulated lorry" had collided with a "Caravan" at a "Lay By". My first question was were any of the Camels in the Caravan killed?

:D

LOL. That would have been my first question, too. :D:D:D

ฺิBeing English, a driver of articulated lorries and a regular frequenter of said laybys.....

I regret I fail to sense any humour in these comments! :o