Withdrawing Money From Bank Counter With Passport

does anyone know when you withdraw cash from inside a bank not an atm how the thai bank will charge,if i want 50000 baht from an atm its going to charge 1500 which is a scandal so i want to get it inside if its any better,i have been able to get 250000 baht in one transaction before but this is before the thai banks started charging,also i have a bank card from the nationwide with cirrus logo i can withdraw from atms has anyone ever used cirrus inside the bank with your passport to withdraw cash. thanks in advance

This is not on subject, but yesteday using my Kasikorn (Thai) savings account over the internet, I was able to transfer 40,500 Baht to my stockbroker for a charge of 35 Baht. Just 50 minutes later my online stockbroker account showed the funds were received. very efficient!.

It might be an idea to transfer foreign funds direct to a Thai stockbrocker account, because you can withdraw any amount you have in credit from your stockbrocker, transfered to a Thai bank account, in my case my savings account, at no charge with a few hours notice. I don't need to try that, but it's a thought. Also the stockbrokers pays intrest on funds held.

does anyone know when you withdraw cash from inside a bank not an atm how the thai bank will charge,if i want 50000 baht from an atm its going to charge 1500 which is a scandal so i want to get it inside if its any better,i have been able to get 250000 baht in one transaction before but this is before the thai banks started charging,also i have a bank card from the nationwide with cirrus logo i can withdraw from atms has anyone ever used cirrus inside the bank with your passport to withdraw cash. thanks in advance

Last Tuesday I withdrew Baht 40,000 from the Siam Bank with my Nationwide Card. No charge and the rate was the same as if I had used an ATM. Hope this helps. :)

No charge and the rate was the same as if I had used an ATM.

Which Nationwide card did you use -- the Visa Debit card, Cirrus Cash Card, or their credit card?

Also, how many GBPs did you pay to receive that 40,000 baht?

Thanx.

Which Nationwide card did you use -- the Visa Debit card, Cirrus Cash Card, or their credit card?

Thanx.

Jim - also relevant is what charge is showing in GBP from the Nationwide end i.e. 0.84% on Visa debit, zero on Cirrus Cash Card (can these be used over the counter ?) or Credit Card 2.5% + interest @ 27.9%.

I am back in Thailand next week, I may try simultaneous over the counter withdrawals, at Kasikorn, with VISA debit card and CIRRUS Cash Card (all without the aid of a safety net :))

Edited by Chaimai

Chaimai,

That's why I wanted to know which Nationwide card was used -- so I could build-in the appropriate fee to see what exchange rate he received. Pretty much can figure out what he could get at an ATM machine, so if the two match up -- or don't -- will be interesting.

Probably wasn't a cash card, as I doubt he would have gotten 40,000bt. But, who knows....maybe so. Also, the cash card advertises "counter restrictions." Not sure if that means total restriction against counter operations -- or just some(?).

Thanx.

Jim - also relevant is what charge is showing in GBP from the Nationwide end i.e. 0.84% on Visa debit, zero on Cirrus Cash Card (can these be used over the counter ?) or Credit Card 2.5% + interest @ 27.9%.

I am back in Thailand next week, I may try simultaneous over the counter withdrawals, at Kasikorn, with VISA debit card and CIRRUS Cash Card (all without the aid of a safety net :) )

I know for a fact you can use your visa debit card over the counter in thailand because ive done it before,250000 in one tranaction was the limit,it would be handy if can use the cirrus because nationwide dont charge and what ive read on here nor does the thai bank.

Last Tuesday I withdrew Baht 40,000 from the Siam Bank with my Nationwide Card. No charge and the rate was the same as if I had used an ATM. Hope this helps. :)

thats good to know no charge fron the thai bank 0.84% from nationwide though if you used visa,did you use visa or cirrus? regards paul9478

i have a nationwide flex debit card and have in the past used it in the bank with passport and got the same exchange rate as with the A T M, .i have e mailed nationwide to ask if they charge (visa charge) the .85% over the counter ,unfortunatly e mailing nationwide is hit and miss ,again they didnt bother to answer or as in my last request didnt answer the question but just waffled.

i will try again .

i have a nationwide flex debit card and have in the past used it in the bank with passport and got the same exchange rate as with the A T M, .i have e mailed nationwide to ask if they charge (visa charge) the .85% over the counter ,unfortunatly e mailing nationwide is hit and miss ,again they didnt bother to answer or as in my last request didnt answer the question but just waffled.

i will try again .

Typical Nationwide when they don't know or like a question they don't answer,doesn't suprise me at all.

i have a nationwide flex debit card and have in the past used it in the bank with passport and got the same exchange rate as with the A T M

How do you know that? Did you do an ATM transaction at about the same time?

