Iphone Os 3 Update Question

tominbkk

I ran into a rather irritating problem with my iphone 3G in that it want picking up a wifi signal.

I looked around the internet for various solutions such as restoring the phone and resetting network connections - tried them, they didnt work. I thought it might be the OS so I upgraded to 3.0 on when it came out last Friday (cant find how to add a pic under messages) - still no luck. Then a geeky friend of mine said that it was probably the wifi chip 'overheating'.

Willing to try anything I stuck the phone in a plastic bag and put it in the deep freeze and a low and behold when I took it out 20 minutes later it could receive all my wifi. Only for about 10 minutes of course.

So I rang the shop I bought it from - Winner Telecom - and got the usual idiot on the phone - I explained the situation clearly and he said 'We dont stock ipod only iphone.' Eventually I got through to Bob 'we have to replace the wifi chip' he said ' but we can do that within a day.'

I have a True iPhone and upgraded to 3.0 today. I use AIS sim as the True GPRS connection was so slow it was unusable (although the times on 3G were pretty good).

The SMS icon has now changed to say Messages but the functionality seems just the same.

The only obvious difference I can see is the addition of Voice Memos and some (daft) search iphone.

FYI: Found this link detailing updates to the OS

Uh copy and paste, forward your sms, delete single lines in your sms conversations, search everything, internet tethering, mms, landscape keyboard. This is the biggest upgrade the Iphone has ever seen. Pay attention guy.

FYI 2g Iphone does not have tethering and mms with the 3.0 upgrade. Sucks for me.

My problem: with the upgrade it wiped my internet settings (Im AIS). I know its just a simple word in the network settings I need to put in but I have forgotten it, can anyone tell me?

Edited by TheLaughingMan

I have a True iPhone and upgraded to 3.0 today. I use AIS sim as the True GPRS connection was so slow it was unusable (although the times on 3G were pretty good).

The SMS icon has now changed to say Messages but the functionality seems just the same.

The only obvious difference I can see is the addition of Voice Memos and some (daft) search iphone.

FYI: Found this link detailing updates to the OS

Uh copy and paste, forward your sms, delete single lines in your sms conversations, search everything, internet tethering, mms, landscape keyboard. This is the biggest upgrade the Iphone has ever seen. Pay attention guy.

FYI 2g Iphone does not have tethering and mms with the 3.0 upgrade. Sucks for me.

My problem: with the upgrade it wiped my internet settings (Im AIS). I know its just a simple word in the network settings I need to put in but I have forgotten it, can anyone tell me?

APN - internet, leave both username and password blank

By the way, although you won't get Visual Voicemail, if you would like to have your Voicemail button activated to call voicemail, for AIS users, just do the following:

*5005*86*90099# and then touch call. After that, just touch the Voicemail button to connect to voicemail.

Great tip - thanks!

Spoke to AIS and the rep. said that, as it's new on the iPhone 3G they don't have the settings yet. Ah well.

The settings are all over the internet - apparently AIS are the last to know :) then again, they are probably bitter because they left the iPhone 3G to true.

I don't have 3.0 yet but this is the way to get tethering to work - use your iPhone, and point it here:

http://help.benm.at/th.php

Then, click on AIS or DTAC. Then, tethering works. :D

Hi Nikster

That looked too simple... I just tried, Safari says it cannot download that file :) ...

How did you do it ?

Phil

OOps, just realised it needed v 3.0, sorry...

Edited by pilou

I don't have 3.0 yet but this is the way to get tethering to work - use your iPhone, and point it here:

http://help.benm.at/th.php

Then, click on AIS or DTAC. Then, tethering works. :D

Hi Nikster

That looked too simple... I just tried, Safari says it cannot download that file :) ...

How did you do it ?

Phil

OOps, just realised it needed v 3.0, sorry...

I just saw that tethering only works on the 3G and 3GS iphones, not on the 2G (original) iPhone.

Upgrading to 3.0 has suddenly become much less exciting... :D

BTW the jailbreak is now available via 'redsnow' rather than 'quickpwn'. It is just as easy and works fine. Only problem is many Cydia Apps dont seem to work yet with 3.0. This includes 'Aptbackup' which is particularly irritating. Also I cant get 'Bossprefs' to work either.

This could just be me and my iphone as I am SSHing my cydia Apps to the iphone as I have no wifi connection due to the overheating wifi chip.

BTW the jailbreak is now available via 'redsnow' rather than 'quickpwn'. It is just as easy and works fine. Only problem is many Cydia Apps dont seem to work yet with 3.0. This includes 'Aptbackup' which is particularly irritating. Also I cant get 'Bossprefs' to work either.

This could just be me and my iphone as I am SSHing my cydia Apps to the iphone as I have no wifi connection due to the overheating wifi chip.

Why don't you just use Cydia over your EDGE connection?

I think you need to download Cydia, and at least for iBlacklist this is the only way to get 3.0 - on the website it's still on 2.99.... it does lots of updates too.

• 3 weeks later...
I was able to get tethering to work, and it's actually quite fast. See this link:

You will enter your carrier info and your email and receive a settings file. Retrieve the email from your iPhone and open the settings file and install it.

Also, I've found the correct settings for MMS on AIS and sending and receiving MMS now works. Under Settings>Network>Cellular Data Network, here is what you need:

Cellular Data:

APN: internet (all other fields blank)

Visual Voicemail:

APN: internet (all other fields blank)

MMS:

APN: multimedia

MMS Proxy: 203.170.229.34:8080

(all other fields blank)

Note: I ran the tethering file received from iphone-notes.de first, before entering and verifying the above settings.

I can now tether via USB or Bluetooth and can send and receive MMS.

Hi Bubba

Thanks for putting up this information

Internet Tethering: working - great! :)

MMS: I have all the settings and rebooted the phone - working now - great!!! :D

Visual Voicemail: Do you have this working on AIS with the iPhone? I cannot seem to get it going but see your entry (and I have it too) - can you please advise if you got it going, how you did?

Thanks

Sojan

Hi all

I just received my 3G with v 3.0, I have been able to activate internet tethering but no luck with mms.

I have input the parameters described above, and rebooted, but still cannot see mms feature. Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Phil

To add mms and tether is very simple all that you need to do is create a custom IPCC for which ever network you want unlock iTunes, add the custom file and sync.

I have created some IPCC for AIS,TRUE and DTAC and will upload them and the full instructions if you guys are still having problems

:):D:D