Cat Evdo

Gary A

I have been crying and complaining about my EVDO Internet connection for several weeks. I got no satisfaction from the Loei CAT office. They gave me a shrug of the shoulders and told me that sometimes good and sometimes bad.

During a call today to the main office I was told that the tower I use has problems and will be repaired by June 20th. Any discount for poor and no service? Are you joking?

I'll post after the promised repair date. Any bets? TIT!

1000 Baht on BS

Just testing the interruption issue once again... not holding my breath....

Ok it's still there. That makes it unusable for professional use, e.g. VPN, Skype, etc. It will interrupt all connections about once every 10 minutes.

Considering that they haven't fixed this issue in 3 months, and that it probably only affects a tiny minority of hard core users, I don't think they ever will fix it. If it's getting fixed it will be because of a side effect of equipment update. I would press more on this issue, I know I can at least talk to the guys in the Chiang Mai headquarters - but I have now found a much better and less time-intensive solution which is a TOT DSL line that works fairly well. CAT CDMA is now my backup solution only.

Edited by nikster

Yes, this is kinda sad, as I don't have access to any cable and this CAT CDMA worked so well for nearly two years. :) Torrents seem to keep the connection stable and will keep going even after websites and other downloading freeze up.

Hi

Very happy with CAT CDMA here in Phuket, i had a problem with my old usb modem, they even came home to me and sorted it out

Maybe because there is so many expat here??

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1427 kbps (178.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 302 kbps (37.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

20:25 not to bad

This is to San Fran

Edited by HDRIDER

Hi

Very happy with CAT CDMA here in Phuket, i had a problem with my old usb modem, they even came home to me and sorted it out

Last Result:

This is to San Fran

Hi, sorry just posted asking for other CAT CDMA users to post their thoughts, I wonder if this problem I am having is a '' local'' thing ?

TL :)

Hi

Last Result:

This is to San Fran

It's good you are happy with the connection but I am willing to bet money that you have the same problem as all of us.

Here is how you test it: Turn off your download manager, and download a file > 100MB. If you can finish the download in one go, in the web browser, then you don't have the problem.

Depending on use, you might never notice this issue, really. Which is great for you but doesn't really help all of us who need things like VPN and Skype to work :)

I am Patong based and suffering the problem. I think its not the local connection but something in the tower or the towers uplinks. I see huge problems with oversubscription in the evenings as well.

I was hoping not to hear the words .... oversubscription :)

Guys

Just tried to download a large file, stopped after 25min and 60GB so maybe i have a problem but never seen it??

will try again later

60GB in 25 minutes - I want that :)

I am guessing you mean 60MB. That's pretty good, but yes, you are seeing the same problem that everyone on the CAT network sees.

Like I said, depending on your internet usage, you may never notice it. For me it's a dealbreaker though.

I am Patong based and suffering the problem. I think its not the local connection but something in the tower or the towers uplinks. I see huge problems with oversubscription in the evenings as well.

It's Thailand-wide.

Oversubscription is a good theory, might very well that CAT CDMA now has so many subscribers that something is going seriously wrong somewhere in their network.

It's still a bug - if the network works normally, then too many users should slow things down for everyone. Instead, what I see is a connection at full speed until it gets interrupted and dies completely. But the bug could have been triggered by too many subscribers or too much traffic, who knows. Kinda futile to guess what's wrong - networks are complicated beasts, and there are too many things that can go wrong.

I am pretty sure that it's not about the local network also because I have tried it at very odd hours and in different locations and the problem was always the same. I don't think too many people are using CAT CDMA at 5 am.

Hmmm.. the server farms I am often working on, a complete disconnect happens when a server goes down and another one from the pool takes over... hmmmm....

Edited by nikster

Guys

Just tried to download a large file, stopped after 25min and 60GB so maybe i have a problem but never seen it??

will try again later

60GB in 25 minutes - I want that :D

I am guessing you mean 60MB. That's pretty good, but yes, you are seeing the same problem that everyone on the CAT network sees.

Like I said, depending on your internet usage, you may never notice it. For me it's a dealbreaker though.

Hi

Yes your right 60MB, sorry, i dont download that much, so i have not seen it before, just seen my speed is OK most of the time, but i do use the net all the time.

BTW i like the iPhone 3g :)

Edited by HDRIDER