Homemade Yogurt

Daren

I thought this topic deserved a thread of it's own, so here it is!

Recently Gippy kindly posted this helpful information in the "What are cooking today" thread:

I'm not cathy but I make yoghurt at home all the time as well. I follow a recipe I got from an Indian cookbook by Mader Jaffrey. The first step is to go and buy a small tub of plain yogurt and some milk. For each 1.5 pints of milk you need 2 tablespoons of yoghurt.

Put the milk in a pot and bring to the boil, as soon as it starts to rise turn the heat to very low and simmer for one minute. Switch off the heat and let the milk cool to 38-43C. Put the yoghurt into a non-metallic bowl. Beat with a whisk until creamy, start to add the milk a tablespoon at a time and whisk in. After a few tablespoons have been added you can pour the rest in faster, keep beating as you pour. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave for about 8 hours or until it has set.

This method has always worked for me, it's hot enough here in Bangkok not to require any fancy yoghurt making machines. To make the next batch just use the last few tablespoons of your previous batch. I like it with some home made jam stirred in, yum!

As usual, I have questions:

What kind of yogurt starter do you use, as well as milk? - As we all know, Thai yogurt, even the "plain", has a TON of sugar in it. (Actually, I have seen 2 brands without sweetener but neither are available here in "Cowboy Country".)

Is one brand or fatty-ness of milk better than another?

It would seem sanitation would be highly important. Is a good wash and scalding with boiling water sufficient?

What makes yogurt THICK? The Thai stuff is so runny you could almost drink it. I want some stuff that will sit up and bark! :)

How long does homemade yogurt keep in the fridge?

What kind of cloth would you use to make yogurt cheese? There is no cheesecloth here, but would any loosely woven white cotton cloth work?

How long do you drain?

Looking forward to some delicious yogurt now!!!

I thought this topic deserved a thread of it's own, so here it is!

As usual, I have questions:

What kind of yogurt starter do you use, as well as milk? - As we all know, Thai yogurt, even the "plain", has a TON of sugar in it. (Actually, I have seen 2 brands without sweetener but neither are available here in "Cowboy Country".)

Is one brand or fatty-ness of milk better than another?

It would seem sanitation would be highly important. Is a good wash and scalding with boiling water sufficient?

What makes yogurt THICK? The Thai stuff is so runny you could almost drink it. I want some stuff that will sit up and bark! :)

How long does homemade yogurt keep in the fridge?

What kind of cloth would you use to make yogurt cheese? There is no cheesecloth here, but would any loosely woven white cotton cloth work?

How long do you drain?

Looking forward to some delicious yogurt now!!!

I don't have any problem buying unsweetened yoghurt from Villa to use as a starter but I would be interested in finding out if powdered yoghurt starter is available.

I haven't tested many different brands of milk, I use whatever I happen to buy, it's usually Chok Chai full fat.

I just give everything a good wash, some boiling water wouldn't hurt as well.

To get it really thick I think you may need to strain it a little bit. I don't strain but I am careful not to stir the yoghurt after it has set, I just put the yoghurt straight into the fridge for a while and find that it sets up a bit more after a couple of hours.

My cookbook says it should keep for at least 4 days, I only make 1-1.5 pints at a time and it never lasts long enough to test that theory!

It is very good eating, the wife hates it as it's not loaded with sugar like the Thai yoghurts, just means more for me!

Here are some helpful tips and answers to my own questions...

Yogurt Making Tips

1. Do not leave yogurt in the machine too long, the curd and liquid whey will separate and can not be reversed.

2. Yogurt made with skim milk or skim milk powder may have a soft consistency. For thicker, creamier yogurt, add an additional 1/2 cup (50 ml) of milk powder to the milk before heating.

3. When using store bought yogurt as a starter, make sure the label indicates "Live Active Cultures" and check the expiration date. Yogurt culture becomes weaker over time. Use only plain yogurt as flavored/sweetened varieties will not work.

