Healthy Thai Food

TheLaughingMan

I recently totally changed my diet, eliminating most sugar and eating alot of whole wheat: rice, bread and pasta along with low fat protein and drinking only water. I basically dont eat Thai food, everything Thai I order is covered in sugar, grease or msg.... totally unhealthy. I would really like to eat Thai food again but really dont know what dishes might be healthy. Anyone?

One's diet should be a way of life, a life-style, a noun, not an adverb, not some fad way to lose a couple pounds.

You should do it scientifically and get a real good medical first, to make sure all the vitals are working OK

If ya work out in the gym enough, one can eat almost everything, in moderation.

Next to sashimi, Thai food is excellent. McDonalds & cheesecake are not Thai.

Its calories in, vs calories out. Common sense.

Anything in a box, bag, packet or tin is garbage - empty calories. Lose them.

Fresh fruit & veg is a great start - ya got the water part correct - 10/12 glasses min.

Your brain dont know the difference between thirst & hunger - go with the H2O first.

BR>Jack

I recently totally changed my diet, eliminating most sugar and eating alot of whole wheat: rice, bread and pasta along with low fat protein and drinking only water. I basically dont eat Thai food, everything Thai I order is covered in sugar, grease or msg.... totally unhealthy. I would really like to eat Thai food again but really dont know what dishes might be healthy. Anyone?

Cutting out sugar is a good move, but eating processed wheat will undermine your efforts.

Pretty much any traditional Thai food will be good if you can convince them to leave out sugar. Convincing them to not add syrup to fruit juice is hard too.

I don't think they use much/any hydrogenated oils, so their fried stuff should be relatively ok.

One's diet should be a way of life, a life-style, a noun, not an adverb, not some fad way to lose a couple pounds.

You should do it scientifically and get a real good medical first, to make sure all the vitals are working OK

Fresh fruit & veg is a great start - ya got the water part correct - 10/12 glasses min.

Your brain dont know the difference between thirst & hunger - go with the H2O first.

BR>Jack

My brain knows the difference between thirst and hunger, and calories in calories out will only keep you slim, not healthy.

Id be interested to know if anyone can offer advice to the OP, as most if not all Thai food i see is as he described.

The only food i order which i know is what i'd think healthy is fish or various plain meats with rice.

Most vegetables served in Thai dishes are so overcooked theyve lost all goodness.

Best option is to cook for yourself.

Edited by sanmiguellight

:)

My Thai girlfriend had a Gall Bladder operation about a year ago. Now she has to eat a diet of low fat, low calorie, mostly vegatable and high fiber foods. No fatty meats allowed. She cooks her own meals, usually from local vegatables and fruits she buys from local farmers. The food she makes is, of course, Thai food that she learned to cook from her mother 40 to 50 years ago. That was before everything was stir fied, cooked in oil, and smothered with MSG. Believe it or not, the knowledge of how the people of that time made real Thai food that was healthy is still around. It is the "westernization" of the last 50 years that has changed the Thai diet to a high fat, high oil, and unhealthy, diet.

It will be hard to do, but you have to insist on Thai food like stews and soups without the oils, without the fats, and using healthy vegatables and lean meat. If you can't find that outside in the market, you have to learn to do it yourself. Learn how to cook healthy Thai food. It was once the way Thai food was cooked, before the curent high fat, high oil, stir fried era started.

:D

BR>Jack

I think you missed my point, Thai food is not excellent, but yes Japanese over all is very healthy and I do eat a lot of that. As I said Thai food is loaded with sugar, grease and worst of all msg, I think you would be surprised to know what is actually in that "healthy" Thai food they are serving you. The answer is to make sure the restaurant at my apartment takes me seriously when I order Thai food and tell them no sugar no msg. Was just hoping there was another secret to Thai food, someone mentioned the traditional way, Im not going to marry a Thai woman just to find a traditional Thai cook but wish that style of cooking was more prevalent.

Im not dieting to lose weight, just be healthy and keep me alive longer.

Tw25rw: I am eating whole grain wheat pasta, rice and bread; surely you didnt mean that when you warned me about processed wheat?

I think you missed my point, Thai food is not excellent, but yes Japanese over all is very healthy and I do eat a lot of that. As I said Thai food is loaded with sugar, grease and worst of all msg,

Thai people aren't fat though. That's one change I look forward to when we move to Thailand. Here in the US I am sick to death of seeing fat people everywhere.

I think you missed my point, Thai food is not excellent, but yes Japanese over all is very healthy and I do eat a lot of that. As I said Thai food is loaded with sugar, grease and worst of all msg,

Thai people aren't fat though. That's one change I look forward to when we move to Thailand. Here in the US I am sick to death of seeing fat people everywhere.

