Chev-thailand Slashing Prices

Great News IF it prove to be true, I know a few guys looking to buy a second car,Chevy might just be a good choice if this is in fact true. :)

Allways this rumours. If chevy Thailand goes down, Isuzu will go down as well. Isuzu is nothing else than GM and owned by GM. So if Chevy drops the prices by 30%, Isuzu will lose all their sales. Anyway let's see!. In this case i'm interested to buy a new fully loaded 4 door automatic 4 wheel drive Z71 Pick Up Truck for about 500 and something'k insteadd or 880'k for Isuzu or Vigo, i guess?

Don't hold your breath.

If they did, the market would descend into chaos. Most vehicles are on credit so immediately, many of those agreements would go into "negative equity" with the debt being greater than the resale value of the vehicle. All other vehicles would be similarly affected.

Thailand is not used to price discounting in general on vehicles but rather adding on packages such as accessories and insurance etc. I think this would be the first place for this discounting to happen, with perhaps 2+ years insurance.

You cannot just slash 30% off the price.

Don't hold your breath.

If they did, the market would descend into chaos. Most vehicles are on credit so immediately, many of those agreements would go into "negative equity" with the debt being greater than the resale value of the vehicle. All other vehicles would be similarly affected.

Thailand is not used to price discounting in general on vehicles but rather adding on packages such as accessories and insurance etc. I think this would be the first place for this discounting to happen, with perhaps 2+ years insurance.

The problem mentioned above is already in effect. Most of the cars on sales from finance companies are not even worth their the amount of outstanding payments. Therefore a 4 year old Honda City or Toyota Vios (with proparly a 200'k miles on the odometer), still much over 400'000 Baht in the market value, wich is very overpriced, because for a 120 to 150'k more you'll get a new one.

Heard a rumour.......anyone know if true??

meaning they may be going under like their parent company?

And where did you here your rumor, I'd drop my pants in the middle of victory monument if it is true

I just read that as I was eating breakfast.

Put me right off my egg muffin.

heh, you guys are funny. GM Thailand (aka GM Asia-Pacific, aka Chevy, aka GM Rayong) does not own Isuzu. and for what it's worth, GM Thailand is a separate entity from GM US and at this point, they are relying on a consortium of Thai banks who will fund them something like 17bil baht. no, i do not work for GM Thailand but i do know a bit.

fwiw, i drive a 2006 Colorado 4-door that i absolutely love. while i would prefer a smaller car, many times i am reminded why i bought a truck.

heh, you guys are funny. GM Thailand (aka GM Asia-Pacific, aka Chevy, aka GM Rayong) does not own Isuzu. and for what it's worth, GM Thailand is a separate entity from GM US and at this point, they are relying on a consortium of Thai banks who will fund them something like 17bil baht. no, i do not work for GM Thailand but i do know a bit.

fwiw, i drive a 2006 Colorado 4-door that i absolutely love. while i would prefer a smaller car, many times i am reminded why i bought a truck.

Isuzu and Chevrolet are (except the front grill and headlights) exactly the same car and GM is, i don't know with how many procent, a PARTIAL OWNER, possible the main chairholder. Read below the cpied text from: http://www.answers.com/topic/isuzu-motors-ltd

One of the largest producers of medium- and heavy-duty trucks in the world, Isuzu Motors, Ltd. also produces sport utility vehicles, pickups, and diesel engines. Isuzu ventured into the passenger car market in the 1980s, but pulled out in 1991 after its passenger line dragged the company into heavy losses. With help from partial owner General Motors (GM), Isuzu returned to profitability in the mid-1990s, mainly by concentrating on its strong truck and diesel engine expertise. Becoming something of a manufacturing subsidiary of GM, Isuzu supplemented its strong Asian sales by building small trucks and components for distribution by General Motors. However, the Asian economic recession of the late 1990s, combined with declining truck sales in the United States, drove the company deep into debt, and in the early years of the 21st century Isuzu was forced to undertake a series of radical restructuring programs, in the hopes of reestablishing itself as a major, and profitable, truck manufacturer in the global automobile marketplace.

Don't hold your breath.

The problem mentioned above is already in effect. Most of the cars on sales from finance companies are not even worth their the amount of outstanding payments. Therefore a 4 year old Honda City or Toyota Vios (with proparly a 200'k miles on the odometer), still much over 400'000 Baht in the market value, wich is very overpriced, because for a 120 to 150'k more you'll get a new one.

What you say is a significant part of why Thailand has such unrealistic resale values for second hand cars compared to the rest of the world. Largely by extending finance to 7 years +, taking low deposits and lending to people who should really not be afforded credit.

When I bought the truck, I did look at second hand and the difference between new and a potentially dodgy second hand vehicle meant I bought new. Second hand prices were stupidly high.

If on finance, then new is the only way to go.

I've been looking at buying an Aveo LS or LSX. I don't know a lot about cars but the price for one new seems pretty reasonable, upto 40% lower than a yaris or camry I think. Anyone got any thoughts on the car's performance? Pluto Manibo already mentioned after sales service, care to expand on that?

Edited by seenbetta

I've been looking at buying an Aveo LS or LSX. I don't know a lot about cars but the price for one new seems pretty reasonable, upto 40% lower than a yaris or camry I think. Anyone got any thoughts on the car's performance? Pluto Manibo already mentioned after sales service, care to expand on that?

40% lower then a yaris?You want to say that an aveo costs only around 350.000 Baht?

:) Yeah, that was a big mistake on my part. I don't know a lot about cars and should have realised the yaris is actually about the same price as an aveo. But point of my question remains, has anyone got any real info on the aveo, in terms of reliability and after sales? Anyone driving one now?

Don't hold your breath.

What you say is a significant part of why Thailand has such unrealistic resale values for second hand cars compared to the rest of the world. Largely by extending finance to 7 years +, taking low deposits and lending to people who should really not be afforded credit.

When I bought the truck, I did look at second hand and the difference between new and a potentially dodgy second hand vehicle meant I bought new. Second hand prices were stupidly high.

If on finance, then new is the only way to go.

This is absolutely correct! Prices of used cars are quite high in Thailand, but another thing, cars can be repaired easly and inexpensive. So a 10 or 15 year old car can built back and drive almost like new again, because the cheap labour and parts. But if you buy a Japanese car, not over then 4 years old, than you shouldn't buy a used one, because the price difference to a new one is only very little.

40% lower then a yaris?You want to say that an aveo costs only around 350.000 Baht?

Between a Yaris and a camry are quite big difference. So it is 40% of a Yaris or a camry? Yarys is a "Floormodel Car" and Camry is a "Top Model Car", at least for Thailand. I guess somebody get confused!

This is absolutely correct! Prices of used cars are quite high in Thailand, but another thing, cars can be repaired easly and inexpensive. So a 10 or 15 year old car can built back and drive almost like new again, because the cheap labour and parts. But if you buy a Japanese car, not over then 4 years old, than you shouldn't buy a used one, because the price difference to a new one is only very little.

One thing which shows how stupid buyers must be though is this argument.

Save Bt300,000 on new price. Only Bt600,000 against new price of Bt900,000. However, they only paid Bt750,000 and it is worth perhaps Bt400,000.

I drove an Aveo rental for a while a few years ago in the Middle East and it was a n nice car.

I was considering one here but they wouldn't do a part ex on my old car so I got a Toyota instead.