4. Longer cooking times produces a firmer and more tart yogurt.

5. If using raw milk or pasteurized milk that has been refrigerated for some time, boil it for a few minutes before cooling to the desired temperature. Boiling kills any bacteria that can interfere with the incubation of the yogurt cultures.

6. Do not heat the milk for too long or at too high a temperature as the result will be poor quality yogurt.

7. Make sure all utensils, container and lid are clean. Impurities affect growth of yogurt culture.

8. Make sure milk is cooled to the correct temperature before adding the yogurt starter. If the yogurt culture is exposed to temperatures too high, the culture will be destroyed. If the culture is exposed to temperatures too low, processing will take longer. Use a thermometer to assist with the correct temperature range.

9. Do not disturb the yogurt maker during the processing period as this may affect the quality of the yogurt. Keep the yogurt maker away from air drafts that could reduce the incubator temperature.

10. Always keep yogurt refrigerated until use. It can keep up to 10 - 14 days, after which it may become tart.

11. Add flavoring, sweeteners and fruit after processing and refrigeration.

Taken form www.healthgoods.com.

It looks like true *plain* yogurt is yet one more thing to buy on my next trip to civilization... sigh.

I use Chok Chai full-fat milk and for my starter I used Dutchie plain yogurt, which is genuine plain yogurt, no sugar. It has a mild taste that I prefer over the stronger tanginess I got using a powdered starter. I don't add any milk powder, but I do heat the milk to 185F, or 85C. I get a nice thick yogurt after 6 1/2 hours in a yogurt maker which keeps it at the right temp and draft-free. My efforts without the yogurt maker ended up with spoiled, curdled milk instead. It thins out some after stirring. A longer time will make tangier, but not thicker, yogurt.

To make the cheese I let it drain overnight in the refrigerator. I use the broken-off net end of an aquarium net and a 4-cup measuring cup. There has to be some clearance between the bottom of the net and the cup for the liquid. I put a conical coffee filter into the net, and put the yogurt in the coffee filter. Pour off the accumulated liquid to keep the yogurt bottom dry. I do it this way because we happened to have all this stuff on hand. It makes a soft white cheese, very much like ricotta. You can salt it, or sweeten it, or season it with herbs to use it different ways.

I use full fat milk, not sure about the brand. As a starter, I use Dutch (or Dutchie) yogurt, sweet one. I put 1 yogurt (120ml) for 2 litres of milk, so you cannot say that yogurt produced is sweet. As a cloth for a cheese, I believe you can use one that sold for steaming purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a company called HomeMade-Cheese Co. they are making Home Made Yogurt and Cheese in Bangkok Premium quality and as far as i know they use 100% organic milk.

You can order their products to your home in Bangkok.

They have also Greek Yogurt and other good products.

They have a website with the products list and email and phone number

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is a company called HomeMade-Cheese Co. they are making Home Made Yogurt and Cheese in Bangkok Premium quality and as far as i know they use 100% organic milk.

Do they have unsweetened Yogurt? they make all the yogurt in Bangkok?

• 1 year later...

I use Chok Chai full-fat milk and for my starter I used Dutchie plain yogurt, which is genuine plain yogurt, no sugar. It has a mild taste that I prefer over the stronger tanginess I got using a powdered starter. I don't add any milk powder, but I do heat the milk to 185F, or 85C. I get a nice thick yogurt after 6 1/2 hours in a yogurt maker which keeps it at the right temp and draft-free. My efforts without the yogurt maker ended up with spoiled, curdled milk instead. It thins out some after stirring. A longer time will make tangier, but not thicker, yogurt.

To make the cheese I let it drain overnight in the refrigerator. I use the broken-off net end of an aquarium net and a 4-cup measuring cup. There has to be some clearance between the bottom of the net and the cup for the liquid. I put a conical coffee filter into the net, and put the yogurt in the coffee filter. Pour off the accumulated liquid to keep the yogurt bottom dry. I do it this way because we happened to have all this stuff on hand. It makes a soft white cheese, very much like ricotta. You can salt it, or sweeten it, or season it with herbs to use it different ways.

