Cost Of Living Questions

manarak

Hello all

I am considering moving to Thailand with my family (now that's original...), and I'm doing my calculations to estimate our cost of living.

I am sure this question has already been asked, but I have been searching the forums and other internet sites for some time now, and I am still unable to locate some definitive info on some of the expenses I need to include in my cost of living, especially insurances and utilities.

I'm not looking now for a contest about who will pay less, I just want safe amounts that I can budget on, as well as input on some budget items I might have overlooked.

We are a family of 4, 2 young children (7 and 5 y.o.) - wife is not thai.

We will live in a big house (400-500 sqm) with pool, probably in the area of Jomtien/East Pattaya, Pong, Siam country Club, etc.

Thank you for any input.

(in baht)

Utilities

Power - I have no idea what to budget. We will make heavy use of Aircon, TV etc. We are 4 people in a big house, temperature in living quarters will be ca. 23-25 °C.

internet - I need a good connection. How much is the best available?

cable TV - I read UBC is 1600 baht a month?

water - Family with children and a large pool. I have no idea.

telephone - what is your typical monthly bill without international calls?

mobile phones - is 400 baht monthly per phone enough?

long distance calls - I budget those separately, I plan to use Skype. As an alternative, are there cheap call-by-call solutions?

Insurances

House - I'd like to insure the house itself up to 10m (replacement value), and the contents for about 2m. I heard about premiums around 10-20k a year. Is that accurate?

Car - I'd like to insure damages to third parties only, with me as a designated driver (17 years without claim)

Scooter - same as for the car

health and accident - no cost savings here, I will go for a top notch expat insurance from home with 100% coverage and all extras

Food & beverages used at home

here I don't know. I plan on sending our home employee to the thai markets and have her cook food for us at home.

what about 300 baht per person and per day? in a month, that would be: 300*4*30 = 36000 baht

(this should include beverages and breakfast/lunch for our employee)

too much? not enough?

Then comes the maintenance budget.

aircons - I believe aircon maintenance is every 6 months, but how much per aircon unit?

pool - Then the pool maintenance - how often and how much?

garden - Gardener for 2500 square meters?

house repairs - usually back home this is a % of the cost of the house. what about 5%, i.e. 50k baht?

car - what does the yearly service cost?

petrol - I think I'm on the safe side with 6000 baht per month, I don't drive much

Then the dreaded "miscellaneous" expenses.

No idea what to put in there, will 2000 baht a month cover that?

- proceedings with thai authorities - visa, driving licence, etc.

- everything else I didn't think about?

And finally the "personal allowances".

My wife will certainly like to get some massages, go to the zoo/aquapark/shopping/movies with the children, dining out, taking taxis, buying clothes, buying toys, etc.

I thought about 500 baht a day per adult plus 250 baht per child, putting the total at 1500 baht per day for the whole family?

I still live in Europe, so my current expenses are not relevant.

I want to make a reality check on those budgeted costs one by one, not a short statement like "yeah, with 5k EUR a month you'll do fine".

The reason is I've got my bases covered on other items which I will add later (school, sports, hobbies, savings, travel budget, etc.).

Plus I did the work of writing all this up, in english...

Edited by manarak

Should we be budgeting for the hand guns and girly hotels also?

Manarka Posted on: 2009-05-10 02:57:53

"hmmm...

I thought about an MP5 with some accessories for house defense and a small 9mm handgun for bedroom defense (like a Kahr T9 or a browningHP or a Walther PPS)

no chance for the MP5, eh?

(I mean the short version with 3 shot bursts)"

Manarka Posted on: 2009-03-23 23:09:51

"there is a new site for finding girl friendly hotels: www.wgfriendly.com

looks good, they also include info such as if the hotel got free internet.

they have mainly thailand for now, but I hope they add more soon"

Hello all

I am considering moving to Thailand with my family (now that's original...), and I'm doing my calculations to estimate our cost of living.

I am sure this question has already been asked, but I have been searching the forums and other internet sites for some time now, and I am still unable to locate some definitive info on some of the expenses I need to include in my cost of living, especially insurances and utilities.

I'm not looking now for a contest about who will pay less, I just want safe amounts that I can budget on, as well as input on some budget items I might have overlooked.

We will live in a big house (400-500 sqm) with pool, probably in the area of Jomtien/East Pattaya, Pong, Siam country Club, etc.

Thank you for any input.

(in baht)

Utilities

Power - I have no idea what to budget. We will make heavy use of Aircon, TV etc. We are 4 people in a big house, temperature in living quarters will be ca. 23-25 °C.

long distance calls - I budget those separately, I plan to use Skype. As an alternative, are there cheap call-by-call solutions?

Insurances

House - I'd like to insure the house itself up to 10m (replacement value), and the contents for about 2m. I heard about premiums around 10-20k a year. Is that accurate?

