Can't Ship Helmet Into Thailand

Bobm1

After looking all around Pattaya and not being able to find a full face helmet big enough for me I decided to order two online and ship to my daughter in California. She was planning a trip to Thailand so could hand carry the helmets to me. She left a day before the helmets arived at her place so she shipped them vis UPS when she returned home. I just got a call from UPS saying that you need a special import license to bring motorcycle helmets into Thailand. So now my helemts are stuck in customs, I can't get them out and UPS won't ship them back unless I pay for it. It seems to me that UPS should have told my daughter about this restriction before they accepted to ship the package.

Any Idea's of what I can do now? Could I get someone with a helmet import license to clear customs? Or do I just accept the fact that 2 Thai customs officials are going to have new helmets?

After looking all around Pattaya and not being able to find a full face helmet big enough for me I decided to order two online and ship to my daughter in California. She was planning a trip to Thailand so could hand carry the helmets to me. She left a day before the helmets arived at her place so she shipped them vis UPS when she returned home. I just got a call from UPS saying that you need a special import license to bring motorcycle helmets into Thailand. So now my helemts are stuck in customs, I can't get them out and UPS won't ship them back unless I pay for it. It seems to me that UPS should have told my daughter about this restriction before they accepted to ship the package.

Any Idea's of what I can do now? Could I get someone with a helmet import license to clear customs? Or do I just accept the fact that 2 Thai customs officials are going to have new helmets?

You simply need a Thai friend to call customs to see how much tea money is required.

You simply need a Thai friend to call customs to see how much tea money is required.

Yeah, that's the special import license :-(

Due to this fact I really scare to order products from other countries as you'll never know what you will end up paying.

Better use an established Thai importer who will calculate the special fees in his price before.

Anyway good luck with the helmet!

Complete <deleted>. UPS Thailand are in on the scam. I have had 2 helmets delivered so far no problems just paid the duty. delivered by USPS. contact UPS stateside and get them to sort it out. DO not ever send anything to Thailand via the big express delivery companies. Use USPS. Allan

i just sent mine from aus no problems either, apart from more tax and duty that i was hoping to pay but what can you do. good luck calling and getting any sense out of customs also, theyre a prick to deal with.

I too think it's just a customs ripoff. They can lie about all sorts of corrupt excuses and force you to pay. I'd guess that you will eventually walk away and they will keep your helmets. That is likely their plan.

I brought mine in with checked in bag no problem. Waste of time because it was stolen off the bike at the Plaza in Karasin

I think they have mistaken you for a business ?. i have imported 5 a personal level,i was told on one occasion when i had wheels from china arrive that even though the charges were 5000 baht, i could "make an offer" .they are horrible greedy b@stards ,but, did discount mine to 2000 baht, declared value $40.a snell approved helmet is WAY over the spec of helmets sold in thailand,.go and have a fight with them id say, good luck,.and remember apart from cash, the thais dont want you to import anything ,. :)

I have had the same problems with UPS and FedEx - now just use USPS and it works
Thats true and a good tip jim,as for UPS/DHL/FEDEX im convinced they are hand in hand with C and E ,when i was astounded at 100 per cent charges on one import the DHL lady in BKK said to me, quote " why you want to import to thailand ,we have here "........can you even imagaine an employee of a company in the west saying that,. bizzarre :) Edited by imaneggspurt

I have had the same problems with UPS and FedEx - now just use USPS and it works
Thats true and a good tip jim,as for UPS/DHL/FEDEX im convinced they are hand in hand with C and E ,when i was astounded at 100 per cent charges on one import the DHL lady in BKK said to me, quote " why you want to import to thailand ,we have here "........can you even imagaine an employee of a company in the west saying that,. bizzarre :)

I agree, I think the UPS lady is in on the ripoff, this is the email she sent me when I asked what could be done next:

"We need import licence from THAI INDUSTRIAL STANDARD INSTITUES only. Consignee must contactTHAI INDUSTRIAL STANDARD INSTITUES t. 02-2023300,2023333,02-2023469-71 for provide import licence then we will pick up import document, provide clearance and delivery to your destination"

I checked out the TISI web site and found that they are an agency that sets standards for items sold in Thailand, in order for them to approve these helmets they would have to test them first off they would need one of the helmets to test on then it would take several months to go throught the process. SHe has given me an impossible task, UPS called my daughter in the states and told her that I was not cooperating and if we don't get an import permit by next Tuesday they will abandon the package. It would be impossible to get the permit by next Tuesday even if I was inclined to do so. These are G-Max helmets ISO 2009 approved and way above the Thai standard for helmets. I'm sure the custom officer and maybe UPS just want to keep the helmets.

go to the customs office and use one of the customs clearance agents (guys standing around all day that clear customs on your behalf) to clear the parcel for you

the fee should be around 500 baht in total for their services + import duties ect ect which they will also help minimis

i have brought helmets into this country before via the big couriers and no problems. its not what you know its who you know.

again 500 baht should make your life alot easier

2000=11m visitor's

2001=12m " "

2008=5.7m

2009=4.1

For every 1 person exstorted by a slimey,grinning primate in a uniform at least 10 will hear about it,nobody like's paying tax even when legit,but knowing your money is going straight into the pocket of a wanke_r to support what ever shit he is into,sometimes i feel like grabbing his side arm and double tapping him ,smile now you cun_t,off topic but had to be said.

what was the outcome ?

