Nissan Sunny - Shock Absorbers

Nissan Sunny, 2002, auto.

During the checkup when changing oil, the mechanic noticed some problem with shock absorbers in my car. He told me that I better replace them (~ 10,000 baht) before some other parts are damaged.

What is the best place in Bangkok, to check that stuff?

Please advice.

The only things which can be seen on the outside of shock absorbers are them leaking oil and or worn out rubber bushings.

Do a little test yourself. Push the front/rear side of the car down firmly. If the car stops bouncing withing 2 - 3 cycles you may assume the shocks are OK.

If the car keeps bouncing and feels sloppy / not firm in handling the induced motion, assume the shocks are on the way out.

Ask for a second opinion if not sure and price quote too. Not sure about the 10.000.

It is not worth it to repair shock absorbers. Just the seals and labor alone will cost atleast 500 baht per. Also gas shocks cannot be repaired, only oil types. They can range anywhere from 1000 baht per pair to around 5-6 even 10,000 for koni, rancho, etc. Just be careful of fake ones, like the genuine OEM parts that are not really genuine. You'll be fine with KYB or monroe. gabriel are a little more pricey but are a much better ride.

Just because you don't see any leaks doesn't mean your shocks are worn out. If you do see leaks then they are really worn out. Remember shocks and springs are in use 24 hrs a day even if you don't drive your car. On my car one day it just felt weird when I was going over speed bumps. I didn't see any leaks, and did the bounce test. One day I just removed the shocks and one of them had a different rate compression/return than the other. I guess the shock was worn or died.

Do a little test yourself. Push the front/rear side of the car down firmly. If the car stops bouncing withing 2 - 3 cycles you may assume the shocks are OK.

Normally only 1 time and it should stop, 3 times is really worn out.

I was applying Thai standards.... :)

10,000B IS SURE EXPENSIVE. IT COST ME 2400B FOR ALL 4 SHOCKERS ON A FORD RANGER TRUCK AT B-QUIK. cars are a bit different. front expensive rear ok

600 baht each? Hmm.. my Toyota pickup is like a bucking bronco when I go too quick across some junctions so I've been thinking about replacing them all. It's over 5 years old so the shocks are probably no good.

Thank you all for the replies.

I would like to have a second opinion on my shock absorbers. I do not have any visible problems when driving.

Would it be better to go the the authorized Nissan Garage, or any other repair shop can do that job as well?

Any advise on the repair shop in downtown Bangkok?

Just back from the repair shop. They checked my shock absorbers and breaks, and told me that everything is OK for at least another 6 months.

Thank you all.

Ok, we saved you 10.00 baht, so where are we going for a beer?? :) Glad you got it sorted !