Ubon

free494

You may have more success asking the members within the Isaan forum section. They have more local experience of where to look. Are you looking to rent, sell or buy? Another good start point is the above Thaivisa classified section which lists some properties in Ubon and/or you could sell your own property on there. Bahtsold.com is another website listing in Ubon. I have seen one or two agents up/down the chayangkul road on my travels in Ubon through the city centre but word of mouth and asking around is usually best course of action. There are two expat hangouts in Ubon... N-Joy bar and WrongWay cafe they have information aswell. Darwin, who runs the following site is also very knowlegable and has lived in the area for many years:

www.weloveubon.com

Edited by jay-uk

You may have more success asking the members within the Isaan forum section. They have more local experience of where to look. Are you looking to rent, sell or buy? Another good start point is the above Thaivisa classified section which lists some properties in Ubon and/or you could sell your own property on there. Bahtsold.com is another website listing in Ubon. I have seen one or two agents up/down the chayangkul road on my travels in Ubon through the city centre but word of mouth and asking around is usually best course of action. There are two expat hangouts in Ubon... N-Joy bar and WrongWay cafe they have information aswell. Darwin, who runs the following site is also very knowlegable and has lived in the area for many years:

www.weloveubon.com

There is actually that 2,, atleast 3 PEPPERS Bakery & Cafe front of the Airforce entrace, nice Oz & Kiwi lads running that with exelent and afodable menu.

tel: 045 264566

297/2-3 Uppalisan rd. Muang Ubon Ratchathani

Click here for Peppers web page

Sorry cant help you out in housing.

there is a lot of houseing projects going in anr out of Ubon, those so called "copu house villages" when one is drunk you cant find your own house becase all of them look same :)

also there is those who are building houses, they know some house for selling but then you have to pay cut for them and most of the times those houses are bit high price.

Banks also selling houses.

I know a half-decent builder in Ubon if you decide to design your own home. He's just finished one for us 85k out of the town.

Hopefuly it's NOT Yanvit land & House,, i mean that is just crap,, there is 0 service or repairs after the house is build,,,i butild with them in 97 and have few others who did so and all of had to done lot's or after finished our house lot's of repairs...

In terms of buidling, my gf tried to go with official contractors with offices but it was way overpriced. The land was just bought informally through word of mouth. Just up from Hat Wat Tai- 500,000B for a roughly 500 square meter lot, 800,000 for a raised, post&beam house with tile roof- 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and a 8ft high wall around the lot. The construction is just finishing. At 24 years old, I think I might me the youngest farang to ever get pulled into the isaan saga to this degree? I don't spend much time there, but jay-uk and bergen say the city is growing, I hope that means home values are going up! Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Svenn

In terms of buidling, my gf tried to go with official contractors with offices but it was way overpriced. The land was just bought informally through word of mouth. Just up from Hat Wat Tai- 500,000B for a roughly 500 square meter lot, 800,000 for a raised, post&beam house with tile roof- 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and a 8ft high wall around the lot. The construction is just finishing. At 24 years old, I think I might me the youngest farang to ever get pulled into the isaan saga to this degree? I don't spend much time there, but jay-uk and bergen say the city is growing, I hope that means home values are going up! Can anyone confirm this?

I am not there much myself either but I do try and keep in touch with friends I've made in Ubon and family who give an insight into Ubon on a weekly basis. For us as a family with 2 kids visiting only every 2 years we get a feel for how things are expanding in the city each time we arrive. As for property value increases..... I'm honestly not sure if you can sell houses for anything more than you paid to build them. The price of new houses are on the increase but that is somewhat due to land, labour, building materials and diesel costs all going up. Houses in LOS don't seem to have the same level of appreciation unless in the cities or resorts. Ubon has seen substantial land value increases over the years but I'm not sure whether a house is going to go up in value much. Don't forget when a Thai has a million baht to build a house they will usually do the same as the farangs and build a new one. The market for second hand houses is not like ours in the west. Build quality plays a big part as perceived worth of a second hand house is much lower as they tend to deteriorate over the years. However, if your house is well located on a prime site piece of land then you will no doubt see some increase. If its out in the sticks then don't expect it to go up much. My wife's family have houses scattered around the villages and none of them have gone up much at all in the ten years I have known about them.

