Translator Needed

Just1Voice

Ok, folks, here's the deal. I just received my advanced copy of my sci-fi novel from my publisher. And, yeah, I feel like a proud pappa, but I think that's allowed. :)

What I would like to find is someone who could translate it from English to Thai. This would require that the person be FLUENT in English due to some of the scientific and technical terms in the book, so your average translator is of no use to me.

If anyone knows of someone like this, or where I could find someone of this caliber, I would definitely appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Interesting question. There's a relatively small but lively industry and market for Thai translations of English literature, and many capable translators, including a number of ones who are famous simply for their translation work.

Just as I imagine you did with English, you'll need to find a Thai publisher interested in publishing the translation, unless you were thinking of hiring a professional literature translator out of your own pocket. The vast majority of translated literature is notable in its native language first, but there are also tons of smaller publishers who seem to do more about passion projects, but again, often that's just translating a particular famous work that hasn't been translated yet. I know Asimov and others have been translated, but from what I've seen of book offerings, sci-fi isn't a hugely popular genre in Thai to begin with.

I personally don't know anyone who specializes in English > Thai literature, but I know some folks who work in translation (i.e. *book* translation, not birth certificate translation), and they would likely know folks.

Maybe you can tell us more about how you had in mind for this to go down?

The novel in already in print and available for sale in the U.S., as well as online, but understanding that if I hope to have any sales here in Thailand, the book has to be available in Thai as well as English. My Thai step-son, who teaches advanced Thai language on the university level, talked to me about this and stated that a "word for word" translation is not what is needed, and that the translator must be able to also translate the "feeling" of the words, otherwise the book would die from boredom. He's right.

I have been directed to a company in BKK that specializes only in English/Thai translations, interpreters, etc, and have contacted them, sending them a copy of the manuscript for perusal and pricing.

What some may find strange is that this is not about the potential money I could make from sales here in Thailand, but more about a sense of pride for my family. I think can best be understood by the comment my wife made to me last night as we went to bed. She said that Peter, her son, told her he would be so proud to be able to go into a book store, point to my novel and tell his friends: "This is one of my Pah's novels". And yesterday my wife took my advance copy around to show all our neighbors, with a grin plastered on her face that an electric hand sander couldn't have removed. It's not about money, it's about family and the pride they can get from it.

Sure, I know what you mean. See what the translation company says. If you'd like, I can provide you with a list of Thai publishers who frequently publish translations of foreign literature. That way you could send them manuscripts. There are hundreds of publishers, but a list of the ones commonly in this business is another option to start from.

Sure, I know what you mean. See what the translation company says. If you'd like, I can provide you with a list of Thai publishers who frequently publish translations of foreign literature. That way you could send them manuscripts. There are hundreds of publishers, but a list of the ones commonly in this business is another option to start from.

Thanks, Rikker, that would be appreciated. I got a response from one company in BKK. 400,000 baht just to translate it. That's a tad bit more than I am willing or prepared to pay. :)

You can send me an email or PM with the list and I'll start working on that. Fortunately, I have the entire manuscript on computer (as well as backups), so I can send it that way.

Thanks