Car - I'd like to insure damages to third parties only, with me as a designated driver (17 years without claim)

health and accident - no cost savings here, I will go for a top notch expat insurance from home with 100% coverage and all extras

here I don't know. I plan on sending our home employee to the thai markets and have her cook food for us at home.

what about 300 baht per person and per day? in a month, that would be: 300*4*30 = 36000 baht

too much? not enough?

aircons - I believe aircon maintenance is every 6 months, but how much per aircon unit?

house repairs - usually back home this is a % of the cost of the house. what about 5%, i.e. 50k baht?

petrol - I think I'm on the safe side with 6000 baht per month, I don't drive much

My wife will certainly like to get some massages, go to the zoo/aquapark/shopping/movies with the children, dining out, taking taxis, buying clothes, buying toys, etc.

I thought about 500 baht a day per adult plus 250 baht per child, putting the total at 1500 baht per day for the whole family?

Outside your wife and family expenses, don't forget to include your monthly "working girl friendly" expenses.

there is a new site for finding girl friendly hotels: www.wgfriendly.com

looks good

I imagine that you have spent some time in Pattaya, so you should have an idea of the costs already.

36,000 Baht per month for home cooked food?

Seems that you are not on a low budget from the lifestyle that you describe and from what I know of people in this category, they spend the same here, or even more as they do in their own country.

Not much help to you I know, but everyone's budget is different.

36,000 Baht per month for home cooked food?

Well it doesn't look like he will be eating radna with rice, and 3 fried crickets for each,....like you and me, uncle :D

edit:

oh forgot about....nampla priks for jim jim also :)

Edited by teacup

Whatever you do, don't scrimp on car insurance. Having First Class (fully comprehensive) is a must, if only for peace of mind of a rep helping you out should you have a prang/be pranged. Driving here is a little bit different to farangland.

Hello all

Thank you for any input.

(in baht)

Utilities

Insurances

too much? not enough?

I live in Bkk for the past 2 years in a 300SM house and my estimate for you for the life style you are looking as described above, you would need a budget of 200,000 bth or about $6000/month min excluding kids’ school fees

You don't make sense at all.

You're talking about a big house, a pool boy and a gardener and at the same time a third class insurance and an allowance of 500 Bahts / day for your wife.

For a middle class European life style, I'ld agree with givenall, a monthly budget of 200,000 is a good starting point.

Now if you want to live like a billionairex, the sky the limit, but don't make the mistake to think Thailand is cheap !

You're talking about a big house, a pool boy and a gardener and at the same time a third class insurance and an allowance of 500 Bahts / day for your wife.

For a middle class European life style, I'ld agree with givenall, a monthly budget of 200,000 is a good starting point.

Now if you want to live like a billionairex, the sky the limit, but don't make the mistake to think Thailand is cheap !

200,000 a month!!!

We live on 10% of that. Comfortably.

I plan on sending our home employee to the thai markets and have her cook food for us at home.

That should be a nice little money maker for the maid.

My GF and me spend about 3500 a day if you include petrol and car costs, but I guess if you try to live a simple Thai village style life 1500 is possible.

200,000 a month!!!

Not exactly 10% we can have good life style on maybe 40% :) Ahhh!!! The advantages of living in Issan……………also away from all those larger louts!!! We here about :D

200,000 a month!!!

Not exactly 10% we can have good life style on maybe 40% :) Ahhh!!! The advantages of living in Issan……………also away from all those larger louts!!! We here about :D

I know. Issan is paradise really. I've actually got our total average spend (annual spend / 12) to <30,000 a month.

But I can't resist those garden centres, they're like a drug.

You'd need 200k a month on the eastern seaboard thinking about it.

200,000 a month!!!

Not exactly 10% we can have good life style on maybe 40% :D Ahhh!!! The advantages of living in Issan……………also away from all those larger louts!!! We here about :D

I know. Issan is paradise really. I've actually got our total average spend (annual spend / 12) to <30,000 a month.

Working overseas I do not have time to do the garden...lucky my wife does and like yourself she is also in the garden centers buying stuff,loves it and always keeps in nice. :D

I just like sitting in the garden eating,drinking the odd beer :) and relaxing when I come home.

As you rightly say in Pattaya cost lot more as I lived there for 6 years before moving to Issan, best move ever, but every one to there own choice :D .

I'm still stuck at this massive power bill you've got coming. Firstly, you need to find a system that in summer will actually reduce the outside temp from 35 deg ++ to a very CHILLY 23 Deg. What on earth are you leaving Europe for if you like it so cold.

I'm guessing to have a 500-600 square metre home at that temp, ur gonna be burning some electricity. Since you are living in a house, you can work on about 3.5 baht per unit of electricity.

A gardners going to set you back about 6000 to 8000 thb.

I'd say by the sound of things, your going to spend a little more than the 200,000 baht per month, once you consider school fees, full health insurance for a family of 4 & all that yadda that goes with the way you want to live. :)

200,000 a month!!!

It depends where you live.

We have two houses. One in Isaan,small village, our main expenses are the gas for the car and the internet, house is fully paid, so beside that, I would have hard time to spend more than 200 bahts a day.

On the other hand for our house in Bangkok, just for the mortgage and basic household expenses, it already cost us 50,000 / month, then we have to eat, and basic city expenses, minimum 1,000 Baht a day. So for a couple, no kids, without doing nothing, it already cost us more than 100,000 / month.

