Emails

macb

I do remember a discussion on here maybe about 2 years + about this Topic but cannot find it in as search:

Basically which software are you using to send and receive your emails:

Is outlook still the best or is it Thunderbird etc etc.

Which do you think is the most efficient ?

I am using Outlook and have done so ever since I had a computer, maybe because it is easy for me or better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I do remember a discussion on here maybe about 2 years + about this Topic but cannot find it in as search:

I am using Outlook and have done so ever since I had a computer, maybe because it is easy for me or better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I have used Outlook, Thunderbird and Windows Live.

I used Outlook for years, until they told me they were closing it down so I looked for an alternative.

I am a great fan of Mozilla, so I set up Thunderbird. I have to say that I don't like it much, and then I tried Windows Live, which is a lot better.

The main thing I find annoying with Thunderbird is that you cannot scroll from the text of one email to the next by simply clicking on a 'next' button. You have to go back to the inbox and click on each title individually to bring up the text, then kill it and click on the next one. This is very time consuming, if like me, you get a load of email notifications from Thai Visa. In Windows, I can click through them all in no time flat, but it takes ages in Thunderbird.

I recently bought a new laptop, and due to my aversion to everything g Microsoft, I decided to give Thunderbird another go, in the hope that they had improved it. But it is still the same, no change, so I deleted it and set up Windows live.

Whatever one you use, you have to jump through few hoops to set up the various email accounts,( gmail, hotmail etc). But if you Google or use the help screens in the set up you will get there in the end.

I've been using Thunderbird shortly after it was released and am quite happy with it. Before that it was Eudora (too complex & bloated over time I felt) and Outlook Express (too minimalist) then PocoMail for a long time. Due to having many e-mail accounts, Thunderbird deals with it nicely allowing separation of all accounts in to their own pigeon holes, good message filters and reasonable spam filters and a reasonably small system resource footprint. Also, plugins are available for it to "tweak" it.

The main thing I find annoying with Thunderbird is that you cannot scroll from the text of one email to the next by simply clicking on a 'next' button.

The Up/Down arrow keys will do that.

Now you tell me :)

I've been using Thunderbird shortly after it was released and am quite happy with it. Before that it was Eudora (too complex & bloated over time I felt) and Outlook Express (too minimalist) then PocoMail for a long time. Due to having many e-mail accounts, Thunderbird deals with it nicely allowing separation of all accounts in to their own pigeon holes, good message filters and reasonable spam filters and a reasonably small system resource footprint. Also, plugins are available for it to "tweak" it.

If you download Thunderbird will it automatically move you address book and existing email accounts or have you got to do this manually

If you download Thunderbird will it automatically move you address book and existing email accounts or have you got to do this manually

When you first run Thunderbird it will ask if you wish to import. You can import Addresses from Outlook, OE, Eudora or text files. The same for e-mail and settings except for the text file part. Or you can do it after you setup your accounts.

The main thing I find annoying with Thunderbird is that you cannot scroll from the text of one email to the next by simply clicking on a 'next' button.

Of course this will probably be more annoying. Other methods. :D

post-566-1245482331_thumb.jpg

When you first run Thunderbird it will ask if you wish to import. You can import Addresses from Outlook, OE, Eudora or text files. The same for e-mail and settings except for the text file part. Or you can do it after you setup your accounts.

Thanks a lot for the information: Maybe its time for a change of email scenery so to speak

If you are using Outlook (not Outlook Express) the Contact database and event calendars (PIM functions) are not in TBird as it is strictly an e-mail client.

//edit - I was wrong about the contact database, it is in the Address book of thunderbird and called Card.

I have used Outlook, Thunderbird and Windows Live.

I used Outlook for years, until they told me they were closing it down so I looked for an alternative.I am a great fan of Mozilla, so I set up Thunderbird. I have to say that I don't like it much, and then I tried Windows Live, which is a lot better.

The main thing I find annoying with Thunderbird is that you cannot scroll from the text of one email to the next by simply clicking on a 'next' button. You have to go back to the inbox and click on each title individually to bring up the text, then kill it and click on the next one. This is very time consuming, if like me, you get a load of email notifications from Thai Visa. In Windows, I can click through them all in no time flat, but it takes ages in Thunderbird.

I recently bought a new laptop, and due to my aversion to everything g Microsoft, I decided to give Thunderbird another go, in the hope that they had improved it. But it is still the same, no change, so I deleted it and set up Windows live.

Whatever one you use, you have to jump through few hoops to set up the various email accounts,( gmail, hotmail etc). But if you Google or use the help screens in the set up you will get there in the end.

Outlook has defienetly not finished, ????????????? it is still sold by microsoft and came with my office 2007 ultimate. Whoever told you that story has got it wrong.

Just installed Thunderbird and works well with Gmail. However did not get it to work with hotmail. Followed settings from hotmail web help. Anyone managed to get it working ?

