Dual Citizenship

Australian man marries a Thai lady, they are now in Australia awaiting her Australian citizenship.

Will she loose her Thai citizenship once she becomes an Australian citizen or are Thais allowed dual nationality.

Thanks in advance.

It's already been answered above...but it's fun to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, she can keep Thai citizenship after gaining Australian. I did the same thing with U.S. citizenship...and the United States is a better country than Australia. :)

It's already been answered above...but it's fun to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, she can keep Thai citizenship after gaining Australian. I did the same thing with U.S. citizenship...and the United States is a better country than Australia. :)

You obviously don't know much about Australia.

Oh really?

On the double nationality issue, as I gather and was told by someone who should know very well, ofiicially a Thai national cannot have two nationalities.

If taking another nationality, the Thai one should be given up.

However, like so many things in this country, there is the law and there is reality.

Oh really?

On the double nationality issue, as I gather and was told by someone who should know very well, ofiicially a Thai national cannot have two nationalities.

However, like so many things in this country, there is the law and there is reality.

There is no law that says a Thai cannot have dual nationality. There are a couple of cases in the nationality act where it can be taken away but it requires such a high level approval and action that it would be very unlikely to happen.

This has been covered in many threads in this forum and the other visa forum.

U.S. citizenship...and the United States is a better country than Australia. :)

Submaniac, if I was to suggest somethingas outageous as you have above, I would append "in my opinion, the Unites States etc."

It is, after all, only your personal opinion, not an indisputabe fact.

I'm an Australian and have spent quite some time in the US, and my opinion is that Australia is a far better country in which to live.

Submaniac, if I was to suggest somethingas outageous as you have above, I would append "in my opinion, the Unites States etc."

I'm an Australian and have spent quite some time in the US, and my opinion is that Australia is a far better country in which to live.

I believe the smiley says it was made in jest.

...On the double nationality issue, as I gather and was told by someone who should know very well, ofiicially a Thai national cannot have two nationalities.

Officially, a Thai national can have two nationalities, but the law does not automatically condemn a Thai national to retain his Thai nationality if he does not want to keep it. In some situations, eg a Thai woman who marries a foreigner, the law allows her to inform a designated ministry that she wishes to renounce her Thai nationality and if the minister approves then she can get rid of her unwanted Thai nationality. Only if the minister disapproves her request is she condemned to retain it.

The law says nothing, I believe, about a Thai man marrying a foreign woman and acquiring his wife's nationality as his second nationality, ie not forbidden and therefore allowed.

Children of a Thai national are automatically Thai nationals by birth but if they acquire also another nationality have the right, but not the obligation, to apply for renunciation of the Thai nationality.

Nationality Act

--

Maestro

P.S. I see that the relevant section of the law has been made gender-neutral last year and both a Thai woman and a Thai man who acquired the spouse's nationality now have the same right to apply for renunciation of the Thai nationality if they wish to do so.

Edited by Maestro
Added postscript - Maestro

Oh really?

you are right that the text of the nationality act, if strictly read in section 22, does not allow for a Thai to 'naturalise' as another nationality, without forefeiting Thai nationality. But this is rare, as most people aquire a foreign nationality by other means, according to how it is defined in the thai nationality act.

So you need to be careful in how you interpret this particular section of the act.

The act clearly states that it doesn't have problems with a thai spouse taking up the nationality of their foregin husband/wife, and does not regard this as 'naturalisation', but rather aquisition of another nationality via marriage. The act is very clear that for people who 'take up' their spouses nationality, that they have an option for renunciation, but only if they so wish. The advice and guidance to this effect is available on the FAQ sections of most Thai embassy websites overseas.

The law also doesn't disallow for children who were born with muliple nationalities, or keep them into adulthood. The only area it does have issues with muliple nationalities is if a child is born with Thai nationality aquired due to both (foreign) parents having permanent residency in thailand. It can be lost if a number of criteria are met, mostly due to living overseas for an extended period, but it has to be proven and the nationality stripped via a comittee...a long process.

So you have to be careful. Law always comes down to definitions, not just carte blanche assertions.

nb. The Thai act in its intent is very similar to the Australian citizenship act up to 2002. There, it was possible to hold more than one nationaity if you became an Australian citizen (in addition to your old one), we born with more than one citizenship, or (for certain periods of time) acquired another citizenship via marriage. But, if you were an australian citizen who took out another nationality, you automatically lost it (like rupert murdoch).

Edited by samran

I believe the smiley says it was made in jest.

Yes. Thank you lopburi. A smiley indicates that a statement is made in jest. I thought you Australians were supposed to have a sense of humor...Crocodile Dundee and all that. See? I'm down with you guys.

i was thinking he did not know much about the united states

Probably more likely doesn't know much at all, crocodile dundee is not a good representation of the real Australia.

It's already been answered above...but it's fun to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, she can keep Thai citizenship after gaining Australian. I did the same thing with U.S. citizenship...and the United States is a better country than Australia. :D

Probably more likely doesn't know much at all, crocodile dundee is not a good representation of the real Australia.

paul_hogan_as_michael_j_crocodile_dundee.jpg

1244819210_steve_irwin.jpg

You mean all Australians do not dress in khaki's and wrestle crocodiles?!?!?!?!?!

:)

Seems some of our Aussie members are lacking a funny bone here. He's said it was in jest, relax a little and have a laugh.

Have you considered that maybe you do not understand dry Australian humour?