I've brought lots of bike stuff into thailand myself without any hassle, you can pay anything up to 30 % on customs duty which you pay when you collect it from the post office or pay the DHL on delivery.

Maybe buying more than one helmet was the issue ??

Update:

My Daughter has been raising hel_l with UPS in the states, we were told that the deadline to get an import license was Tuesday, I got a call from UPS thailand yesturday, a different person who I had been dealing with before, he told me that thier partner in the states had contacted them about my helmets and that they were going to get them cleared through customs if I would agree to pay the import tax, I replied that of course I would pay import duty, I told them that from the start, anyway they delivered the helmets today and I paid 4500 baht import tax which is what I expected from the start, they would not give me an explanation as to why all the run around, I think that because they were contacted from UPS stateside, the scam was caught out and they had to do the right thing, now I;m wondering if customs had anything to do with it or was it all the local UPS people, I can't see customs changing thier mind because of a call from stateside UPS???

I have had a lot of stuff shipped to me from the states. Never helmets, but other riding gear, electronics, etc. I always instruct whoever is shipping it to never ship it in it's original packaging. Always open it, and repackage in generic packaging, then declare it "Clothes and other used personal items." The only time I was ever taxed at all was when my mother, bless her heart, simply reshipped a GPS unit from Amazon.com in both it's original Amazon and Garmin boxes. Seems to me they only tax if they think it's new.

SB

I have had a lot of stuff shipped to me from the states. Never helmets, but other riding gear, electronics, etc. I always instruct whoever is shipping it to never ship it in it's original packaging. Always open it, and repackage in generic packaging, then declare it "Clothes and other used personal items." The only time I was ever taxed at all was when my mother, bless her heart, simply reshipped a GPS unit from Amazon.com in both it's original Amazon and Garmin boxes. Seems to me they only tax if they think it's new.

SB

Good advice, Thanks SB

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Update:

My Daughter has been raising hel_l with UPS in the states, we were told that the deadline to get an import license was Tuesday, I got a call from UPS thailand yesturday, a different person who I had been dealing with before, he told me that thier partner in the states had contacted them about my helmets and that they were going to get them cleared through customs if I would agree to pay the import tax, I replied that of course I would pay import duty, I told them that from the start, anyway they delivered the helmets today and I paid 4500 baht import tax which is what I expected from the start, they would not give me an explanation as to why all the run around, I think that because they were contacted from UPS stateside, the scam was caught out and they had to do the right thing, now I;m wondering if customs had anything to do with it or was it all the local UPS people, I can't see customs changing thier mind because of a call from stateside UPS???

Well done on sticking to your guns, what a bunch of chancers! I have had a camera and very expensive mobile phone sent to me on separate occasions by normal Royal UK Mail with no problems. Just got my parents to wrap them well in brown plain paper, put down 'present/gift' and job done! Bit of a gamble really!

To be honest, regarding stuff I send from here and stuff I have sent here, I am convinced you are better off using 'normal Mail service'.

Glad you got your helmets, strange....one minute it needs testing etc and next....no problem!! :)

I checked out the TISI web site and found that they are an agency that sets standards for items sold in Thailand, in order for them to approve these helmets they would have to test them first off they would need one of the helmets to test on then it would take several months to go throught the process.

What a joke. Apparently they want to make sure your helmets are up to the standard of the 99-baht "egg-shell" helmets legally sold everywhere in Thailand. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I checked out the TISI web site and found that they are an agency that sets standards for items sold in Thailand, in order for them to approve these helmets they would have to test them first off they would need one of the helmets to test on then it would take several months to go throught the process.

What a joke. Apparently they want to make sure your helmets are up to the standard of the 99-baht "egg-shell" helmets legally sold everywhere in Thailand. :)

Yeah... Scarey, innit!

I wish I still had my French lid from the factory in Chatillon-Sur-Challarone. :D

Is there a helmet with washable innards to get rid of the sweat, available here?

cheers

gd

Update:

Well done on sticking to your guns, what a bunch of chancers! I have had a camera and very expensive mobile phone sent to me on separate occasions by normal Royal UK Mail with no problems. Just got my parents to wrap them well in brown plain paper, put down 'present/gift' and job done! Bit of a gamble really!

To be honest, regarding stuff I send from here and stuff I have sent here, I am convinced you are better off using 'normal Mail service'.

Glad you got your helmets, strange....one minute it needs testing etc and next....no problem!! :)

What a load of bulloc**,testing my As** bunch of crooks I am glad that you had the last laugh.

I had a cell phone shipped in a while back. First the nice lady from FedEx called and asked me for my importer number. I told her it was one phone, for personal use.

After several calls back and forth and a week later, FedEx tried to deliver the package to the house in Chok Chai...of course, I was in Bangkok, so that did not work. The wife got on the phone and redirected the delivery man to a relative's house, where they left the package.

About three weeks later I received a bill of sorts in the mail that indicated a 200 THB duty on the phone. I had the wife look at it and she said, "Is paid already."

So I guess FedEx just covered it. The phone was shipped on my previous employer's FedEx account, so I have no idea if it was ever billed or not.

<shrug>