I'm still using Eudore 7.1 (paid mode) ... I can't wean myself off it...

Tried The Bat Pro... and It just seemed too complex and unintuitive compared to Eudora....

I don't do Web-Based mail.. I want it on my computer where I can't lose it... Plus I don't really believe in On-Line Webmail storage and security...

Plus on my computer I have access to everything, with or without a web connection... I may not be able to send.. but I can still find stuff and work.

I also don't do Mozilla, anything.. Sorry, but I don't like Firefox.. Everytime I try it, I just get frustrated by it's lack of useability without having to download tons of add-ons.. plus I still can't figure out how to open stuff in new tabs intuitivly.. Others may swear by it, but not for me... so that also means that I shy away from Thunderbird.... Also, Mozilla says that they won't be supporting Thunderbird anymore !!!

BUT... having said that, The Original developers of Eudora having been working with the Thunderbird people to create a Eudora version of Thunderbird.. It's available in Beta now from Both the Eudora and Thunderbird sites.. or Google/Bing to find it.

It should be the best of all worlds, but I can't give any review, because I'm too anal to try any beta email programs (I have mail folders that go back to 1984.. or earlier), and I want to be sure I don't corrupt my Eudora mail folders, if I ever want to go back to Eudora from Thunderbird.. so I'll wait for the Final Version... BTW.. It's an Open Source project and therefore Freeware !

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I used Outlook for years, until they told me they were closing it down...

"They" lied to you.

Yes they lied.

Microsoft lied.

they sent me an email, I forget what year, but it was a while back, advising me that Outlook would be phased out and closed within the next 3-4 months

That's when I stated looking for a replacement.

But I guess there was so much anguish out there in email land, that they were persuaded to change their minds - and they never bothered to send me another email to tell me they had changed their mind.

I jumped through hoops to replace Outlook,, including exporting all my emails and files, and they didn't give a sht. :)

Just installed Thunderbird and works well with Gmail. However did not get it to work with hotmail. Followed settings from hotmail web help. Anyone managed to get it working ?

I forget how I did it, but it's not hard.

Just Google "how to install hot mail on thunderbird" and you will get all the info. Alternatively, there is a Thunderbird help on-line, or faq's which will also point the way.

It's just a matter of getting some of the boxes/ settings ticked correctly when you set up Hotmail on Thunderbird.

Yes - full instructions here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Windows-Live...t&p=2138722

I have many Hotmail accounts and got them all working with Thunderbird. Once the accounts were set up, the "Send and Receive" (?) function of Thunderbird collected all my mail from all my Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

I am still using Outlook Express (OE), however, as it is what I'm used to and prefer.

...they sent me an email, I forget what year, but it was a while back, advising me that Outlook would be phased out and closed within the next 3-4 months...

Are you thinking of this one?:

As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail...

- but that was concerning Outlook Express, not Outlook.

Anyway, that was superseded by this one:

You may have received an e-mail from us letting you know that Microsoft is planning to retire the DAV protocol that Outlook Express uses to access Windows Live Hotmail. In response to customer feedback requesting more time to evaluate alternative solutions, we have decided to postpone retiring DAV and we are investigating other alternatives for accessing Windows Live Hotmail via Outlook Express.

And, finally, that one has been followed up by this one:

You are receiving this note because you have used Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage to view your Windows Live Hotmail®. Microsoft is changing the way these programs access Hotmail e-mail which will require you to take action.

To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions...

- one of which is POP3 access to Hotmail.

Yes, Jetset, it was Outlook Express.

Sorry for the confusion folks.

However, I didn't receive any of the follow up emails - maybe because most for the stuff I get from Microsoft is in Thai? I have even complained to them about it but it still comes in Thai.

Do you get the reason why I am not one of their biggest fans?

Of course this will probably be more annoying. Other methods. :D

post-566-1245482331_thumb.jpg

I am no longer annoyed, because you are wrong.

I still have Thunderbird on my Acer, even though I no longer use it.

Neither the UP/DOWN keys or the Previous/Next buttons (I had already tried these before) do what I want it to do.

Let me explain.

In Windows live, I can double click on the first email in my inbox and the full text will appear in my full screen.

Then if I single click 'Next' the full text of the next message will appear on my full screen. By this way I can scroll down all the unread messages, and each one will appear in full text form on my screen, each time I click 'next'

You can't do this in Thunderbird. You can just scroll down from one message subject to the next (which will give you the text on a portion of the screen, but not on the full screen, and it is not easy to read messages quickly in this format).

Correct me if I am wrong :D

I am no longer annoyed, because you are wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong :D

I didn't realize you were using full screen mode, something I don't use. In that case use the "f" and "b" key for forward/back through the messages.

Thunderbird keyboard shortcuts

Brilliant :)

Shamed again :D

Where were you when I need you? :D

That'll teach me to take more notice of short cut keys. I don't usually bother to look at them.