Esp, More Airbags

moo9

Cars, even produced in Thailand, are mostly not cheaper compared with European markets but lack safety equipment like Airbags (standard in Europe is now 4-6) and certainly ESP (which is as important as ABS).

Double standard, but this time the opposite way, as Thai's are cheated (and Farang residents as well).

I wonder whether anybody has a logic explanation for this? Imho, the producers know well that the average Thai customer does not care about this too much, so they won't throw the equipment in the basket. It's quite sad, especially when considering the number of road crash victims.

Cheers

Moo9

My Accord 2008, 2,4/180hp has 8 airbags and ESP. My Camry 2007 2,4/165hp had only 4 airbags and ESP. Corolla top model has ESP, and Fortuner and top model Vigo since november 2008. 2 airbags in Yaris isnt bad, and Yaris is absolutely not in need for ESP. Its glued to the road :)

The thing I like best about ESP is the OFF switch. Prefere to control the vehicle myself, except if I m half asleep on icy roads

But I must admit, LOS car/truck manufactorers are cheap on passiv safety stuff, probably because the market doesnt care.

Edited by katabeachbum

Cars, even produced in Thailand, are mostly not cheaper compared with European markets but lack safety equipment like Airbags (standard in Europe is now 4-6) and certainly ESP (which is as important as ABS).

Double standard, but this time the opposite way, as Thai's are cheated (and Farang residents as well).

I wonder whether anybody has a logic explanation for this? Imho, the producers know well that the average Thai customer does not care about this too much, so they won't throw the equipment in the basket. It's quite sad, especially when considering the number of road crash victims.

Cheers

Moo9

Many of the pickups marketed in Europe are manufactured in Thailand ie Triton / L200 in uk, just different spec. and cheaper here :)

Cheers

Moo9

Many of the pickups marketed in Europe are manufactured in Thailand ie Triton / L200 in uk, just different spec. and cheaper here :)

Can you imagine how much the car insurances would incrise, if they had to pay, let's say 50'k for blowed air bags in any accident? This would be over with a yearly 3'000 Baht thirt partie insurance. I personaly prefere more solid steel around my car, instead of air bags.

The thing I like best about ESP is the OFF switch. Prefere to control the vehicle myself, except if I m half asleep on icy roads

Hi, are you sure what you are talking about? ESP tends to be more important than ABS in many situations.

Well Camry. Accord top models have ESP (like mine), but the masses will not buy those cars.

Edited by moo9

Can you imagine how much the car insurances would incrise, if they had to pay, let's say 50'k for blowed air bags in any accident? This would be over with a yearly 3'000 Baht thirt partie insurance. I personaly prefere more solid steel around my car, instead of air bags.

I agree, the insurance companies will prefer to pay your medical bill or your funeral....;-) And in the ultimate case they would be happy to lose a customer who would not file claims....

Solid steel serves you nothing in case it is not well designed and other materials than steel do offer better physical properties to safe the passenger cell.

Just my one cent.

Hi, are you sure what you are talking about? ESP tends to be more important than ABS in many situations.

Well Camry. Accord top models have ESP (like mine), but the masses will not buy those cars.

Electronic Stability Program, developed by Bosch and MB. If car looses traction, one or more wheels have brakes applied or engine power reduced, or both, to gain traction again. Toyota calls it VSC, vehicle stability control.

Excellent for inexperineced or sleepy drivers, but normally I drive much better myself. Driven on ice and snow 5 months a year for 25 years.

ABS, anti blockier system, developed by Bosch and MB in the early 80s. Sensors check each wheel to see if its blocked during braking. If so, brake on that wheel reduced until traction gained again. Severeal times a second.

Electronic Stability Program, developed by Bosch and MB. If car looses traction, one or more wheels have brakes applied or engine power reduced, or both, to gain traction again. Toyota calls it VSC, vehicle stability control.

Excellent for inexperineced or sleepy drivers, but normally I drive much better myself. Driven on ice and snow 5 months a year for 25 years.

ABS, anti blockier system, developed by Bosch and MB in the early 80s. Sensors check each wheel to see if its blocked during braking. If so, brake on that wheel reduced until traction gained again. Severeal times a second.

That I knew already. But even as an experienced driver you can get in a tricky situation, for example avoiding a non lighted motorcycle in a curve in rainy conditions.....

That's why I stress that ESP is a very important security feature, and new cars without it are non saleable in Europe as of today (except for very low priced Dacia's or so).

That I knew already. But even as an experienced driver you can get in a tricky situation, for example avoiding a non lighted motorcycle in a curve in rainy conditions.....

That's why I stress that ESP is a very important security feature, and new cars without it are non saleable in Europe as of today (except for very low priced Dacia's or so).

I thought you knew, but you said I didnt know :)

I dont mind having ESP as long as I can switch it OFF when I want to drive really fast, sometimes with a drift.

Thai car buyers are not focused on safety unless its visible, like airbags and Xenon. They all buy autogear and as high visible spec they can afford. In Europe buyers are more focused on safetyequipment like ESP, and choose smaller cars less flashy/no auto to afford this.

Hi.

In Germany one can get an Isuzu D-Max with heater, cruise control and rear seat belts (also in the Space-Cab variant). Neither of those three is available in Thailand but the ones sold in Germany are MADE IN THAILAND.

Of course it costs quite a bit more in Germany than here, 990,000 Baht vs. 700,000 here for the same body/engine/gearbox version. Mine's got airbags, ESP, ABS etc as well.

Best regards....

Thanh