Advice For 4 Week Trip To Penang From Bkk

Can anyone recommend a nice 4 week trip from BKK to Penang...I want to do some beach life, resting and avoiding high cost places...wahts a popular route from BKK to Penang ?

I intend to this by public transport.

all advice appreciated

My advice would be to go somewhere else.

The beaches in Penang leave a lot to be desired and it ain't that cheap. There are many better places to go within Thailand, if you are on a budget why not look at somewhere like Koh Samet.

3 days there and I was going insane from boredom. That was in Georgetown though, didn't bother with the beaches. Good luck with the 4 weeks.

Train can get you close by there. Plane is cheap on air asia.

3 days there and I was going insane from boredom. That was in Georgetown though, didn't bother with the beaches. Good luck with the 4 weeks.

Train can get you close by there. Plane is cheap on air asia.

Yes I went to Georgetown as well, I was excited to go.

I could not wait to get back into Thailand, the place was so small, and quite old fashioned.

It was so boring, maybe you should re-consider.

I have never met anyone who actualy likes the place, although I must say that the people there were nice and friendly.

Penang in general and Georgetown in particular is very run-down.

The beaches are nothing to write home about.

You can take a train from Bkk to Butterworth ( takes about 24hrs???)

Why not try the south western provinces and on to Langawi

The beaches do look nice there

For the first leg of the trip I would take the train to Surathani then from there take the ferry to Kho Samui and spend a week. Then continue on by bus or train to Penang. Contrary to what other posters have said Penang is a pretty nice town to visit but about 3 days should be enough then maybe a couple of days at the beach. From Penang head back north by either train or bus to Hat Yai then from there catch a bus to Phuket. A few days there then take a bus on to Krabi with a few days stopover at Khao Sok national park. Lots of interesting places to stay in the park itself. From Krabi continue north and if you have some time left stop off in Hua Hin before returning to Bangkok. You didn't mention it but I assume you are returning to Bangkok?

He is aksing for advice what he can do on the way from BKK to Penang in 4 weeks, not 4 weeks on Penang, as far as I understood. And there are are plenty of options.

Thank goodness! I also thought he was asking about what to do in Penang for 4 weeks, and coiuld only advise him trim it down to 4 days instead -- really not much to do there from what I remember.

He is aksing for advice what he can do on the way from BKK to Penang in 4 weeks, not 4 weeks on Penang, as far as I understood. And there are are plenty of options.

Thank goodness! I also thought he was asking about what to do in Penang for 4 weeks, and coiuld only advise him trim it down to 4 days instead -- really not much to do there from what I remember.

In Thailand I still like Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai (zoo also interesting).

You might want to see Chinatown in Bangkok, take a boat ride down/up the river......and if you like Mexican food Tacos and Salsa is the place to go.

Lots of beach life......Phuket is thought by many to be the best. I personally think Koh Samui is boring. Pattaya-Jomtien has long beaches but the water is polluted, and seems like it gets worse every year......too many murders and suicides.

There is another thread going about Penang.......see the section on Southeast Asia. Many people have characterized it as boring, but some have good things to say about it, especially if you are not interested in the Pattaya-type of action.

Have a nice trip.

THANKS everyone !!

Thanks Spainiel especially...

Yes I meant 4 weeks to travel from BKK to Penang NOT 4 weeks in Penang.

Thansk for the tips.

Arrive to Bangkok June 24....any one up for a beer then send me a pm....I am an irish lad (aged 44) a victim of the IT recession in Munich and just bumming round asia for 6 months (but with a wedding in Penang in August to go too..)

THANKS all