• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 1

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

2. 64

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

3. 563

Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

4. 6

Unsafe at work: Thai experts sound the alarm on Mental Health Day

5. 53

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

6. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

7. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

8. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

9. 1

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

10. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

11. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

12. 563

White Culture

13. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

14. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

Question About Transfering Money To A Bangkok Bank Account

I left Thailand last week in a bit of a hurry. I now need to send cash to my Bangkok Bank account and i need the sort code. Trouble is i left it behind :) .

The website gives the SWIFT code and my Bank card doesn't show it. Anyone know what it is?

Also, when transferring is it necessary to use an intermediary bank? I'm sure i didn't last time.

Thanks for the help.

Andy capp

Okay, that's the SWIFT code i have. So it looks like it HAS to go through an intermediary bank?

The funds must arrive in Bangkok in Pounds Sterling and then be transfered into Baht there. Is that the best way to do it?

I just found this on Bangkok Bank's website under frequently asked questions:

How do I transfer funds to my Bangkok Bank account from overseas?

If you have an overseas bank account and want to transfer money into your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, then you need to contact your overseas bank and provide them with:

Name of the bank (Bangkok Bank)

Full name of the account

Your account number

The name of the branch where your Bangkok Bank account is held.

Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT* code: BKKBTHBK

Doesn't say anything there about using a a sort code or an intermediary bank. Anyone have any info?

Cheers

I don't think Thai registered banks have sort codes. They rely on their swift code and the customer's account number to direct any transactions. I once raised the issue of a sort code with the Siam bank I was told they don't have them.

I just found this on Bangkok Bank's website under frequently asked questions:

How do I transfer funds to my Bangkok Bank account from overseas?

If you have an overseas bank account and want to transfer money into your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, then you need to contact your overseas bank and provide them with:

Name of the bank (Bangkok Bank)

Full name of the account

Your account number

The name of the branch where your Bangkok Bank account is held.

Bangkok Bank's SWIFT* code: BKKBTHBK

Doesn't say anything there about using a a sort code or an intermediary bank. Anyone have any info?

Cheers

Sort Code are not used in Thailand. The 10 digit Thai account number is all you need. It's up to the sending bank, which intermediary bank they use..but oneway or another they will have to use one.

If you use the Bangkok Bank branch in London to transfer the money wont have to pass to any intermediary bank. You can use the over the counter service. They will charge you 15 GBP for a transfer which will take 5 days to get to Thailand or 30 GBP for next day. The next day service allows you to send the funds in GPB, but normally the London Branch is about 1 Baht less than the local rate.

You need to bring your ID and proof of address on your first visit. They also have a limit of 500 GBP per day per customer unless you provided them with proof of income/bank statment.

Best is to give them a call at: +44 207 929 4422

Good Luck!!!

My UK (private) pension is now paid into my Bangkok Bank account.

It is transferred via Citi-Bank London to Citi-Bank Bangkok and then transferred across to Bangkok Bank and presumably to my local Bank. Anyway it all seems to work ok.

Citi Bank charge 2.74 GBP per monthly transaction and BKB take off 0.25% commission.

The BIC/SWIFT code is indeed BKKBTHBK, I was once informed that the first 3 numbers on your savings account was the Branch identity code for Thailand.

The telephone number for Int funds department Bangkok Bank is 02 685 7777, they are very polite, speak good English and will confirm that your money is in your Bank on just telling them your name/account number/Branch.

Try that in UK with going through the security passwords/questions.

• 4 weeks later...

not from the UK, but i transfer to my Bangkok Bank Acct via Internet Banking from my Australian Bank account.

Swift codes are also unique to branches themselves.

My branch of the Bangkok Bank where my account is held has its own unique SWIFT CODE (as a branch identifier). Each branch will have one.

All I know it is very quick!

I am using the Commonwealth Bank Of Australia which has the inbuilt facility for looking up the Swift Code of the bank and country of choice when you set up an Overseas Transaction. As long as you know the Branch Name and Location.

my swift code for my particular Bangkok branch is. 002212

from the click of the mouse key to the time my money lands in my thai bank account is a few hours at most

All Bangkok Bank consumer accounts are expected to go to BKKBTHBK. Once in Thailand they go to the specific branch by the first three digits of the account number. I have no idea what your bank may be providing but it is not the normal SWIFT code/account number and you can confirm that on Bangkok Bank web site.

you are more than likely correct, I have just logged into my Netbank and had a look, you can look up the thai bank branches themselves within CBA Netbank and once found they enter what is basically a BSB Number for you, I would say that the actual BKKBTHBK Swift code is already hard coded into the CBAs Main Frame Computer, and applies it as soon as you select your country and bank name in the address fields, because it is not necessary to enter this when setting up an oversea transaction account.

So there you have it.

It is by far the best an easy set up I have found to date. Better exchange rate too, as long as you transfer your money to thailand in Australian Dollars and do not let the thieving Australian Banks convert it using their exchange rate beforehand. You are warned and given this option when you complete a transaction and only a fool would do otherwise!

I just love technology! Instand beer coupons at the click of a mouse button.

Western Union is expensive as hel_l

But here's my question which may have been covered somewhere before

I was in a Wells Fargo bank here in the U.S., being I'm not that good with a computer I inquired about making wire transfers from here (U.S.) to a bank in Thailand by telephone, no problem

What they can't do is allow me to make a wire transfer from Thailand using my (U.S.) Wells Fargo bank account by telephone

Any advice how I can make a wire transfer from a U.S. bank while in Thailand to my Thai bank acct by telephone

• 5 months later...
Western Union is expensive as hel_l

But here's my question which may have been covered somewhere before

I was in a Wells Fargo bank here in the U.S., being I'm not that good with a computer I inquired about making wire transfers from here (U.S.) to a bank in Thailand by telephone, no problem

What they can't do is allow me to make a wire transfer from Thailand using my (U.S.) Wells Fargo bank account by telephone

Any advice how I can make a wire transfer from a U.S. bank while in Thailand to my Thai bank acct by telephone

I think it sounds like it's time to switch banks.

(I can do a transfer on-line or by phone to Thailand - admittedly that's from a bank in the UK so you've got to get through all the security questions first).

not from the UK, but i transfer to my Bangkok Bank Acct via Internet Banking from my Australian Bank account.

Swift codes are also unique to branches themselves.

my swift code for my particular Bangkok branch is. 002212

This number is Bangkok Bank's local bank reference number - you'll also see it on cheques - (02) and your branch number. Its not a SWIFT code as such. The bank does the routing from the account number as was previously suggested. In any case, it doesn't hurt to use it; its just not required in Thailand.

I found Western very high as well until I learned of the no rush transaction and it greatly reduced the fee. But still more expensive then banks. I have found some money exchangers that charge very low prices if they have high numbers of transfers to Asian countries. Some even have better rates for various banks. Do some shopping around especially if you transfer on a regular basis. Between the transfer fees and the loss in exchange rate it is a terrible loss. The baht has terrible buy/sell rates for so many currencies. Trade in one of the main currencies.

I only transfer my wifes funds. Personally I will not put my money in Thailand. When I go I take cash, use the wifes money, credit cards or my atm. Why open an account in Thailand?