Spinach

Zeid

Well I might be one of the weird ones that actually loves spinach. My daughter also enjoys it allot at 1.5 years

so after letting the Mrs search for spinach and says it does not exist in issan, (Nong Bua Lamphu) and she has been there now for two months, i went there, and she was surprised to find Spinach seeds in JJ market.

took them back home tried doing the first bag, and it is nto working, i do trust her, that she did plant them, and did the soaking, and everything.

my question is, is it hard to grow spinach? and does it grow to be the same as the ones we know?

again this sounds stupid but corriander and mint leaves where i am are leaves in thailand some can be blankets.

Well I might be one of the weird ones that actually loves spinach. My daughter also enjoys it allot at 1.5 years

so after letting the Mrs search for spinach and says it does not exist in issan, (Nong Bua Lamphu) and she has been there now for two months, i went there, and she was surprised to find Spinach seeds in JJ market.

took them back home tried doing the first bag, and it is nto working, i do trust her, that she did plant them, and did the soaking, and everything.

my question is, is it hard to grow spinach? and does it grow to be the same as the ones we know?

again this sounds stupid but corriander and mint leaves where i am are leaves in thailand some can be blankets.

They're grown somewhere in Udon, as you can often buy them by weight off the veggie counter where they do weight and price stickers, the locals here names it "Boi Ling", while in Bangkok one can even find ones with the purplish leafs, Tops/Marketplace sells these ....

Issan people don't like spinach cos they prefer to eat tougher plants and uncooked.

I tried several times; I am in Isaan; no luck !

It needs cooler weather.

It will do OK in the north.

Spinach and Silver beet grow superbly from my experience. I got seeds from Oz and grew them in old pickup tyres filled with good open soil mix . That was in Udon Thani, they did not do quite as well in Chiang Mai strangely.

They grow so well that it is best to harvest the outer leaves regularly to slow down their running to seed.

Fordhook Giant is probably the best silver beet,I believe its an old English variety. I to,am a spinach lover. Try to source some seeds from Oz, I would be suspect about local seeds.

Hi folks 

In the UK as well as true spinach (Spinacia oleracea) there are a number of other plants grown for their "spinach" leaves such as orache (saltbush) and chard (Beta vulgaris) also known as silver beet, white beet, spinach beet etc..It is also known as perpetual or perennial spinach, (although this is a misleading name as it is biennial), because it is slow to bolt and provides leaf throughout the summer season so I reckon as OzzyDom says this is the one to try in Thailand (I think Fordhook is of european origin it's a savoy type Swiss chard rather than flatleaf and an heirloom variety so stays true from seed) I grow a red stemmed version (ruby chard ) to pick as baby leaf to add to my salad mixes that I sell and it produces well all season.

Have you tried Malabar climbing spinach-Basella alba (not related but easily grown in Thailand ) the leaves are a bit "slimy" raw but good in stir-fries and obviously there is Pak boong which works equally well in spinach recipes.

cheers for now J

Hello All, Known You Seed Co. sells spinach seed in LOS, seed most likely raised in TW. where their main farms are.

As to Fordhook chard, chard may have come from EU, but Fordhook chard was first sold in the early 30's out of Fordhook Farms, home to many of Americas old verities of "garden vegetables".

rice555

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Atlee_Burpee

Are you serious?

Spinach must be one of the fastest growing veggies on this planet.

I grew it on my balcony here in BKK about six small pots and could have a nice spinach meal for two almost every week.

Took seeds to Kalasin and planted it, the stuff grew more than 1.5 meters high.

That stuff once planted keeps growing and spreading seeds all over the place, last time my GF brought back two very big plastic bags of spinach leaves it must have been at least 10 kilo's. after eating spinach for more than two weeks I got a bit bored so threw away the remainders.

Similar to basilicum, I have a few pots here on my balcony and can make a nice salad from the leaves and some toms and unions twice a week.

I was so surprised my first time in Kalasin I stayed for a week and all we had to do when hungry, was just pick the veggies from the land, cook and eat. Some veggies and eggs from the chickens where traded against rice and water was just token from the well.

Fish and river crabs could be catch from the river very easy and as a snack we had any kind of fried bug's.

Gas for cooking was also traded against food and now I am looking to install solar power or something.

Oops, sorry went a bit off topic..... :)

so many experiences

one says Chiang mai best the other says Chiang mai did not work,

we have a saying in my country that says Land quality differs by a hand width.

so i gues sthe best thing to do is try again at a different spot

I grew spinich last winter in CM and it did ok. grew 2 variaties, one was an imported hybrid seed and the other was from the locally available seed. both did well during the cool months, but as soon as it heated up inmarch, it bolted and withered away.

Here in CM it's grown year round, but mostly in the highlands and price varies from under 100thb/kilo to 150/kilo. Called 'poi lang' [sp?] and we eat it 2-3 times a week.

Hello All, for one brand of seed in LOS. http://www.knownyou.com/

Baiphai TA056.

rice555

ps, not all things in the site and their printed catalog are fore sale here, my local seed guy will try to order for me, sometimes they don't have for sale in LOS.

Just because your local guy doesn't have it doesn't mean it's not for sale. At the Chia Tia seed store in BKK, they had Japanese Takii Seed Co. Ltd. Tatsoi(brassica narinosa) seed for sale and had others verities from Takii.