My wife and I have been travelling all around Thailand since the first of the year, and we notice Thais are heavier in certain cities, especially the women. We've noticed what seems to be a larger percentage of heavy women, especially young women, in the Chanthaburi area. We wondered if having so much durian growing there contributed to that, since durian is loaded with fat. Most younger women in Lopburi tend to be slim. Who know why, not important. Sorry for off topic.

I didn't realize it was msg the Thai used in their cooking. I thought it was plain salt. Everything is so salty here my tongue and mouth feel shrunk after eating. I drown myself in water just to quench the thirst and to try to flush out the sodium. Excessive sodium as you surely know, is bad in a number of ways.

Although it is not Thai per se, salmon is excellent because of the Omega-3 fats. Expensive and not easy to find here though because I guess it is a cold water fish.

Eating Thai food everyday for the past two years has done a great deal in improving my health. I've spent the youth/adult years of my life eating mostly fast food crap in the States. Surprised I haven't croaked by now. I shudder to think what my body looks like inside.

Edited by Lopburi99

My wife and I have been travelling all around Thailand since the first of the year, and we notice Thais are heavier in certain cities, especially the women. We've noticed what seems to be a larger percentage of heavy women, especially young women, in the Chanthaburi area. We wondered if having so much durian growing there contributed to that, since durian is loaded with fat. Most younger women in Lopburi tend to be slim. Who know why, not important. Sorry for off topic.

I didn't realize it was msg the Thai used in their cooking. I thought it was plain salt. Everything is so salty here my tongue and mouth feel shrunk after eating. I drown myself in water just to quench the thirst and to try to flush out the sodium. Excessive sodium as you surely know, is bad in a number of ways.

Although it is not Thai per se, salmon is excellent because of the Omega-3 fats. Expensive and not easy to find here though because I guess it is a cold water fish.

Eating Thai food everyday for the past two years has done a great deal in improving my health. I've spent the youth/adult years of my life eating mostly fast food crap in the States. Surprised I haven't croaked by now. I shudder to think what my body looks like inside.

Durian is a fruit and the fat inside is healthy fat ( monounsaturated) . It containt high amounts of carbohydrates which are very nutrient . Treat it like a banana , do not eat a lot of it but 1 piece a day is fine . You have to treat it like a banana , it means it will make you fat if you do eat a lot of it . It is however like a banana still a fruit and so very healthy for you ,like all fruits .

Be healthy , do eat at least 3 different kinds of fruit a day ... since you are in Thailand it shouldn't be any trouble . Lean meat ... well chicken is not bad if you can stay away from the stirfried ones . Fish is plenty available in most parts of Thailand so do eat those . Crawfish and shrimps , try to not eat them on a daily basis because they do contain some cholesterol . Rice is ok and any vegetable is fine also .

I don't think Thai food is unhealthy it is just how some people prepare it. My wife doesn't use MSG, sugar or high cholesterol oils when she cooks. We also substitute chicken, fish and tofu in place of pork or beef. You can make a healthy hamburger but McDonalds won't...

Ya well for us single men or married to foreign women we don't have the luxury of healthily prepared thai food short of learning to cook it ourselves. Anywhere I go to order Thai food they put in a huge spoon of msg and a huge spoon of sugar. Frustrating. I'm saying Thai food is unhealthy if you are watching your health, not your weight, I'm sure it is still leaner food than all the North American fast food crap. I'm looking for truly healthy alternatives though, low fat, low sugar, no chemicals.

Hamburger is a fatty meat.

I would really like to eat Thai food again but really dont know what dishes might be healthy. Anyone?

Try Khao Klookapi. ( God knows how its spelt ) Fairly healthy as Thai food goes. Of southern ( Indonesian ? ) origin. Consists of rice with raw shredded mango, green bean, onion, shredded omelette, small dried shrimps with a sauce on top......very cheap and tasty. No MSG, not fried, no sugar, plenty of raw veg. very little meat ( in the sauce )

Just another note to the post.You should not be eating white rice,only black,brown,purple or red.White rice will raise your cholesteral and your sugar level.

Ya... that's why I said I'm only eating WHOLE WHEAT. hehe When I say I've cut out all sugar I mean it, the sugar from starchy white rice and bread is out out out.

If your lazy this is not an option, but normally if you train your ass of in the gym, you can eat anything.

I train very hard, this used to be enough but now that I'm in my thirties it is very hard to keep a 6 pack and eat whatever I like. I need to be very lean for my work (I'm a chippendales dancer - not) so need to take drastic super healthy measures to keep fit as I'm getting older. Bye bye all my favorite icecream and white Japanese rice and hel_l no to french fries and regular Thai food.

If your lazy this is not an option, but normally if you train your ass of in the gym, you can eat anything.

This is the best answer, training is better then any diet around, people who sit on the ass all way eating healthy food wont be close to as healthy as someone eating pizza every day and going for a 3 km run or 10 km walk.