If you are 24yo and getting pulled into what you call a saga then my advice would be to slow things down and make any investments at your own pace. Don't get pressured into a quick house purchase without seeing for yourself the area in order to make an informed decision on who you use to build your home and whether you would be happy with what is proposed.

I am not there much myself either but I do try and keep in touch with friends I've made in Ubon and family who give an insight into Ubon on a weekly basis. For us as a family with 2 kids visiting only every 2 years we get a feel for how things are expanding in the city each time we arrive. As for property value increases..... I'm honestly not sure if you can sell houses for anything more than you paid to build them. The price of new houses are on the increase but that is somewhat due to land, labour, building materials and diesel costs all going up. Houses in LOS don't seem to have the same level of appreciation unless in the cities or resorts. Ubon has seen substantial land value increases over the years but I'm not sure whether a house is going to go up in value much. Don't forget when a Thai has a million baht to build a house they will usually do the same as the farangs and build a new one. The market for second hand houses is not like ours in the west. Build quality plays a big part as perceived worth of a second hand house is much lower as they tend to deteriorate over the years. However, if your house is well located on a prime site piece of land then you will no doubt see some increase. If its out in the sticks then don't expect it to go up much. My wife's family have houses scattered around the villages and none of them have gone up much at all in the ten years I have known about them.

If you are 24yo and getting pulled into what you call a saga then my advice would be to slow things down and make any investments at your own pace. Don't get pressured into a quick house purchase without seeing for yourself the area in order to make an informed decision on who you use to build your home and whether you would be happy with what is proposed.

The fact that homes themselves don't increase in value but the land does is kind of odd... because all the attributes of old houses such as deterioration could be said of western houses too. I'm guessing it's all just based on perceived value, like everything else in the market. I for one may have the mind of a Thai in that I can never imagine buying a house in the US that isn't one I built or VERY special in terms of old craftsmanship. One thing that might be a factor in Thailand is poor upkeep?- paint jobs fail and grout lines get full of mold- easily curable problems, but most thais don't seem to fix them when they put their house up for sale. Maybe the other major issues is that many building sites in Isaan cities have houses worth less than 100k on them- so if a buyer doesn't see a used house he likes, he can just find another lot next door and demolish the shanty that was on it and build new. In the West lots aren't available like that.

Yeah, it's a saga, but I use that word in a positive sense :D . It took us (well me mostly) 3 years of saving to be able to build this structure, and I'd do it all over again just because she deserves it and I have no other committments, since we're both 24, so it makes me happy to see her happy. If we end up breaking up in the future, no worries, it's her house and I'm glad to be able to give it to her. I would never have done this for the typical Isaan girl I hear about who has, however meager, at least a farm and family to go back to. My gf's youth was basically an orphan refugee in ratchathani without shoes or food beyond what the wat would hand out. We ward off the now 'dear old aunties' and 'uncles' who never helped her before with 10ft long poles as they try to gravitate to the new house :)

Edited by Svenn

Thanks a lot for the advice. Had a look last year at a few houses for sale but they didn't look strong and only 200m2 land. Maybe a better option is buying land and build a house. Is THB 500.000 for 500m2 the going rate? Guess this is in or close to the city.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Had a look last year at a few houses for sale but they didn't look strong and only 200m2 land. Maybe a better option is buying land and build a house. Is THB 500.000 for 500m2 the going rate? Guess this is in or close to the city.

Like the other posters said, it all depends on the quality of construction. From what I've read, if the house is just going to be cinderblock walls on a concrete floor with a sheet metal roof, then 500k for 500m2 is too expensive (probably should be more about 250k, see other posts). If however the house is post and beam construction (raised off the ground with suspended concrete slabs for floors, tile roof, etc, then 500k is about right. Our house is the latter at maybe 1000m2 and was 800k. Neither of these figures includes furniture or appliances, which can easily double the price of the house.