Sorry to sound impertinent, but we've been trying to establish -- on another thread -- just whether or not counter operations are the same as ATM withdrawals at some banks. We've already established that Siam Commercial Bank adds about 3.5% to their counter operations when compared to the rate you'd get with an ATM transaction (excluding the 150bt fixed fee).

So, it would be helpful to mention the bank you're using for these counter transactions, and the rate you got. A quick comparison to that day's TT rate would show just how competitive counter operations are -- at that particular bank, and with that particular card.

For the last couple of months I have regularly been withdrawing 50,000 baht at a Bangkok Bank exchange kiosk with my passport and my Nationwide Flex account Visa debit card.

When the transaction eventually appears on my Nationwide account 2-3 days later, typically I will have got about 1 baht better per pound than the rate that was advertised at the kiosk on the day. No charge is listed on my Nationwide account. The kiosk doesn't charge me anything.

I would say that rate pretty much equates to the rate I used to get when I used the same Nationwide card in an ATM. In other words, about 1 baht better than the rate publicised at exchange kiosks and on the Thai banks' exchange rates webpages.

For the last couple of months I have regularly been withdrawing 50,000 baht at a Bangkok Bank exchange kiosk with my passport and my Nationwide Flex account Visa debit card.

When the transaction eventually appears on my Nationwide account 2-3 days later, typically I will have got about 1 baht better per pound than the rate that was advertised at the kiosk on the day. No charge is listed on my Nationwide account. The kiosk doesn't charge me anything.

I would say that rate pretty much equates to the rate I used to get when I used the same Nationwide card in an ATM. In other words, about 1 baht better than the rate publicised at exchange kiosks and on the Thai banks' exchange rates webpages.

I know you get quite a good rate using the nationwide visa debit card but how much did bangkok bank charge you for taking that 50000 baht out?

i have a nationwide flex debit card and have in the past used it in the bank with passport and got the same exchange rate as with the A T M

How do you know that? Did you do an ATM transaction at about the same time?

Sorry to sound impertinent, but we've been trying to establish -- on another thread -- just whether or not counter operations are the same as ATM withdrawals at some banks. We've already established that Siam Commercial Bank adds about 3.5% to their counter operations when compared to the rate you'd get with an ATM transaction (excluding the 150bt fixed fee).

So, it would be helpful to mention the bank you're using for these counter transactions, and the rate you got. A quick comparison to that day's TT rate would show just how competitive counter operations are -- at that particular bank, and with that particular card.

i had used the atm that day ,i actually got a better rate from the bank ,BKK and was not charged by them.

i have also just had a reply from nationwide and if you use your flex debit visa card over the counter with passport you do get charged the .85% cant get out of it.

Since the Thai ATM charges and the Nationwide's own Foreign Exchange charges, I have opened a Halifax current account. Swift transfers can be arranged on line, cost 9.95 GBP and funds are in my Thai bank the same day.

I know you get quite a good rate using the nationwide visa debit card but how much did bangkok bank charge you for taking that 50000 baht out?

As I said in my post, the Bangkok Bank exchange kiosk don't charge me anything. They just hand me my 50,000b, together with my passport and debit card.

Now, whether some charge is levied by them to Nationwide in the background which Nationwide then passes on and conceals from me, just including it in the exchange rate I get from them, I don't know. All I can say is that I end up paying at an exchange rate that gives me about 1 baht more per pound than was advertised at the kiosk - and apparently no fee from anyone - and I feel pretty satisfied with that.

i had used the atm that day ,i actually got a better rate from the bank ,BKK and was not charged by them.

Thanx for that. Is "BKK" Bangkok Bank? If not, what bank were you dealing with?

yes bangkok bank ,in naklua. Pattaya

Chaimai,

That's why I wanted to know which Nationwide card was used -- so I could build-in the appropriate fee to see what exchange rate he received. Pretty much can figure out what he could get at an ATM machine, so if the two match up -- or don't -- will be interesting.

Probably wasn't a cash card, as I doubt he would have gotten 40,000bt. But, who knows....maybe so. Also, the cash card advertises "counter restrictions." Not sure if that means total restriction against counter operations -- or just some(?).

Dear Jim,

I used the Nationwide Flex Account Debit Card. No charge by Siam Bank or Nationwide. I did the same again last Friday for Baht 50,000. Again no charge by anybody. Very good!!!

i'm interested to do the same but just a question, as the english is often poor here, how do you ask to do a counter withdrawal when people will think showing you the atm is the best idea?

do you have to have your passport or do they accept a copy of it?

A number of people say they were not charged any fees. Is it because they did not see a separate fee charge or they determined that their exchange rate was within the range for that point in time. There may be hidden % charges taken of the top from either the Thai or the foreign bank.

