Peak Oil In Thailand

Swelters

"Peak Oil" is an apparently growing line of thinking in the US and UK and perhaps elsewhere with medium term global scenarios varying from Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" to major disruption of economies. (Check out Wikipedia) Has any discussion of the implications for Thailand and living in Thailand emerged on this point in Thaivisa or elsewhere? Seems to me that Thailand is an interesting laboratory for considering this subject. For example, what kind of expanded village economy "refugee" population (housing, transport, food supply, social problems) might emerge in such a scenario? To what degree does the general happiness seen throughout notwithstanding amazingly little money hold out some for the perhaps less resilient developed world? To what degree does the yellow shirt movement represent a caring concern with these matters (as claimed by a Thai friend.)

Big subject, but maybe there is already active discussion?

Swelters

I think Thailand would fair better than a lot of other countries simply because the country can provide its own food. Producing tonnes of rice, fruit and vegetables would help sustain the population.

The country would suffer badly with no fuel imports but those who have land and can support themselves would be able to survive.

I think the UK would be one of the countries to suffer the worst effects as it has to import virtually everything nowadays - fuel, food, even electricity!

A large majority of the agricultural land is used to grow eco-fuels or rape seed. When was the last time you can remember seeing fields of wheat or barley?

Peak oil is a very scary scenario and one that could easily happen with very few catalysts.

Its something that we should make plans for....