Philippines Tourism Doing Well

T_Dog

This article is from an organization that promotes Philippines properties, but it does cite national statistics. Makes one wonder how many travelers changed their plans based on Thailand's political challenges.

http://www.propertyarticles.com/overseas/20090429377.html

I did during my last trip to Asia, 18May-3Jun canceled Thailand to go to the Philipphines and won't make that mistake again. More expensieve except for the beer and sure isn't as safe or clean. I liked the people but overpriced hotels and bad food kills the fun.

This article is from an organization that promotes Philippines properties, but it does cite national statistics. Makes one wonder how many travelers changed their plans based on Thailand's political challenges.

I did during my last trip to Asia, 18May-3Jun canceled Thailand to go to the Philipphines and won't make that mistake again. More expensieve except for the beer and sure isn't as safe or clean. I liked the people but overpriced hotels and bad food kills the fun.

I agree. the Phils have a plethora of lovely unspoilt nature places waiting to be explored, but the food s*cks big time (unless u r fond of American junkfood-chains) and crime galore. the only 7/11-shop in the Phils I saw that did NOT have an armed guard was in Dumaguete, which is promoted as the "safest place in the Phils" (at least if you want to believe the big billboard at the local airport there).

but even there I know someone (a long-time Expat) who had to leave the town cause he feared for his safety after he helped the police to arrest the best hitman of the local Mafia after a robbing-attempt.

Manila itself is near to an apocalypse, but thanks god, thousands of lovely islands are just an hour by plane away.....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. the Phils have a plethora of lovely unspoilt nature places waiting to be explored, but the food s*cks big time (unless u r fond of American junkfood-chains) and crime galore. the only 7/11-shop in the Phils I saw that did NOT have an armed guard was in Dumaguete, which is promoted as the "safest place in the Phils" (at least if you want to believe the big billboard at the local airport there).

but even there I know someone (a long-time Expat) who had to leave the town cause he feared for his safety after he helped the police to arrest the best hitman of the local Mafia after a robbing-attempt.

Manila itself is near to an apocalypse, but thanks god, thousands of lovely islands are just an hour by plane away.....

I have heard a couple of Tourists who have been satisfied with the Philippines. The point is they like that country and there's no point of getting here in tv( the name itself THAIvisa) to speak about that though there were some who have the experiences staying and visiting the country in some other threads. That country is cheap but it has no place for backpackers or those travelling with a limited budget. However, it is assured that you can get what you pay for. I have traveled in some parts of the Phil from Manila to Davao. Stayed in good hotels and had wonderful experiences and definitely mouth watering food. Love also the variety of cuisine avalable everywhere. I should add visiting family homes during festivals and birthdays!

You can google Filipino food or recipes, youtube is fine too to have at least the idea how the other food look like. No, not the taste. :)

Filipinos aren't generally fond of STREET FOOD, it is considered "dirty". I can understand, think of the dust and gases released fom Jeepneys, cars etc, I doubt if one would really have the appetite of eating those kinds of food. That amazed me in Thailand btw, food aren't covered and generally they use their hands (thanks to swine flu at least there's an improvement) but people here eat them, park their cars, eat or buy some then go back and leave.

To add, Thai food is available anywhere, most people here are working and people don't have the time to cook aside from the "cooking not allowed" in some apartments, mostly common in cheaper apartments. Filipinos generally cook at home and food takes hours to cook! Maybe that's the reason of them not really being available anywhere!

I don't eat street foods in both countries, it's too risky to save for health. I'm frugal but no, not in terms of health. I doubt Fasfood's quality either! I'm sure one can eat in decent restaurants if one has the info in the Philippines.

Tourism in the Philippines speak also of Filipinos traveling from one islands to another. The country is an archipelago which makes it not really accessible to other islands and that makes it really expensive! The island hopping is worth it definitely but as I said, if one has the budget. (I should mention the great fresh Tunas in General Santos City are incomparable!)Think about the airticket unless one takes Cebu Pacific then maybe one can save talking about transportation cost at least. Some fast ferries are available in the Visayas area..

I rarely heard the country of covering up facts. Media is so powerful there that sometimes makes me think of them just being "too much". Furthermore, perhaps of religion ,at least despite the obvious poverty, I can trust them better I should say especially honesty is concerned. And talking about poverty, it's a little ironic that many of the FILs eat in the fast food chains and there are more people in the shopping malls! I think more enjoy the luxurios life despite being a less progressive country.

Finally, the Philippines reported about the progress in the Tourism aspect but as far as I know, it's not the county's source of income. The country earns billions due to it's people working abroad.

Thailand's main business is Tourism. That is why it is absolutely smoother to get around Thailand and landscapes are really lovely( I just love them!). Of course, that's a commonsense of pleasing the market. Aside from it's demography, it's cheaper to go from one place to another and a lot safer to take the bus! Everything is available anywhere and due to that competition, prices are really very competitive. Again, if one researches ahead his trip, one can save a lot more without really sacrificing quality. I think, I don't need to mention the employment opportunity here inThailand.

Thailand is the Tourist capital in South East Asia, (I hope I won't need to use "used to" soon). The country also offers a variety of options to anyone here and definitely has more farang residents. Despite the possible profits, the Phils I think welcomes short time visitors more and so other ASEAN countries. If you want a smooth travel and have the budget, I suggest you take the package tours. It's best to go that way to the PHil as far as safety is concerned as well.If you can't, I should say it's not worth it and you end up wining about your expenses.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Phils...its people, nature, atmosphere... I hope more tourists visit that country. It is a bit pricier than Thailand (accommodation, food) and Thailand is better in fruits, but the joyous people make it all worth while.

Island hopping, 7,107 islands...travelling can be more expensive, but I saw many backpackers.

And about the food: cheap food as streetfood and foodcourt- food is in Thailand better. But in restaurants or other places where you can order 1 dish for about 300 PhP, it is really nice. I had raw fish with onion, ginger and lemonsauce for 250 PHP (around 5 USD), soooo good...YUM!

Streetfood is either BBQ'd or covered! No flies in the food (I saw that many times in Thailand)

Both countries have their charm, but I fell in love with the people in the Phils. They made me happy.