Honestly I've better time in Isaan taking care of my garden, but unfortunately can't afford to retire yet.

200,000 a month!!!

Not exactly 10% we can have good life style on maybe 40% :D Ahhh!!! The advantages of living in Issan……………also away from all those larger louts!!! We here about :D

Working overseas I do not have time to do the garden...lucky my wife does and like yourself she is also in the garden centers buying stuff,loves it and always keeps in nice. :D

I just like sitting in the garden eating,drinking the odd beer :) and relaxing when I come home.

As you rightly say in Pattaya cost lot more as I lived there for 6 years before moving to Issan, best move ever, but every one to there own choice :D .

Yep. I have to leave here now and again to go to work. Bl00dy glad this recession has hit. I've got a bit of work coming in I do from here and the rest of the time is spent in the garden doing an Alan Titchmarsh impression.

Off to Portugal on contract soon for 4 years, will be back every three months, no doubt to over grown lawns and the odd dead flower.

Pattaya isn't Thailand, you're right, best moves and all that.

Air con 23 to 25 C? A huge house? You will spend more for electricity than many people spend for their total living expenses.

A gardener? For what? If you are fairly well off, that isn't a problem but if your funds are limited, you will very quickly exceed your budget.

Living here in Thailand isn't expensive but if you want to live like royalty, it WON'T be cheap.

Thanks for all the replies and the useful tips by PM also.

Whatever you do, don't scrimp on car insurance. Having First Class (fully comprehensive) is a must, if only for peace of mind of a rep helping you out should you have a prang/be pranged. Driving here is a little bit different to farangland.

--> First class is all damages, right?

I would like the best available insurance for damages to others (cars and persons).

Is there any particular reason why my own car should be insured against all damages?

I don't plan to have an expensive car.

it is our lifestyle - we like assets and we dislike consumer goods.

Maybe I'll just up the daily allowance then.

But I still don't know the typical cost of a day out with the family.

(poolboy and gardener are not full time of course, just visits when needed)

For a middle class European life style, I'ld agree with givenall, a monthly budget of 200,000 is a good starting point. Now if you want to live like a billionairex, the sky the limit, but don't make the mistake to think Thailand is cheap !

-> Yes, I plan to move with a revenue of 250k baht per month that follows me.

I don't want to think Thailand is cheap by taking budget figures out of my ass, therefore I started this thread.

plus visa runs

-> no visa runs required.

My GF and me spend about 3500 a day if you include petrol and car costs, but I guess if you try to live a simple Thai village style life 1500 is possible.

This had me thinking a lot... So, you 2 spend 3500 baht a day of pocket money? Isn't that a lot...

I'm still stuck at this massive power bill you've got coming. Firstly, you need to find a system that in summer will actually reduce the outside temp from 35 deg ++ to a very CHILLY 23 Deg. What on earth are you leaving Europe for if you like it so cold.

I'm guessing to have a 500-600 square metre home at that temp, ur gonna be burning some electricity. Since you are living in a house, you can work on about 3.5 baht per unit of electricity.

A gardners going to set you back about 6000 to 8000 thb.

I'd say by the sound of things, your going to spend a little more than the 200,000 baht per month, once you consider school fees, full health insurance for a family of 4 & all that yadda that goes with the way you want to live.

Thanks for the useful post!

Power was in fact one of my bigger concerns. I had budgeted 10k a month, but reading your post, I will rather try to get a smaller house or try to reduce the airconned areas. Otherwise the 10 or 12 aircons will hit me hard.

3.5 baht per unit of electricity...

hmmm... how much units does a bigger aircon unit use if it is on at all times?

gardener... 6 to 8k... that's in a year?

I don't need a full time gardener. Just someone who does the occasional mowing and clean up.

Air con 23 to 25 C? A huge house? You will spend more for electricity than many people spend for their total living expenses.

A gardener? For what? If you are fairly well off, that isn't a problem but if your funds are limited, you will very quickly exceed your budget.

Living here in Thailand isn't expensive but if you want to live like royalty, it WON'T be cheap.

A friend who let out rooms had a tenant who had the aircon set cold and 24hours a day. The cost worked out roughly 100 Bt Sq m per month.

So in a 400 Sq m house you could be looking at 40,000 Bt. Of course I don't know how efficient that unit was so you can't take that figure for granted.

Yes, I plan to move with a revenue of 250k baht per month that follows me.

I don't want to think Thailand is cheap by taking budget figures out of my ass, therefore I started this thread.

If your revenue in $ or Euro please don't make the mistake of assuming that the exchange rate will stay the same.

You mentioned UBC, satellite TV.

Many expats here hate it and say it is overpriced at around 4000 baht/month. In Pattaya I get Sophon Cable TV for 3600 Baht /YEAR. This offers about 60 channels including, :-

All Thai 'free to air' stations

Deutche Welle, BBC News, Bloomberg, Fox News, RAI Italia, a Russian channel, Al Jazeera English, Canal 5 (France)

Several local (cable) stations aimed at expats

Several movie channels in English and Thai

At least two sports channels

and some others I can't remember.