Post Office Box In Chiang Mai

Gonzo the Face

I have had the same post office box in Chiang Mai for close to 20 years now. Sometimes it comes in handy for a number of reasons.

While I don't remember what the annual fee was all those long years ago, I do know that the increases have been minimal.

But today, I really got a shocker...

Last year the annual rate for the size box I have was 160 Baht.

Today I went to renew it and for the next year the fee has gone up from 160 baht to 500 baht for the year.

Thats like triple ! ! !

Anyone else have a P O Box and have your rates jumped so drastically?

Gonzo

Strange that there seem to be different rates.

Does anyone know if these offices are privately owned or are they part of the postal department ?

elektrified ..... YOU GOT YOUR DEPOSIT BACK ???????

This is Thailand & that is the strangest thing I've heard in years

Maybe these offices are not Thai owned

Strange that there seem to be different rates.

Does anyone know if these offices are privately owned or are they part of the postal department ?

elektrified ..... YOU GOT YOUR DEPOSIT BACK ???????

This is Thailand & that is the strangest thing I've heard in years

Maybe these offices are not Thai owned

Yes Gonzo. I am quite sure that others have posted the same regarding the deposit. When I got the 500 Baht bill, I asked "what's up with this bill?" The guy there at Mae Ping Post who sits at the desk in the back told me that all P.O. boxes in Thailand (the size I have) have been raised to 500 Baht. But he told me that I would be credited for my 350 (I think it was 350) Baht key deposit and that I only had to pay 150 Baht this year and of course the full 500 for each additional year.

These offices are all Thai government offices 100%.

Why do you guys have PO boxes? Do you not get mail at your house? What is the advantage?

And 500 baht for a whole year seems pretty cheap.

I'm about to move into a new house in Chiang Mai, should I wait and see if the post delivers good or should I get a PO Box like you all have?

I do receive about 4 or 5 packages a year from the states from my parents but other than that it's just my TOT bill and my UBC bill.

Why do you guys have PO boxes? Do you not get mail at your house? What is the advantage?

I live in a rented room although I like it, I never know if I would move to another room or house so I want somewhat of a permanent address. Unless I moved far from the Ping river, I'll keep the box.

Not that cheap, since according to the USA PO website, you can get a small box for as low as $20/year. Now, 160b was cheap.

I'm about to move into a new house in Chiang Mai, should I wait and see if the post delivers good or should I get a PO Box like you all have?

I do receive about 4 or 5 packages a year from the states from my parents but other than that it's just my TOT bill and my UBC bill.

I got mine when I was living in a appartment block and sometimes things didn't arrive, since I moved to an house last year things arrive ok, but I kept my p.o box on as all the family and friends back home had the address so it was just easier to keep it.

I got mine when I was living in a appartment block and sometimes things didn't arrive, since I moved to an house last year things arrive ok, but I kept my p.o box on as all the family and friends back home had the address so it was just easier to keep it.

I'm in the same situation as thaimiller. Also I live in Sansai and the guy delivers post on a motorcycle. He will not deliver even the smallest boxes so I end up picking them up all the time. For me its easier to go to the Mae Ping branch than Sansai as I'm in the city frequently and its just more convenient.

I live in a rented room although I like it, I never know if I would move to another room or house so I want somewhat of a permanent address. Unless I moved far from the Ping river, I'll keep the box.

Not that cheap, since according to the USA PO website, you can get a small box for as low as $20/year. Now, 160b was cheap.

Not sure where you can find a PO Box in the US for $20 a year. I have the smallest size (3 IN X 5.5 IN) and just paid US$72.00 annual rental. My Bangkok box is about four times as large. Sad to see B150 fee go but B500 (+/- US$15) is still not a bad deal.

Not sure where you can find a PO Box in the US for $20 a year. I have the smallest size (3 IN X 5.5 IN) and just paid US$72.00 annual rental. My Bangkok box is about four times as large. Sad to see B150 fee go but B500 (+/- US$15) is still not a bad deal.

It does depend on where the PO is located so I guess if you live in North Dakota, it would be much cheap then NYC. Where I lived in Tucson AZ, within 5 miles, the USPS website showed the smallest box for $44 and $60.

Edited by vagabond48

Hello, All.

If you have questions about the Thai Postal system, there is a link on their website (which has English language) to contact the equivalent of a US Postmaster General.

In my experience for the last 5 years or so I have had much better luck with the Thai Post system than with USPS. That is my experience.

I contacted the Thai Post from the internet and they answered me quickly and efficiently.

MSPain

Hello, All.

If you have questions about the Thai Postal system, there is a link on their website (which has English language) to contact the equivalent of a US Postmaster General.

In my experience for the last 5 years or so I have had much better luck with the Thai Post system than with USPS. That is my experience.

I contacted the Thai Post from the internet and they answered me quickly and efficiently.

MSPain

There must be a committee in the Big Mango looking at ways to sqeeze more $ from the farange.The ATM 150B was aimed at farange I wonder what is next. My guess is Immigration fees !! It started with the resident certificate you need for many reasons. It was free, now they want 500B for a piece of paper ! 1 more BS fee and I for one will be packing. Sawadee Krap.