Chiang Mai Expat Needed!

tumbleweeds

Hi,

I am writing an article about life in Chiang Mai, geared towards those thinking of living there long-term. I need to find an expat who has lived in Chiang Mai for at least several months (and preferably longer) whom I can interview. Nothing personal and nothing that would take a lot of time. If you're living there now and wouldn't mind a few questions, I would really appreciate the help! Thanks so much!

Hi,

I am writing an article about life in Chiang Mai, geared towards those thinking of living there long-term. I need to find an expat who has lived in Chiang Mai for at least several months (and preferably longer) whom I can interview. Nothing personal and nothing that would take a lot of time. If you're living there now and wouldn't mind a few questions, I would really appreciate the help! Thanks so much!

I'm happy to oblige..I have resided here for past 6 years and also work with Tourist Police here..email me //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Edited by Tywais

:)

Do everyone, especially anyone who might happen to read your "article", a favor

and drop the idea until you learn enough about journalism to understand that you don't

interview "one person" and then write an article. If you would have ever looked at this forum you

should have gleaned an understanding that you'll get fifty different impressions on retirement in

Chiang Mai from fifty different people. Do like most journalists make up whatever story you want to peddle

for assuredly there is one Chiang Mai ex-pat that will agree with whatever you write.

and drop the idea until you learn enough about journalism to understand that you don't

interview "one person" and then write an article. If you would have ever looked at this forum you

should have gleaned an understanding that you'll get fifty different impressions on retirement in

Chiang Mai from fifty different people. Do like most journalists make up whatever story you want to peddle

for assuredly there is one Chiang Mai ex-pat that will agree with whatever you write.

Tumbleweeds,

I wasn't going to reply as your OP didn't quite make sense to me ("expat who has lived in Chiang Mai for at least several months"). But L&J's reply seems so apt that I wanted to add my concurrence. If you really want to do some "investigative journalism" and write a report, I would suggest publishing a premise or some guideline so suitable interviewees would know who they are. Otherwise, just use L&J's input and say "50 expats living in Chiangmai have 50 different opinions". Done, finished.

\

Where did he mention retirement?

That's a bit harsh mate.

If you don't wish to help, just ignore the post.

No need to be rude about it.

regards

Will

Thank you, Will. And yes, I am interviewing more than one person. I also have some personal experience, having lived for a few months in Chiang Mai back in 2006/2007, as well as spending 5 years in SEA. I am a serious traveler as well as a serious writer! So I'll have my own impressions, as well as, hopefully, the impressions of several others. Hope that clarifies things a bit. The article will be more geared towards "facts" - the ins and outs of visas, ease of living, such as obtaining bank accounts, language challenges, buying/renting, what parts are most desireable to live, things to see and do in and around the area, basic costs of living, and so on. However, I did want to have at least one bona fide interview with someone who is there and doing it and can offer their overall impressions.

The article will be geared towards people who are considering making Chiang Mai their permanent home - not necessarily retirees, although the publication does have that slant - as we all know, retirees don't necessarily have to be over 50, though with the immigration laws the way they are now, it is difficult for a non-working person under the age of 50 to "retire" in Thailand.

That's a bit harsh mate.

If you don't wish to help, just ignore the post.

No need to be rude about it.

regards

Will

Hi,

I'm happy to oblige..I have resided here for past 6 years and also work with Tourist Police here..email me //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Rodcourt, your email address was removed. Please PM me and I'll get back with you shortly. Thank you!

some one from the ciry or the surrounding country side? and are ladys welcome

Ladies are completely welcome, just as long as you're an expat! Prefer someone living in the city or at least quite involved with it, since the article will be specific to Chiang Mai.

"noise" DID make some good points even though L&J's post WAS a bit harsh. If you study any one of many previous threads on what is there to do in Chiang Mai you will get a good cross section of the city and what it has to offer. Also, by reading a lot of what the "regulars" post here you'll also get an understanding of the kind of people who choose to leave their native country and live in Thailand. That should make your article a little more balanced. You could interview a group of retired bar hounds down in Pattaya, or a bunch of old hippies up in Pie, and come up with entirely different viewpoints from someone living in Chiang Mai.

Hi,

(PLEASE SEND PM)