A number of people say they were not charged any fees. Is it because they did not see a separate fee charge or they determined that their exchange rate was within the range for that point in time. There may be hidden % charges taken of the top from either the Thai or the foreign bank.

NO, not with Nationwide. You may not be familiar with their policy. Nationwide do not impose charges. They pass on a 1% foreign transaction fee from Visa.

I recently tested this by making an ATM withdrawal and then immediately entering the branch and making a counter withdrawal for the same amount. There were no charges applied by the Thai bank for a counter withdrawal either overtly stated or hidden in the exchange rate.

NO, not with Nationwide. You may not be familiar with their policy. Nationwide do not impose charges. They pass on a 1% foreign transaction fee from Visa.

I recently tested this by making an ATM withdrawal and then immediately entering the branch and making a counter withdrawal for the same amount. There were no charges applied by the Thai bank for a counter withdrawal either overtly stated or hidden in the exchange rate.

Thanks for the heads up.

Was the exchange rate the same for both withdrawals?

Is there a minimum amount I can withdraw at the bank counter?

Chaimai,

Dear Jim,

I used the Nationwide Flex Account Debit Card. No charge by Siam Bank or Nationwide. I did the same again last Friday for Baht 50,000. Again no charge by anybody. Very good!!!

Chaimai,

Dear Jim,

Jim I checked today (Monday) with Nationwide about last Friday's withdrawal of Baht 50,000. The rate I received was 55.383 to the Pound and no charges anywheresmile.gif

Jim I checked today (Monday) with Nationwide about last Friday's withdrawal of Baht 50,000. The rate I received was 55.383 to the Pound and no charges anywhere

Well, the X-Rate.com rates for Friday and Monday were 56.17.and 56.18, respectively. So, whether or not your transaction went through same-day, or on Monday (as would be the case with most signature transactions), either number will do to figure your cost.

Nationwide charges .84%, so you should expect to get an exchange rate of 55.71 (56.18*.9916). However, you got 55.383, which represents about an added .5% cost. Whether or not this is representative of some sort of fixed fee (it approximates 250bt for a 50000 withdrawal), or a percentage fee, is not clear. But, compared to someone who used his Nationwide Debit card in an ATM machine recently (a machine that didn't charge the 150bt fee)....

12 Jun 2009 Cash Bay/Big C Chiangrai CHIANGRAI. 15,000.00THB at 55.498. £270.28

....you're paying more for over-counter transactions.

(the X-Rate.com rate for 12 Jun was 55.95)

Edited by JimGant

The various comments about counter transactions and people boating of having "no fee" are pretty meaningless...

As Jim showed above, your home bank (Nationwide or others) still can take their cut via a reduced exchange rate, and you'll never see any explicit fee posted anywhere. But nonetheless, they're taking their cut of your money.

What ultimately matters is how much cash ends up in your pocket and the real net exchange rate you receive. If you're not getting close to the InterBank Exchange Rate as posted on the Bank of Thailand web site or the X-Rates.com site, then you could be doing better.

People reporting that they got exchange rates equal to those posted on the Thai bank's exchange rate boards likewise means very little. The best rates you'll see there is their "buying TT" rates, and those are always LOWER than the IER rates, which the banks never post.

Getting "buying TT" from a counter transaction or ATM withdrawal is nothing to boast about.

When someone posts (and documents) that they did a counter transaction that net equaled or was very close to the IER rates, then I'll be interested.

I withdrew 10000 baht with my Nationwide from a UOB atm on sunday and also got 55.38.

Unfortunately, trying to find a Sunday rate is difficult. But it does seem a little strange you didn't do better, as that assumes the rate dipped down to 55.85 on Sunday -- from 56.17 on Friday. And back to 56.18 on Monday.

But, since we believe UOB is not charging an owner's fee -- and since Nationwide Debit card is, for now, charging .84% -- it would seem that the wholesale rate that Visa got on Sunday was, indeed, 55.85.

Anyway, trying to nail down rates is akin to jello. Even doing a counter operation -- then doing something similar with the same bank's ATM -- could be misleading, even when you factor out the 150bt ATM fee. Why? Because ATM/pin operations use a same-day exchange rate, while signature operations (credit, off-line debit, and counter) wait a day or so before using the exchange rate in effect when processed.

So, solving the counter vs. ATM question might be difficult. So far, the only really bad deal I've seen here is with SCB -- where their counter operations use the DCC rate, advertised quite freely on their website. Yes, you can get up to 200,000bt -- if you're willing to pay about a 3.5% add-on fee. I guess, for some folks in a hurry, with large needs, this might be ok.