Autherntic Thai Food Perth Australia

Tolley

A new place has opened in William St Northbridge for those of you in Perth that serves as close as you can get to authentic thai food as I have seen anywhere.

I have tried their Pad Krapow which uses the mince beef, pork or chicken and cannot discern any difference from what i get in Thailand.

I would say ditto for the Pad Sie Eiw, Gai Yang, Som Tum and many others.

You even get the same little set of condiments that are alays used in thailand that have the dry chilli, sugar, chilli in liquid and whatever the other one is.

It is full of Thai people everytime i go and not really known by farangs yet.

It gets a big thumbs up and i would say you couldnt get any close to authentic that this place.

Perth and Fremantle have heaps of Thai places that are pretty authentic. William Street has more than one. But the prices are not authentic Thai.

I have been to plenty of thai places in perth and none are really authentic but this new one is as good as you are going to get.

And it is not that expensive compared to other Thai places in Perth.

10 dollars for Pad Sie Eiw

15 dollars for Som Tum and Gai Yang

11 dollars for Pad Krapow

I recall visiting a Thai restaurant in Wanneroo.

The decor was very Thai, right down to a big framed picture of royalty.

Even beautiful Thai statues in the entrance

We sat down because my TW was hungry as usual (pregnant).

The waitress came - she was Asian but did not speak a word of Thai.

We ordered some food.

Eventually the food came.

Even though we ordered two dishes that would normally taste very different in

Thailand, they both looked the same and tasted the same.

My wife didn't eat much and nor did I.

The food tasted very similar to Aussie style Chinese takeaway!

When I was paying the bill, the chef was doing something behind the counter so

I asked him where he was from - He said he was from Hong Kong!

So many Aussies are getting ripped off by Chinese restaurants pretending to be Thai.

The average Aussie would be saying:

"Gee we had Thai food last night! - but it tasted just like the takeaway we got down at The Red Dragon.

Asian food - all the same to me mate!"

I recall visiting a Thai restaurant in Wanneroo.

The decor was very Thai, right down to a big framed picture of royalty.

Even beautiful Thai statues in the entrance

We sat down because my TW was hungry as usual (pregnant).

The waitress came - she was Asian but did not speak a word of Thai.

We ordered some food.

Eventually the food came.

Even though we ordered two dishes that would normally taste very different in

Thailand, they both looked the same and tasted the same.

My wife didn't eat much and nor did I.

The food tasted very similar to Aussie style Chinese takeaway!

When I was paying the bill, the chef was doing something behind the counter so

I asked him where he was from - He said he was from Hong Kong!

So many Aussies are getting ripped off by Chinese restaurants pretending to be Thai.

The average Aussie would be saying:

"Gee we had Thai food last night! - but it tasted just like the takeaway we got down at The Red Dragon.

Asian food - all the same to me mate!"

The Thai food in Perth is generally of very poor quaility and very expensive and nothing remotely like what you get in Thailand.

As i mentioned earlier the new place in Northbridge is as genuine as you are gonna to get anywhere outside of thailand.

Is is full of thais and the occasional farang who like me happened upon it.

Thai food in Sydney is excellent and well priced although in most cases not really authentic but still there are many outstanding thai restaurants all over Sydney. I don't know why Perth cant do it but it seems standards in Perth generally for dining out are poor.

Thai food is a massive craze at the moment in Australia. They are popping up everywhere.

At the moment! <deleted>

I have been a Thai Restauranteur in Melbourne since the beginning of 94, and I was about 6-7 years or so late on the scene.

The first Thai Restaurants appeared in Sydney, Paddinton and Military Road, Mosman, at the beginning of the 80's.

A few years back in Sydney, there were more Thai Restaurants than Chinese! 10 years ago in Melbourne the Chinese were 'converting' and turning their premises in thai restaurants.

In Australia, there are Thai Restaurants - and there are Thai Restaurants. The worst I ever went to was in Byron Bay. Not even close to Thai food. I have to laugh even local australian Pubs are putting 'Thai' meals on their boards! Thai style this and thai style that. Most of it rubbish.

If you get to Melbourne, get back to me.

Edited by cpofc

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has been to the one mentioned by the OP - she said it was OK....which is the best she has ever said about any thai restaurant in Perth. Not that we have been to many - when she first visited we went for thai and she was shocked at the quality and the price. After living and visiting LOS I haven't bought any decent thai food in Perth, tho' I'm sure there must be some.

Luckily my wife is a good cook so we don't need to eat out at thai restaurants, we go to others which she likes. Aslo she gets together with her friends and they cook stuff that is just delicious!!