What Was The Bike You Wanted In High School?

submaniac

1100 Katana, iconic bike of the 80s. Yaa Baaaa why did you sell it!? After years of looking I found a 100% legal unmolested, original 1982 GSX750 SS Katana here, still had the Jap spec hideous raised, pull-back clip-ons. Never seen a 1000 or 1100 though?

I started to come to Thailand more and more and realised the futility of trying to bring it here. I still chat with the new owner who funnily enough has it tucked away in his London garage unused for about 2 years now as he got posted to Singapore!!! I could buy it back if I wanted but theres no point. Bought it for £3000 sold it for £3400 2 years later. This was "The Final Editon" which had a few good tweaks, better shocks better brakes, black wheels, but sadly detuned for the Jap market to 95hp but still enough for fun.

That's sad news having to sell it. I know the futility of importing a bike to Thailand but I think for a final edition Katana I would just do it, no matter what the cost. 3,400GBP sounds very cheap, thought 5-6,000 GBP would be nearer the mark with that mileage, or more? I thought there was only one final edition Katana in the UK, they only made 1,100 of them? There was an original 0 mileage, unregistered one for sale in MCN about 5 years ago for 8,000 GBP must be worth closer to 10,000 GBP now. Zero mileage original RD400 Daytona went for 10,000 GBP 4 months ago. I am looking for a GSX1100EFE engine to build a 7/11 but not holding my breathe. Commiserations yabaaaa.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1100 Katana, iconic bike of the 80s. Yaa Baaaa why did you sell it!? After years of looking I found a 100% legal unmolested, original 1982 GSX750 SS Katana here, still had the Jap spec hideous raised, pull-back clip-ons. Never seen a 1000 or 1100 though?

I started to come to Thailand more and more and realised the futility of trying to bring it here. I still chat with the new owner who funnily enough has it tucked away in his London garage unused for about 2 years now as he got posted to Singapore!!! I could buy it back if I wanted but theres no point. Bought it for £3000 sold it for £3400 2 years later. This was "The Final Editon" which had a few good tweaks, better shocks better brakes, black wheels, but sadly detuned for the Jap market to 95hp but still enough for fun.

That's sad news having to sell it. I know the futility of importing a bike to Thailand but I think for a final edition Katana I would just do it, no matter what the cost. 3,400GBP sounds very cheap, thought 5-6,000 GBP would be nearer the mark with that mileage, or more? I thought there was only one final edition Katana in the UK, they only made 1,100 of them? There was an original 0 mileage, unregistered one for sale in MCN about 5 years ago for 8,000 GBP must be worth closer to 10,000 GBP now. Zero mileage original RD400 Daytona went for 10,000 GBP 4 months ago. I am looking for a GSX1100EFE engine to build a 7/11 but not holding my breathe. Commiserations yabaaaa.

There were two imported to the uk I think it was BAT motorcycles who originally imported them. Price well i paid £3k for it it only had a few miles on it but for me the profit of selling was no important, I had my fun on it and enjoyed it for a couple of years and sold it on to a guy who loved it as much at a slight profit.

they were about 8k new imported, when I had it it was already 5 years old. Ive got the meories and some hptos thats enough, id really like to find a mint gsx 750esd again almsot impossible.

Got any photos????

Got any photos????

Yes, but how do I post them? Photobucket?

I wanted a Suzuki Katana GSX750S. At the time it looked like the most bad ass bike around.

I just saw the above post and all I can say is "DO NOT WANT!!"

1980s schoolboy perceptions of beauty have thrown my mind out of sync.

Edited by schondie

Wow, it's great to look back at these bikes. With 30 years of riding under my belt I've had a lot of these (Commando, Triumph twin, XT500, X7, LC350, Katana 1100) but the bike I lusted after when I was in school was the original 180 Laverda Jota. I left school in 1979 and in 1996 finally owned one.

Jota.jpg

What a beauty!!

The Katana looks totally bad-ass too. I am sure I'd have wanted these bikes had I known they existed at the time. In high school in Austria, it was scooters, or Vespas, didn't appeal to me at all.