Yoghurt making at home the easy way.

I buy fresh milk from a farm nearby in the North of Thailand. Sells for 300 Baht for 10 litres.

Using a unsweetened small yoghurt from Tops as a starter.

Heat in a waterbath system (pot in pot),to prevent burning the milk to 80-85 degrees C, thats 185 F, than cool the milk-pot in the kitchen sink filled with ice-water to 40-45 degree C, than stir in slowly the yoghurt.

Temperatures 2B checked with a thermometer

Now comes the trick!

Using the old rice cooker of the missus, the big 5 litres w. cook and warm features, and insert in the water the cooled innoculated milk, close the lid and go to bed.

The temperature is just right, about 120F or 40-42 oC

In the morning I have yoghurt, just have to cool it in the fridget,You can use small containers such as mason jars or any suitable product, I use the old/sterilized in the microwave yoghurt container of the bigger size also from Tops, just dont scald the lid it will warp and not fit anymore.

I dont know the prize for a yoghurt maker, besides here in the town I did not see any for sale.

Guten Appetit

I also make cheese, but the Rennin is not available here where I live and I have devised another methode o make the milk curl, by using fresh lemmon jiuce, or the broiled/filtered water from STINGING NETTLES, found in the backyard.

Since I grow Baobab trees in my gardens (one is already 30 feet tall and have nursed from seeds collected in Tanzania on Songo Songo island when drilling for gas there, the leaves were boiled (can be eaten as Spinach or Kale. dried leaves are a good tea, mixed with other dried leaves form my garden) the molasse filtered and a 1/2 added to milk, and here we have almost cheese.

Boiling the milk and the temperetures almost the same as when making yoghurt, filtering the Wye from the curd is done by using Kau Niau cloth bought at the weekend marked, must be the fine mesh type like muslin, otherwise some of the curd is squeezed through and lost.

I hang then the squeezed/twisted cheese on a string on the ceiling in the kitchen, I have my own pantry, the old lady is burning her rice in the lean-to thai kitchen.

Sometimes when I have a lot of milk, and make cheese(and yoghurt),

the kitchen looks like a cave with cheese dripping, and the smell, Heaven on Earth.

I used to grow mushroom of many kind, used Para tree sawdust and pvc bags, and sterilized all in my autoclaves, discarded old Hospital ones, which I bought cheep years ago and converted to gasfiring by using Tuk Tuk fuel tanks bought from a junk dealer, (they call me for nothing :The TInkerer, or in german=Tueftler).

Mahlzeit

I buy fresh milk from a farm nearby in the North of Thailand. Sells for 300 Baht for 10 litres.

Heat in a waterbath system (pot in pot),to prevent burning the milk to 80-85 degrees C, thats 185 F, than cool the milk-pot in the kitchen sink filled with ice-water to 40-45 degree C, than stir in slowly the yoghurt.

Now comes the trick!

Using the old rice cooker of the missus, the big 5 litres w. cook and warm features, and insert in the water the cooled innoculated milk, close the lid and go to bed.

In the morning I have yoghurt, just have to cool it in the fridget,You can use small containers such as mason jars or any suitable product, I use the old/sterilized in the microwave yoghurt container of the bigger size also from Tops, just dont scald the lid it will warp and not fit anymore.

I dont know the prize for a yoghurt maker, besides here in the town I did not see any for sale.

Guten Appetit

I also make cheese, but the Rennin is not available here where I live and I have devised another methode o make the milk curl, by using fresh lemmon jiuce, or the broiled/filtered water from STINGING NETTLES, found in the backyard.

Since I grow Baobab trees in my gardens (one is already 30 feet tall and have nursed from seeds collected in Tanzania on Songo Songo island when drilling for gas there, the leaves were boiled (can be eaten as Spinach or Kale. dried leaves are a good tea, mixed with other dried leaves form my garden) the molasse filtered and a 1/2 added to milk, and here we have almost cheese.

