Monks Push For More Alcohol-free Days In Thailand

george

If I choose to not drink but one day every 10 years what right do you have to decide that I cannot drink just that day out of some symbolic meaning to YOU?

And the roads would be safer if the police was interesting in...policing.

If you dont like the laws of the land then there is always your homne country to go back to

All the monks ask for is to stay sober during religious holidays.

That's neither here nor there. They shouldn't even consider requesting stuff like this in order to harmonise their own agenda.

They don't have their own agenda. They work within the society and they have full rights to give feedback or suggestions. Upholding Buddhism is a duty of everyone, not just monks. It's not like Thais made a deal with them - we do whatever we want and it's your job to keep the country Buddhist regardless, so don't bother us with anything.

Upholding Buddhism is a duty of everyone, not just monks.

So you are not in favour of free will and individual freedoms? What next? The Buddhist Inquisition? Do you envisage the Sangha becoming as extreme as the Taliban?

It seems to me that some enlightenment is required. This is the 21st century. Attitudes have moved on a tad.

It's kind of a moot point anyway. You can always buy beer or lao from the neighourhood shop. Silly, actually, that I can't buy a nice bottle of wine to go with dinner at foodland on the way home from work, but I can purchase beer or whiskey from a mom and pops within a 3 minutes' walk from a high school next to my house at any time! Mai bpen rai, arai gadai! Mai mee bpen ha!

Thank Buddha I am not in The States anymore, with their megachurches in every neighorhood and everyone so jesusy nowadays.

We should report every monk we see smoking, and walking around Panthip Plaza. They aren't supposed to have money so how can the buy the s**y movies?

They do have the inconvenience of queuing at the ATMs same as regular punters - surely the smart ones have online banking via their latest model phones....

Most Thais smile indulgently and keep paying to rent the garlands at temples. Temples are a cornerstone of the feudal economy. So there must be an economic reason to call for restrictions on alcohol - is it because people spend more at the temple on holy days if they cannot spend it on alcohol??

If I choose to not drink but one day every 10 years what right do you have to decide that I cannot drink just that day out of some symbolic meaning to YOU?

And the roads would be safer if the police was interesting in...policing.

If you dont like the laws of the land then there is always your homne country to go back to

This has yet to be a law in Thailand and has a very very very small chance of ever becoming one. That is the reason for the debate.

enough alcohol bans already. Its getting silly. Let the ones who celebrate religion do it. Let those who do not be left alone.

But in many areas Buddhists make up some 90% of the population, and the other 10% are muslims.

Already we have alcohol on sale only 10 hours a day from shops and that law is enforced as effectively as Thailand's outlawing of prostitution :)

Banning the sale of alcohol on 4 more days will just put a little more tea money into the police's pocket, sell some more booze from corner shops and a little less from 7-11's and Tesco Lotus superstores.

With all laws in Thailand, the problem lies with lack of enforcement.

All the monks ask for is to stay sober during religious holidays.

That's neither here nor there. They shouldn't even consider requesting stuff like this in order to harmonise their own agenda.

They don't have their own agenda. They work within the society and they have full rights to give feedback or suggestions. Upholding Buddhism is a duty of everyone, not just monks. It's not like Thais made a deal with them - we do whatever we want and it's your job to keep the country Buddhist regardless, so don't bother us with anything.

You missed the point. It makes a mockery of their doctrine that they desire to prevent people from doing something, even for a short time. Lets face it, save a few stoic individuals, the great swathe of this great nation have nada Buddhist qualities... just look around at the rampant desire for everything and anything. Waiing an image and an occasional merit-making venture does not a Buddhist make.

It makes a mockery of their doctrine that they desire to prevent people from doing something

I'm not sure this is relevant - if you want to argue the doctrine, take it to the Buddhism forum.

For the purposes of the News Clippings I assume the call for alcohol ban doesn't undermine their doctrine. I'm talking about their right to bring it onto the general public outside the temples.