Yamaha RD400E, beast of a bike, add some clip ons, 2-4 seat and a micron pipe to allow every copper to hear you coming a mile away......ah sweet memories

Whilst riding my FS1E, this was the ultimate dream bike, mind you the Katana was up there as well, but then for sweet sounding bikes, remember the old Honda 400/4, four into 1 pipes with a mega exhaust, sweet sounds

1975-honda-cb400-4.jpg

Edited by Prudent_rabbit

Great thread this!!

When still at school i really wanted a Kawasaki KH 250, the 3 exhuasts did it for me...

By the time i left i actually got a Suzuki X5 200, great little bike. Had many since then, & currently have a TDR 250 Yamaha, & a Honda CB-1 400.

Also got a Yamaha Thunderace in the UK which my mate keeps shiny for me.

post-71502-1272965461_thumb.jpg

post-71502-1272965610_thumb.jpg

post-71502-1272965629_thumb.jpg

Kawasaki KH250, something a little different from friends buying RD250s

My first year out of school and working fulltime, talked out of buying one as first bike so started on dreadful Honda CB200 for about 4 months, then the Kawasaki. Spent that Xmas in hospital, bike a write-off. Speed!

But never stopped riding

This pic from web search - mine was a darker shade of green about same as bike in background

High school a GPZ 750 Turbo. At the time I just couldn't see how bikes could possibly be any more powerful or faster. What a fool I was.

Or at Middle School a Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans

I spent years on an X7 while my mates had LC's

My older brother's got a mint white '78 X7. 5000 miles on the clock. Completely standard. As I type this I've got the sound of the throttle being blipped running through my head.

Edited by mca

High school a GPZ 750 Turbo. At the time I just couldn't see how bikes could possibly be any more powerful or faster. What a fool I was.

Or at Middle School a Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans

I spent years on an X7 while my mates had LC's

My older brother's got a mint white '78 X7. 5000 miles on the clock. Completely standard. As I type this I've got the sound of the throttle being blipped running through my head.

Yeah sounds like a pea in a tin can!!

Bike in high school he_l we were so poor could barely afford shoes for school, a bike was a dream. :)

And you were lucky. 24 live in septic tank in back yard. Young folks today'd no' believe you. LUXURY!

Edited by andrew55

Septic tank? Bloody luxury!!

My mum used to stick her fingers down her throat and throw up so us kids would have a hot dinner in the evening.

My dad gave me an empty shoe box for my birthday and told me it was an Action Man deserter

etc etc

My mum used to stick her fingers down her throat and throw up so us kids would have a hot dinner in the evening.

My dad gave me an empty shoe box for my birthday and told me it was an Action Man deserter

etc etc

You win. Oh shi_t - I think I just split my sides...

etc etc

The thais around me here in the village are wondering if I can be admitted to an asylum for 30 baht, Can't stop laughing at Action Man.

etc etc

The thais around me here in the village are wondering if I can be admitted to an asylum for 30 baht, Can't stop laughing at Action Man.

Gotta stop drinking the rice whisky in the plastic bags. Put it in a Cointreau bottle but same same.

Triumph 500 CC Daytona (1967)

Was faster than the Bonneville 650 due to it's twin carbs

triumph.png

stock photo

The Bonneville had two carbs, it was the Tiger with a single carb. I don't think either version of the 500 would outrun a Tiger, but certainly not a Bonneville. I owned both a single carb 500 and a 650cc.

Speaking of Triumphs and Brit bikes here, when I first arrived here in 1980, encountering pre-unit Triumph 650s was not that unusual, and there were also a smattering of Ariels, Matchlesses, Nortons, etc. running around. At that time a fully restored pre-unit was about 25,000 Baht, or US$1000. I also saw a very rare spring hub from the early 50s. Another interesting bike I saw was an early 50s Royal Enfield 500cc in military kit and perfect shape. It was sent as a sample in hopes of a larger purchase that never happened. There were US Indians here too, saw a late 40s Chief with the valenced fenders. There was a BSA Goldstar for sale near Victory Monument but it was out of my price range. I saw a shaft drive Sunbeam in Surat Thani. Also tons of older BMWs, particular the 250 cc models. Those were the days. Rarest bike I saw was a 350cc Maserati, yes, Maserati. Extremly rate. I wrote to Domiracer in the USA to ask them if they would be interested, but they wrote back to say there was no such thing. I sent them pictures and got an urgent letter back from them telling me they wanted it, but by then it was too late-bought by someone in Japan!