Any Ex-pats In Thailand Renting Out Homes In The Uk?

If you still have property in the UK that you rent out, do you pay VAT for the service provided to manage it and for any maintainence work carried out?

I do :)

But the thing is that when I sold my UK business I did not pay my soliciters ANY VAT because I live overseas, they said I did not have to and in the 5 years since it has never been queried. My managing agents say I am obliged to, but I just don't understand why?

So if any of you out there are not paying it ...how did you go about becoming VAT Exempt?

Many Thanks

TP

I'm also paying VAT on management services.

I did before fill out a non residency form which means other tax is not deducted at source. Rent comes in minus their fee (& VAT on their fee).

I think it is because their service is based on a fixed property which is located in UK rather than a service to the person who is overseas.

My guess is their is something legal about the service being property based rather than person based. (Just a guess).

Actually never really thought about it - good question.

Offhand I can't remember what the other tax was (income tax??). But I remember being told if you don't fill out the non residency form we will have to deduct xx amount at source; and it was a sizeable portion. I think after that VAT seemed irrelevant !!

Edited by cmsally