Port Forwarding A Cat Telecom Modem

handydog

I have a Merlin x720 from Cat Telecom.

Is it possible to port forward this device?

I am unable to get a stable port when i am downloading / uploading. Is this a feature of Cat?

My personal preference is to use utorrent, Is there another program that would make it easier to have incomming connections?

Regards

Glenn

:)

AFAIK you are assigned a private IP address by CAT, which means you are basically invisible from the internet.

Easiest way to understand is that CAT has a big ADSL modem in their office, which is handing out private IP addresses to all the PC's which are attached to it through the EVDO modems.

So portforwarding would have to be done in their office as it is the first point where all traffic goes onto a public IP address!

Pretty much the same for most mobile internet connections. Both Dtac and AIS have the same on their GPRS/Edge system...

AFAIK you are assigned a private IP address by CAT, which means you are basically invisible from the internet.

Easiest way to understand is that CAT has a big ADSL modem in their office, which is handing out private IP addresses to all the PC's which are attached to it through the EVDO modems.

So portforwarding would have to be done in their office as it is the first point where all traffic goes onto a public IP address!

Pretty much the same for most mobile internet connections. Both Dtac and AIS have the same on their GPRS/Edge system...

Thanks for a clear amswer Monty.

I suspected it was the way you discribed.

I get the feeling that the ip address must be constantly changing during a session, as there is the frequent occasion when all is well with utorrent and I have incomming connections.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I'm using A CAT USB 3.1 Mbps modem and at best getting about 100KBps out of it (sometime dropping to about 20), even though I pretty much always have a red 'not connectable' icon at the bottom.

What I want to know is - what are the best settings (prefernces) on utorrent? Particularly the number of connections in the 'Bandwidth' sub menu. I've played around with them a little, but because it's so dependant on the quality of the torrents at the time, it's so hard to tell.