Thai food is generally very healthy, there is healthy and unhealthy dishes, just like in all food around the world.

I know so many healthy Thai dishes but i cant remember the names of them.

BR>Jack

"Thai food is excellent."

I would have thought Thai as amongst the least healthiest. Palm oil is loaded with trans fats and mostly used for cooking, also their is not a single item either packaged in the supermarket or bought at a restaurant that doesn't contain MSG. I eat it cause it tastes good :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you stick to items that are heavy on veggies and lighter on meat (Thai food is great for this) avoid excesses of noodles and rice, you can easily live on Thai food and have a good diet. Green papaya salad is on of my favorite Thai foods and it is healthy as can be.

It is never one cuisine or one food that is not healthy for you, it is how much you indulge in that food. Everything is good for you even if it is just your soul you are feeding at that moment.

Palm oil is not good indeed. Better to use olive oil.

That's what we use, olive oil. Also canola for cooking. The problem is you start searching around the web long enough and for sure you'll find experts? critical of these oils, and all oils. Don't know what you're supposed to use.

Palm oil is not good indeed. Better to use olive oil.

That's what we use, olive oil. Also canola for cooking. The problem is you start searching around the web long enough and for sure you'll find experts? critical of these oils, and all oils. Don't know what you're supposed to use.

Butter mainly, it's used alot here. But different style of cooking etc. But butter is not healthy

I guess you have never been to Thailand ( no fat people? ) you make me laugh I pick up my nephew from school nearly every day and most of the kids are obese and a lot of elderly people too.

Stop watching the television about all the slim Thai girls and come here and see it for your self :)

I guess you have never been to Thailand ( no fat people? ) you make me laugh I pick up my nephew from school nearly every day and most of the kids are obese and a lot of elderly people too.

Stop watching the television about all the slim Thai girls and come here and see it for your self :)

'Fat' is relative to what you're used to. I remember thinking I had some fat friends in the UK and then I went to Florida. I have never seen so much obesity ever. It was incredible, all my so called 'fat' pals back home we're slim in comparison, I was dumbfounded.

Southern Thais are especially overweight nowadays due to diet and yes Thais in general are so much fatter than 20 years ago, it's disgraceful what some parents give their kids to eat.

Regards Bojo

Stop watching the television about all the slim Thai girls and come here and see it for your self :D

Just to add to my reply my wife has been living in the west for 5 years and eating all the bad

farang food never put on a gram now we moved to Thailand ( 2 years ) and she is eating all the healthy Thai food and put on 15 kg's :)

'Fat' is relative to what you're used to. I remember thinking I had some fat friends in the UK and then I went to Florida. I have never seen so much obesity ever. It was incredible, all my so called 'fat' pals back home we're slim in comparison, I was dumbfounded.

Southern Thais are especially overweight nowadays due to diet and yes Thais in general are so much fatter than 20 years ago, it's disgraceful what some parents give their kids to eat.

Regards Bojo

Eat rice in moderation and substitute it for noodles and vegatables

Eat pork in moderation and replace with steamed chicken

Eat plenty of the delicious thai fruits

Drink plenty of water

keep away from mcdonalds

i am 57 yo and keep to this diet,which is very tasty too,walk about 6-10k a day,moderations in drink and no ciggies and i am 120/75 and 70 bpm pulse

The weather and simple thai living is very helpful instead of working my nuts off too.

Eat rice in moderation and substitute it for noodles and vegatables

Eat pork in moderation and replace with steamed chicken

Eat plenty of the delicious thai fruits

Drink plenty of water

keep away from mcdonalds

i am 57 yo and keep to this diet,which is very tasty too,walk about 6-10k a day,moderations in drink and no ciggies and i am 120/75 and 70 bpm pulse

The weather and simple thai living is very helpful instead of working my nuts off too.

You sound like a fit person, something to be proud of, but do you ever feel you're denying yourself? I wish I had your discipline.

Regards Bojo

Bojo,

I am eating peanuts now lol.I have the odd farang food,like beef stew or spaghetti and i have even been known to have an english brekkie.

I am 6ft and 87 kilo so not too bad and packed up smoking 5 years ago when the price was 40 baht here in Pattaya,so you do need some discipline mate.My life is so good now i retired early( 7years ago),that i want to be healthy and live for many more years.

Bojo,

I am eating peanuts now lol.I have the odd farang food,like beef stew or spaghetti and i have even been known to have an english brekkie.

I am 6ft and 87 kilo so not too bad and packed up smoking 5 years ago when the price was 40 baht here in Pattaya,so you do need some discipline mate.My life is so good now i retired early( 7years ago),that i want to be healthy and live for many more years.

I was going to mention about peanuts.........

I admire your restraint, my doctor once said to me that cigarettes kill less than stress related diseases do, not sure if it's true but he's my kind of Doc!

Wishing you many more healthy years.

Regards Bojo