Tradesmen Working In Thailand

Hey,

I am a qualified Elecrician and fully trained Air conditioning and Refridgeration Engineer, I am wondering about what other tradesmen do for work in Thailand due to the working restrictions, is working on Oil Rigs possible ? Or other alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bailly

Hey,

I am a qualified Elecrician and fully trained Air conditioning and Refridgeration Engineer, I am wondering about what other tradesmen do for work in Thailand due to the working restrictions, is working on Oil Rigs possible ? Or other alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bailly

Don't waste your time. Work in a real country where you will earn an income comparative to your skills. Then come here to spend that money. I just paid an "electrician" 250baht ($7) for a couple of hours work around the home.

Don't waste your time. Work in a real country where you will earn an income comparative to your skills. Then come here to spend that money. I just paid an "electrician" 250baht ($7) for a couple of hours work around the home.

Thanks for your reply but i am not talking about working as an electrician as i cannot due to thai law but whether there are other options in design/consulting etc or as mentioned before if the oil rigs are a possibility, ha not suprising they are so cheap over here RCD's mounted on trees and so on !

You might be lucky to get an advisor role or something similar but I'm an electrician too, I've worked in Indonesia previously and am now going to Africa, although I spend a bit of time working, time that I'd to spend here in Thailand I like the extra pay from the other countries, something that if I wish to I could use to start a business over here at a later date or just retire early!

if the oil rigs are a possibility

If you are talking about working offshore in Thailand, forget about it, the GOT has very active nationalisiation going on, so unless you have some very specific and needed skills and have offshore experience you will not get a look in.

There are very few of us let working offshore in the GOT and numbers reducing by the year, my guess in the next 3-5 years there will only be a handful of expats left, if any...Of course if the oil price rockets again, which it may very well do, the demise of the expats in GOT will be slightly prolonged...

The basic policy at the moment although not pushing the guys out, if an expat leaves they are not being replaced by an expat, it will be Thai, also the DMF is putting more and more restrictions on being issued a work permit under the oil act, and below a certain job catagory, work permits will not be granted...ie tradesman, operators etc etc

You dont mention which country you are from, but generally to get a start offshore, you need to start getting experience in your own country first, ie if from the UK, North Sea, US - Gulf of Mexico etc etc before venturing out into the big bad world.

Thailand offshore for expats is generally "dead" and a lot of guys are looking towards Vietnam and or Cambodia (if it ever starts)

Hope this helps

Soutie

Edited by Soutpeel