Gym's On The Dark Side

hbert

Does anybody of you know if there are any good gym's on "the dark side" preferably with a lot of treadmills.

The one I use now only have two treadmills and I have been told that I have to limit my exercise to 30 minutes at a time.

I have gone through a coronary bypass operation recently and my doctors advised me that an 1 hour daily walk would be good for me.

So if you have any advise regarding gyms around Khao Talo area where there are no restrictions in regards to treadmill usage I would be very happy.

Edited by hbert

There is that gym at the top of Kao Noi (past Siam Royal View) but not sure of the number of treadmills. Most of the gyms over here are small affairs with not allot of aerobic equipment. As your health is important, I would not limit my search to the Farside, and check out Tonys (closest being the one opposite Xzite). Cheap and heaps of aerobic machines...bikes, steppers, treadmills, and rowing machines. Never any waits to get on and no limits on use.

Probably the wrong side for you, but there is a new farang owned gym just opened on the lake next to Mulligans.

I have not been inside. It's in the building of the old Gibb Minimart, formerly a short time bar (Venus was it?)

Anyone tried it?

(The gym, that is :) )

Does anybody of you know if there are any good gym's on "the dark side" preferably with a lot of treadmills.

The one I use now only have two treadmills and I have been told that I have to limit my exercise to 30 minutes at a time.

I have gone through a coronary bypass operation recently and my doctors advised me that an 1 hour daily walk would be good for me.

So if you have any advise regarding gyms around Khao Talo area where there are no restrictions in regards to treadmill usage I would be very happy.

It's always difficult in gym's with very few treadmills / cardio equipment -

General gym courtesy (at peak times - usually mornings and evenings), is to restrict equipment usage to 30 minutes ... this helps to ensure that other (paying) members have use of the facilities.

If this gym is the most convenient for you - and you really need the one hour space - I would suggest that you go either late morning / lunch time / mid-afternoon.

If this doesn't work for you - you could check out some of the other gym's or try an early morning walk outside on the road - but carry a bamboo cane or short stick to keep any angry dogs at bay

Honestly, the gym doesn't sound so good if it's only got two treadmills so I hope it's not too expensive - perhaps a word with the owner :)

MeetJohnDoe do you know if it is very crowded mornings around 8:00 to 9:00..?

Sorry Hbert, I can't help you there as I do my workouts later from 10 till around noon. However, my guess would be it's not crowded (has never been any time I have been there) and they have around 25 machines of various types so I don't think it would ever be a problem.

If it's a concern, just pop over there a couple times in the morning to see what its like.

Yes, Casa Praetoria is the one I have used.

Of course I can go 2 X 30 but that would take away a lot of the convenience.

Well I have to either change my training schedule or change gym.

I quite liked the Casa Pretoria due to its location but I have not decided yet what to do.

Edited by hbert

Hi hbert,

I had a heart procedure (Angioplasty) last June and started jogging/walking at a park next to the Nongprue Office, which is next to the Wat Suthawaad School. I start my workout around 6am as it is cooler and would enjoy the company if you would like to join me.

Greg

Hello All,

The issue of Treadmills has started to become an issue lately as more people join up. We do intend on obtaining more running machines as soon as possible however please be aware that buying more equipment is not cheap, we do not intend on increasing our prices and have save up the funds before we can make a purchase of the large commercial grade Treadmills (which cost well over THB 100,000).

The reason that we've not done it sooner is because we have do to business with proportion to the ratio of members. More members = More funds = More equipment. At 99 Baht per visit this can take a while.

What I may suggest to any of our members as a temporary solution is that they can go to the gym at off peak times (if possible). At the moment our busiest times are from 09:00 to 12:30. Generally the gym is more quite from 12:30 to 18:00, and busy again until closing time (21:00).

Everyone is welcome to spend as much time as they like on any of the equipment however we would ask for a bit of common curtsy between members.

I will let you know as soon as we get more Treadmills in. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to PM/Email me.

Thanks,

Richie

Castra Gym

The new gym next to Mulligans turns out to be for taikwondo.

HBert, I dare say you've thought of this, but have you considered buying a treadmill and working out at home?

I did that for years, both in the UK, then in Bangkok, and up until recently in Pattaya.

I much prefer it to going to gyms, and can choose my own time, and even used to set up a TV to watch as I was working out as I found it all pretty boring.

Then when it's over I can dive in the pool to cool down.

They aren't really that expensive, and if you're pushed for space, many of them fold up into a really manageable size.

I know some people prefer gyms, but jut a thought. :)

Hi Mobi,

I have thought about buying one own and I do have the space but I like to do some other exercises as well like weight lifting etc. and a whole home gym would be quite expensive.

It is also quite nice to come out and see some other faces...