Plant Import Permit, Phytosanitary Certificate

oodii

Is anybody experienced in: applying for import permit, get issued a phytosanitary certificate, import of non-prohibited life plants, procedure and duration of plant inspection at entry port, survival rate of imported plants?

The import of plants into Thailand is ruled by the Plant Quarantine Act (1952, amended 1999), see "Plant Quarantine Import Regulations Thailand".

Administrative body of the Act is

ฝ่ายกักกันพืช กองควบคุมพืชและวัสดุการเกษตร กรมวิชาการเกษตร โทร 660-2940-6573 ต่อ 108

Plant Quarantine Sub-Division, Agricultural Regulatory Division, Department of Agriculture 660-2940-6573 Ext 108

Plants are categorized in "prohibited", "restricted", and "unprohibited" materials.

I plan on importing (parcel post) a small number of certain species (life plants, bare-rooted) of the non-prohibited category, to which the following rules apply:

"Permission and a Phytosanitary Certificate are not required for importation. However, the imported unprohibited materials have to be notified for inspection at ports of entry. All materials are subjected to inspection and also put under quarantine treatment or destruction if plant quarantine pests and diseases are found."

Although import permission and phytosanitary certificate are not required for non-prohibited materials, it might be helpful (e.g. to speed up the process of inspection at port of entry) to have such documents.

I welcome any comment and advice from people who have experience in importing plants (prohibited, restricted or unprohibited).

I you are importing from the US, have the shipper get the Phytosanitary Certificate , will cost extra, but will make it trouble free for you.

From the US only bare root or cuttings can be shipped, make sure they survive the long trip !

I have never shipped anything because of the long transit period. Had people bring stuff for me; showed the Phytosanitary Certificate at the quarantine office in Suwanapoom and was on my way !

Edited by soidog2