Dvd 's From Overseas

gennisis

Sorry never order, just download from the net, cheaper and easier.

I have noticed that Post seems to go missing a lot here in Thailand, so be careful.

Had a set of DVD's and CD impounded once by Thai customs (obviously thinking they where po*n) and where in fact project files, I was told it would take about 3 months to get them back, assuming here they were going to make some "Somchai" customs officer go through every disk and see what was on them....in the end told them to go ahead, but never received the disks back

As an avid DVD buyer myself, i always order from amazon uk

If you order 2 at a time you should be ok, they seem to always slip through

However, any more than that and it's hit and miss with customs

Then you have to deal with the hassle of a trip to the post office to pay the tax

What are you looking for? I have movies that date as far back the 1930's, I have a rather large collection and in many formats.

The ones that come to mind quickly are 'The Jolson Story" and "Jolson Sings again" and Rififii the French classic

DVDs have an import Duty of 30% along with VAT of 7% (yes, even second hand). May not be an issue if coming in under courier, but if in large enough quatlities to send via air freight or Sea freight be prepared...

interesting as last time I went thru customs at the airport I was carrying about a hundred second hand DVDs and plan to bring in the same amount on my next trip. So, can we say that DVDs should be added to 'items to declare' when coming thru customs like ciggies and booze?

good to know about the hassles with shipping as I was gonna ship a bunch to Suphanburi from Saudi where I work. I had about $4000 worth of foreign and classic films shipped to Saudi; no customs duty and honest postal service workers in these parts...

I brought my entire movie collection on hard drives and have an entire catalog of ever TV series, special, documentary and movie I have. Torrents and streaming video are great for news and current TV shows that you just want to watch one time like say CSI or the daily show. I saw some one had a post about starting a book club maybe we could start a movie club and exchange movies... Just a thought. I also have over 1,500 books strictly on the subject of philosophy and religion in PDF format and another 10,000 plus books on various topics in PDF format that I am happy to share and most are copyright free thanks to the Gutenberg Project.

I order dvds through Amazon quite often and have never had a problem. Always delivered straight to the door and the only thing I've ever had to pay is the odd 7 baht to the delivery guy for... I can't even remember what it's for.

I also use torrents, but my passion is Rugby League and there simply seem to be no good RL torrent sites out there (unless you know better). So, I get dvds of finals, classic games, documentaries etc sent though the post. All sorts of combinations: 1 dvd, 2 dvds, 5 dvds, 6 dvds and a bundle of books - no problems yet. Guess I've been lucky.

You guys who have ordered dvd's for derlivery to Thailand.

Any problems??

i have a friend who records and sends the Coronation Street weekly omnibus edition over from UK every month for my mother

x4 dvd's in a plain package, marked as entertainment on the shipping note

sent by royal mail international to be signed for service

been doing it for over 4 years, never lost one, had one opened or been charged for one

even when Swampy was beseiged and a package was stuck in there, it arrived, albeit weeks late but it still arrived.

good job, post office.....

I brought my entire movie collection on hard drives and have an entire catalog of ever TV series, special, documentary and movie I have. Torrents and streaming video are great for news and current TV shows that you just want to watch one time like say CSI or the daily show. I saw some one had a post about starting a book club maybe we could start a movie club and exchange movies... Just a thought. I also have over 1,500 books strictly on the subject of philosophy and religion in PDF format and another 10,000 plus books on various topics in PDF format that I am happy to share and most are copyright free thanks to the Gutenberg Project.

I am in the process of doing the same. My movie collection (around 1500 dvd's) is in europe now and I have to put them all on hard drives since I do not want them to bring through thai customs. That will take some time as i will not go back too often. But your idea of a dvd club sounds good to me and when I have everything in thailand I will try to organize something like that. You can always pm me .

Aloysius

while i would like to participate in a movie exchange the problem i see with it is one of location. for all of you in bkk or chiang mai, etc it might work, but i am out in the villages so very little inter action with townies.

but, if someone is interested, i do have about 400 or so movies. about 1/2 are 50's film noir and 30's 'golden age'. i am near lampang and phrae. pm me if this might work for you

Brilliant idea, I have a lot of the british sit coms, I am looking for the specials from only fools and horses, I have all the series but not the specials, i.e Jolly boys outing etc.

I also have all the Blackadders, Red dwarfs, men behaving badly etc etc

Brilliant idea, I have a lot of the british sit coms, I am looking for the specials from only fools and horses, I have all the series but not the specials, i.e Jolly boys outing etc.

This is a good place to start http://www.thaiexpathub.com/

At one time the hub had its own sub-forum on Thaivisa but it was removed when the rules on P2P discussions were introduced. Worth a look.

The idea of a sharing forum is a good one, unfortunately unless we're sharing (expensive) originals it's unlikely to fly on legal grounds :)

Jolly boys outing was one of the best :)

An absolute classic

Every so often you can get the specials for around 5GBP on amazon

I have noticed that Post seems to go missing a lot here in Thailand, so be careful.

I have been reccomended to try Graboid.com...there are thousands of films,TV shows etc.

Have downloaded 3 ..good quality.

It does seem to answer my problems for a while.

Thanks to all.

I have been reccomended to try Graboid.com...there are thousands of films,TV shows etc.

Have downloaded 3 ..good quality.

It does seem to answer my problems for a while.

Thanks to all.

Cheers for that, it will come in useful

I've ordered many DVDs and CDs from Amazon in the UK, US and Canada over the years.

None have been lost in the mail and if the invoice isn't above $40 I don't usually get charged any duty. These are DVDs I want to keep and watch more than once so it's worth the effort.