Boiling the milk and the temperetures almost the same as when making yoghurt, filtering the Wye from the curd is done by using Kau Niau cloth bought at the weekend marked, must be the fine mesh type like muslin, otherwise some of the curd is squeezed through and lost.

I hang then the squeezed/twisted cheese on a string on the ceiling in the kitchen, I have my own pantry, the old lady is burning her rice in the lean-to thai kitchen.

the kitchen looks like a cave with cheese dripping, and the smell, Heaven on Earth.

I used to grow mushroom of many kind, used Para tree sawdust and pvc bags, and sterilized all in my autoclaves, discarded old Hospital ones, which I bought cheep years ago and converted to gasfiring by using Tuk Tuk fuel tanks bought from a junk dealer, (they call me for nothing :The TInkerer, or in german=Tueftler).

Mahlzeit

I should patenting my idea with the Rice cooker for making yoghurt and cheese, but I guess some of my TV forum friends already had the Knack and do the same as me.

Please let me know your experience with that, willya?

Now comes the trick!

Guten Appetit

Since I grow Baobab trees in my gardens (one is already 30 feet tall and have nursed from seeds collected in Tanzania on Songo Songo island when drilling for gas there, the leaves were boiled (can be eaten as Spinach or Kale. dried leaves are a good tea, mixed with other dried leaves form my garden) the molasse filtered and a 1/2 cup added to 1 gal. milk, and here we have almost cheese.

Boiling the milk and the temperetures almost the same as when making yoghurt, filtering the Wye from the curd is done by using Kau Niau (sticky rice) cloth bought at the weekend marked, must be the fine mesh type like muslin, otherwise some of the curd is squeezed through and lost.

I hang then the squeezed/twisted cheese-bag on a string on the ceiling in the kitchen, I have my own pantry, the old lady is burning her rice in the lean-to thai kitchen.

I leave it hanging for 2-3 days to cure the cheese, then put it in the fridge, or it it off rightaway.

Mahlzeit

Thanks for the posts, you have some great ideas on producing rennet, I'm going to look into this more and try it out.

Making yogurt in rice cookers and crockpots is very common, but I find my rice cookers have been too hot when on warm (around 50C), maybe it's just my cheap rice cooker though and should invest in a decent one. I guess it's a bit cooler up north, but here in Bangkok, if I close the windows and don't have aircon on, the room will be about 38 C so great for making yogurt. I just do the same as you with 'scalding' the milk and then once it's cooled down to just above blood temperature (no need to use a thermometer, just a clean finger) I add a cup of yogurt saved from the previous batch. 8 - 10 hours later, stick it in the fridge to cool and done. Perfect every time.

I'm very envious of you getting fresh milk from a farm, sadly thats not going to happen here in the capital. I find the Dairy Home brand the best here though.

• 1 month later...

HomeMade-Cheese Co. is unsweetend using 100% milk and nothing more but cultures. they make the best Yogurt in Bangkok or best yogurt in Thailand to my opinion and have also amazing Greek Yogurt.

all their products are made in Bangkok.

Tops Super Market started selling their own unsweetend yogurt under their own brand "My Choice Yogurt" can find it in Chidlom and some other branches. its very good with premium quality

Edited by aaaa1
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

HomeMade-Cheese Co. are the best fresh yogurt suppliers in Bangkok, Thailand.

i agree they have excellent products and are doing premium quality.

now we just need them to make more kinds of cheese...

HomeMade-Cheese Co. is unsweetend using 100% milk and nothing more but cultures. they make the best Yogurt in Bangkok or best yogurt in Thailand to my opinion and have also amazing Greek Yogurt.

Tops Super Market started selling their own unsweetend yogurt under their own brand "My Choice Yogurt" can find it in Chidlom and some other branches. its very good with premium quality

I have been making Yogurt for years in a crock pot, it takes a lot of time but it is so easy.

