Bored To Death In Kk

sunsamourai

Been in KK for a little over 3 months now.

As much as I appreciate cleaner air, living in a house, seing living things in the garden, and growing stuff in the garden, I am getting bored off my head.

Since I don't know anybody here, I don't know the good places either.

Where to go to meet people and have a nice/fun time ?

What to do in KK and surrounding area (I know already Pattaya 2, which I love ^^)

Pls, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ! :)

As much as I appreciate cleaner air, living in a house, seing living things in the garden, and growing stuff in the garden, I am getting bored off my head.

What to do in KK and surrounding area (I know already Pattaya 2, which I love ^^)

May I suggest that you visit and join www.khonkaen.com .... Good board with lots of nice people to get to know...

Pianoman

Hi sunsamouri

Early on, most of us have 'gone through' what you describe and I am sorry to say it takes quite a while to find a few GOOD mates (Thai or Ferang). Its easy to find drunkards/misfits & chancers :D .

Although my Thai is minimal (been here 2 1/2 yrs), I started to make friends by 'helping out' teachers for free,with weekend english camps. The Thais use you as a 'sounding board' to practice talking and you meet other ferangs working here. I have never wanted to be a teacher snd have no qualifications but on hindsight it was a stepping stone to meeting some good guys (and very nice Thai teachers).

Sure its good to have a chat in a ferang bar/restaurant, I enjoy it, but you still don't need to be everyones best friend (especially with ones who want a loan or a drink)! :)

Good Luck

Dave

2 Good advices, keep it coming ! ^^

@pianoman : checking it right now

@dave : I thought about something like that, but I'm not regularly here, as I have to go to BKK or Laos once in a while. But I might move one step further and actually inquire about it ^^

++ :)

@dave : I thought about something like that, but I'm not regularly here, as I have to go to BKK or Laos once in a while. But I might move one step further and actually inquire about it ^^

If my experience is anything to go by (in Surin), you will be welcomed with 'open arms' to help schools teach english plus its virtualy compulsory to accept a 'gift' for working. I was getting more money per day than Thai teachers with 30yrs experience ( not bad for a plumber :D ). Mind you its about what I used to earn per hour in London

Dave

i understand how youu feel friend.i have been in thailand since the end of may and i am pretty bored already just staying around the house.this is my 5th trip to thailand.the first time was at ubon in the air force back in 1967.i married a thai lady ,but that marriage hit the rocks.so i am trying again.any chace you like fishing.i know the big lake is closed to fishing now.any chance you know of any other places to fish if you do like fishing.hope to talk to you soon.bill

If you're that bored you can always come and stay over here in Roi-Et and help me with the garden.

If my experience is anything to go by (in Surin), you will be welcomed with 'open arms' to help schools teach english plus its virtualy compulsory to accept a 'gift' for working. I was getting more money per day than Thai teachers with 30yrs experience ( not bad for a plumber :D ). Mind you its about what I used to earn per hour in London

Dave

I hope you taught them some cockney rhyming slang dave ! :D

I can relate to what the OP is going through. I tried living in Korat for 8 months and found it boring most days of the week. Towards the end I started making more and more trips to Bangkok till I finally moved to Bangkok for good. I have never looked back.

Edited by ballbreaker

Hello sunsamouri

Listen to Dave the Dude mate, excellent advice. :)

I have lived in the sticks for 7 years, after four years living in Pattaya, and need to go away once in a while.

Do you have the internet, TV etc. It helps.

It sounds as though you live near me. ( Pattaya2)

Lots of bars, farang, thai in Khon Kaen. But do you want the typical (bull) as Dave suggested?

Keep in touch mate :D

Key

Hi all, tnx very much for your support and comments.

@buffaloe : not been fishing for quite a few years, but that sounds like spending a nice day in the green, near the water. Don't know of a good spot though...

@MJP : just bought myself very nice pruning shears, and might take your invitation litterally. I was gardening back home, and there is so much i want to learn about plants here ! How big is your garden ? like a farm ? I won't go up to there for a small thing :) I can also take care of your trees if needed :D

@key : have satellite at wife's parent's, and internet in the cybershops 5 min from home. I'm used to living with Thais, and having a simple life, but my wife doesn't have that many friends because she's not the 'going out' type. So sometimes I need to grab a beer and let it flow more naturally. Having a BBQ once in a while sounds great too ! ^^

@Dave : it's fun reading you here, but listening to you must have been dreadfull to your students ! :D

I checked on that www.khonkaen.com website, found a farang bar address, and went for a few beers last friday. Went home late :D.

I must say I feel better now, but keep comments coming ! :D

@Dave : it's fun reading you here, but listening to you must have been dreadfull to your students ! :)

Hi SS

These English camps are all educational fun and games so I used to get on well with the kids. I used to be one, you see !

They were good while they lasted, but I have decided not to persue a career in teaching, it just is not my thing. Once you 'get in' with a few Thai

teachers, your mobile will never stop getting further calls to teach(mine didn't).

Luckily, after a few years here now, I have a good circle of friends (All nationalities) and know the good places to go. You will be the same

in time, i'm sure. In the meantime there are many ferangs on here to upset talk to.

Dave

@buffaloe : not been fishing for quite a few years, but that sounds like spending a nice day in the green, near the water. Don't know of a good spot though...

@MJP : just bought myself very nice pruning shears, and might take your invitation litterally. I was gardening back home, and there is so much i want to learn about plants here ! How big is your garden ? like a farm ? I won't go up to there for a small thing :) I can also take care of your trees if needed :D

@key : have satellite at wife's parent's, and internet in the cybershops 5 min from home. I'm used to living with Thais, and having a simple life, but my wife doesn't have that many friends because she's not the 'going out' type. So sometimes I need to grab a beer and let it flow more naturally. Having a BBQ once in a while sounds great too ! ^^

@Dave : it's fun reading you here, but listening to you must have been dreadfull to your students ! :D

I checked on that www.khonkaen.com website, found a farang bar address, and went for a few beers last friday. Went home late :D .

The gardens not huge about 300 sq.m, but I'm sure sister would find much for you to do on the farm!

Always welcome, just PM.

• 4 weeks later...
I can relate to what the OP is going through. I tried living in Korat for 8 months and found it boring most days of the week. Towards the end I started making more and more trips to Bangkok till I finally moved to Bangkok for good. I have never looked back.

I don't know if I could really related so much to the OP and others......in my 20+ years of residency, I don't believe I've come across this affliction in myself. Principally, because I've never found myself isolated, in the sense that I needed to socialize with the Farang community. If this were the case - I'd rather be lonely. Bored? Bored from what. Not having the constant Farang stimulation? That's not boredom, but lonliness apart from your own kind.

To each there own I guess.

I think it's important to enjoy your own company and be happy with yourself.

Obviously, we are social beings and enjoy each others company. I myself would be happy to meet Farangs living locally on occasion for intellectual stimulation and because of the language but enjoy the company of the local young students, kids, farmers etc. as well.

I wouldn't move to Isaan if I wasn't happy to spend loads of time with my wife, my books, my hammock, my lifestyle.

@Zzaa & PaddyThai : got that right. I enjoy being on my own, it's just that too much is just too much. I'm fine with locals, but just not enough occasions to meet, and language still a limitation. Getting better, but still a long way to go. The thing is just that for such a big city, there really isn't a thing to do in KK.

@Dave : a bit busy, and going to Europe for some time, but will probably give it a try when coming back

@MJP : a bit busy, and going to Europe for some time, but I keep it in mind to give it a try when coming back :)

Cheers all :D

Edited by sunsamourai