New Nice Restaurant ..le Petit Paris

annabel

You read this opening and (surely?) can't help but feel that what follows will be a string of damning negatives. Other than the comment that "the orange juice came from a carton" (oh, the horror :) ).......... there aren't any . . .

That is simply not true, Steve2UK. Oneman went on, in the middle of some of the 'non-negatives' you quoted, to make this point:

. . . But it is nothing special.

Nothing you can't get at about 50 other restaurants in Chiangmai at the same hour of the day.

Certainly nothing to merit the gushing review in the OP on this thread.

It may not be quite strong enough to qualify as a 'damning negative' of the kind you were expecting, but it is an important point, and was the core point that Oneman was writing to make, I think. I thought his review was quite fairly presented, and I appreciate his posting it.

Having said that, Oneman made what I think was a mistake in going to this restaurant for breakfast. If I were interested in a restaurant based on the reputation of its principal chef, I would certainly not go there in the morning, at least not unless I knew for certain that the chef was in the kitchen at that time. I would expect the principal chef of a restaurant to be responsible for its dinners and, perhaps, lunches, but not to be there first thing in the morning making breakfasts as well.

I appreciate Oneman's report on his experience, but this man has the final word on what he likes, and this man still intends to visit and check it out for himself one of these days. :D

In the meantime, he would still very much like to know, with the help of Annabel or anyone else, if what is served there as coq au vin really is.

Curious........ So the not-so-damning, let's call it critical issue is that there are 50 other places in Chiang Mai that are as good for quality/value? Hmmmm...... :D

Your point about going there for breakfast also occurred to me. None of the chef/owners I've known would regularly work the hours that entails........... nor do I think (any western) breakfast menu is that comparable with lunch or dinner. Either way, it strikes me as a poor basis on which to rate a place.

Speaking of rating, I don't "rate" posts like Annabel's OP as "reviews" - nor do I think she set out to write a "review" as such (yes, I know she used the term later after others had). They're basically personal comments and observations that - at most - alert me to a place that I might want to try or want to avoid.

Thanks Annabel! :D

PS........ A little bird :D tells me that the "coq" in the "vin" is not 'tough old [Thai] rooster' - and would be close to inedible if it were.

Edited by Steve2UK

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is on Ratwithi Road ....Up from St. Germain des Pres and before the Irish Pub

I've noticed a pleasant looking French restaurant past the UN Irish Pub and a little past the Chiang Mai Saloon number 2. Could that be it?

If this "Phillip" is p1p - of long ago Chiang Mai Visa fame - please someone, let the rest of us know!

Oops, sorry , yes it is past Irish Pub not before and is beside Chiang Mai Saloon...sorry about that ,,,!!

Whay is PIP...?? .....

And Dear Oneman:

I was foolish to follow advice of someone who couldn't even write one coherent sentence, let alone a thorough review

Maybe you didn't read properly....I clearly said I had NOT tried the breakfast there....!...?? So that was your choice to do so and you didn't like it that much ...what can I say other than I really don't care ...

I have a hunch, but it is very politically IN-correct, so I dare not post it here.

And your Hunch whatever it may be is Dead Wrong.... Read again....Never met the guy till I went there and so I have spoken to him 3 times over my only 3 visits there..... so go fish somewhere else to be a Shit Disturber ..No one forced you to go there and no one forced you to read the post ...and it's good you have done this :" I have just added "Annabel" to my "Ignore User List".

In future, I won't even see any more of his reviews." It'll save me the agony of your distasteful comments and for your ignorant knowledge I am not a He...!

It's sad to see that a simple post about something you enjoyed and just want to share gets distorted, twisted and torn apart by arrogant individuals up on their high horses who think they are God's Gift to Earth and the World and who literally dissecrate everything, even the most innocent trivial comment or error...

It is a deterrent to anybody with any good intentions whatsoever to put a post on TV...Very Sad!!

Man, how to ruin a happy day / moment... I know how...Put a post on TV ...That's how .....