I put two liters of milk in my crock pot, plug it in, put it on low setting, let it heat for 2 3/4 hours and turn it off and let it set for 3 more hours, after 3 hours I take out a cup of warm milk to this cup I add a cup of yogurt from my last batch, mix it well and then whisk it into the rest of the milk.

Then wrap the crock pot in 3 large beach towels or a blanket and let it culture over night in the morning you have some great yogurt.

For thicker yogurt let it hang over a bowl and drips out the whey, when the yogurt is at the consistency that you like. Take it out of the close-weave white cloth and place it in the refrigerator.

It will remain good as long as it would have as milk using the same (expiration date), buy the milk with the longest time till its expiration date.

If you want yogurt cheese let it hang in the fridge till all the whey has been expelled, Season it with a little salt, herbs, honey, fruit of your choice etc

The time is very important when using a crock pot, at 2 3/4 hours the milk has been heated on low to the right temp, unplug it and let it rest again after 3 hours rest it is at the right temp to began to culture, let it culture 8 hours or overnight

Cheers:wai2.gif .

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a polystyrene cooler box from Macro for about 50 baht, I make up the yoghurt put it in a plastic container, tuck it into the box and leave for 24 hours then strain it for another hour. Result is very tart thick yoghurt, not to everybody's taste but we like it that way.

It goes lumpy (which is normal) and can be stirred out after straining. I tried doing it with the stick blender, but it went too 'fluffy' so I do it by hand. From a 2 litre bottle of milk, I get about a litre of yoghurt and a litre of yoghurt water which I use for fruit shakes, lassi or in bread making.

As the taste deteriorates after 4 or 5 uses, I make a batch with shop bought yoghurt and add the innards of a couple of pro-biotic capsules for the extra bacteria strains, freeze it in 12 separate containers and use a new one every month.

Definitely worth while.

HomeMade-Cheese Co. are the best fresh yogurt suppliers in Bangkok, Thailand.

i agree they have excellent products and are doing premium quality.

now we just need them to make more kinds of cheese...

post-134675-0-44245700-1381216820_thumb.

Thailand is hot, you don't need a yoghurt maker, just container with a top.

You don't need unsweetened yoghurt as a starter, if it has active bacteria, and you don't add sugar, sweetened starter will produce unsweetened yoghurt.

Runny or not, depends on the starter, the factories add thickening agents, so a thick natural starter will probably give you better results.

Makro sell pots of live unsweetened yoghurt for 51bht, try that as a starter.

Edited by FiftyTwo

• 1 month later...

I've only made yogurt once but was amazed at how simple it is. The recipe I used called for a heating pad rather than a serious appliance. I was looking for the recipe and found this instead, coconut milk (cream) yogurt instead. That sounds like it could be amazingly good. I will try it.

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2012/03/yoghurt/

As the taste deteriorates after 4 or 5 uses, I make a batch with shop bought yoghurt and add the innards of a couple of pro-biotic capsules for the extra bacteria strains, freeze it in 12 separate containers and use a new one every month.

If the taste deteriorates, it means you are some how contaminating your bacteria culture.

Spoon in mouth then back in the culture would do that or finger in culture.

There are many ways for making homemade yogurt, mine is on post #16, whatever works the best for you is the process that is the "Best" for you!

However you make yogurt, you have control over its thickness, the runny yogurt is simply yogurt that has retained to much whey. To thicken yogurt hang it in a close weaved white cloth and let it drain (checking it often) until it reaches the consistency you desire. If you want yogurt cheese let it drain this way over night in the fridge.

If you like a tart yogurt, the longer you let the yogurt culture the tart (er) the taste *(8) hour for a less tart yogurt, 12 + hours (overnight) for a Tart-ier taste.

Also the amount of "Dutchie" plain yogurt starter you use a 1/2 cup for a less tart taste and a whole cup for a tart-er taste. ( using 2 liters of milk)

You also have control over the taste a full plain yogurt taste, you can sweeten it up the way and sweetness you like or add any other flavor you desire.

Its all up to you!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman