D300 Vs D90

Zeid

Dear All,

after a long 6 months of debating which DSLR to buy between the Canon, Sony alfa and Nikon,

I narrowed it down to

Sony, Great Value, but they have continuous upgrades, it makes me feel i am buying a windows software, where every few weeks there is an update. so even though i like the price and package it is being sold, i am still worried about the lenses

So it is now to D300, and D90, the price difference is not that much, so i am deciding just to go for the D300.

so any advise on the D300? worth it?

BTW, this will be my first pro or semi pro DSLR,

I'm also looking at a new dSLR (first one) and at the moment the D90 is at the top of my list. For my purpose I don't feel the D300 price is worth it for me as it leans more towards the Pro/Semi-pro user. The image quality (high ISO) seems to review better for the D90.

You can do a side by side image quality comparison benchmarks using the DXOMark imaging database.

Also, side by side photo comparison can be found here > Imaging Resources

Full comparison > Digital Review

High ISO Noise comparison > D300 vs D90 ISO noise comparison

Also, the D90 has 720 movie capability but that shouldn't weigh too heavily in the decision. A nice bonus feature only.

Does the D90 casing as good as the D300, when it comes to heat and humidity, and rain?

Nikon D90 Body is made of polycarbonate versus the Nikon D300 which is made of rugged magnesium alloy and features enhanced weather seal protection. Of course that comes at the expense of a little extra weight, 595gm vs 825gm.

Therefore the D90 is not as to say weather resistant unlike the D300, and with high humidity and rain, it will be better to get the D300, yes?

If you plan to use it often in, let's say, more hostile environments that dust/moisture could be an issue then the D300 has the better sealing. One issue to consider though is the lenses themselves, not all are well sealed so you need to investigate them also.

let me see

i do live in Dubai, it has been dusty with 56kh/h winds as reported in one of th e news papers, and ther eis always dust.

and the rest of the time in Issan.

i feel that the D300 even more expensive, but the extra sealing i will feel comfortable with especially, if there is rain.

i was offered the D300, with a $gB card, a case a Tripod, and an 18-200mm sigma VR lense for 90,000 Baht, how doe sthis price compare to thailand?

i was offered the D300, with a $gB card, a case a Tripod, and an 18-200mm sigma VR lense for 90,000 Baht, how doe sthis price compare to thailand?

I posted a list of Thai based shops that you can look over to get an idea > Online camera stores

Nikon D300 body around 54,000 Baht. A Sigma 18-200 F3.5-F6.3 is around 13,500 Baht but not sure if it has VR. However, I would suggest the Nikon 18-200mm F3.5-F5.6 VR for better glass. That's the one I've looked at and read comparative reviews on against Sigma and Tamron. It runs around 31,900 Baht for the lens.

//edit - you do need to take into account the warranty and if bought in Thailand will it be covered in Dubai.