British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget about KP faking the video and sort, these couples seems guilty on my opinion; i also have cctv in my shop where some shots/angle on the cameras making me look younger and more handsome :) anyway, big companies like KP do not make these things up unless you are a celebrity (i suppose). all i can say is that they did it and some police wants to make money out of it, like typical traffic police in thailand (sorry, BIB).

Look at the video closely, this is not the same couple, the guy is a stand in and the woman is the actor. Neither ever look up or around to see if they are being watched, surely they can see the camera looking straight at them. The woman looks younger, walks like someone in her 20's not like a person in their 40's, the hair is longer and is being used to cover her face and the body is slimmer, the breasts appear smaller than Xi's are. Remember, she never looks around and neither does he, if he was meant to be the lookout, then he just isn't doing the job. Also, can anyone see them communicating, like him saying "go ahead, nobodies watching"? England is a land full of cctv's so if the Ingrams had stolen the bag I would have expected them to look up as well as around.

Acting is like prostitution, the people involved get paid for doing it, some are good and some are not very good like the stand in for Mr.Ingram.

Thanks for your comment, Newbie.

Welcome to ThaiVisa, if you have not been here already.

They were perpetrating a similar scam on tourists bringing in excess tobacco from the Middle East recently. Anyone caught bringing in over the allowed amount was taken away and extorted in a similar fashion to the Ingrams.

It wasn't Customs doing their jobs either, it was just a bunch of people claiming to be officials searching travellers bags in the arrivals area and at the taxi ranks.

It seems they have switched tact and are now targeting Duty Free shoppers.

Extortion, pure and simple.

Look at the video closely, this is not the same couple, the guy is a stand in and the woman is the actor. Neither ever look up or around to see if they are being watched, surely they can see the camera looking straight at them. The woman looks younger, walks like someone in her 20's not like a person in their 40's, the hair is longer and is being used to cover her face and the body is slimmer, the breasts appear smaller than Xi's are. Remember, she never looks around and neither does he, if he was meant to be the lookout, then he just isn't doing the job. Also, can anyone see them communicating, like him saying "go ahead, nobodies watching"? England is a land full of cctv's so if the Ingrams had stolen the bag I would have expected them to look up as well as around.

Is that right?

Where does all your very pertinent inside information come from?

Have you been lucky to have been privy to seeing Ms Xi's breasts? The single photo (besides the video) that I have seen of her (in the OP) does not show her breasts, nor the length of her hair.

Please tell us more - particularly a link to her photo(s).

The biggest source of money for Thailand is tourism.

Ahem, beg your pardon, tourism accounts for a mere 6-7% of GDP in Thailand...

This is complete bs and is always bandied about mistakenly. That figure does not account for all the unreported income which is the majority of tourist income, not just the official tourist places reporting their income.

They were perpetrating a similar scam on tourists bringing in excess tobacco from the Middle East recently. Anyone caught bringing in over the allowed amount was taken away and extorted in a similar fashion to the Ingrams.

It wasn't Customs doing their jobs either, it was just a bunch of people claiming to be officials searching travellers bags in the arrivals area and at the taxi ranks.

It seems they have switched tact and are now targeting Duty Free shoppers.

Extortion, pure and simple.

Rubbish!

This hoary old chestnut was gone through at length on TV more than a year ago, and clearly shown to be codswallop.

Those caught with excess fags were being fined the prescribed amount - hardly extortion.

But you are right on one point - it wasn't Customs Officers doing their jobs.

It was Excise Officers doing their jobs. :)

If that's true, what would happen if Phuket,Krabi, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc etc all ran empty on foreigner tourist?

1. have the Brit couple responded anywhere to this video?

Due to the volume of posts on this thread, it is not surprising that you missed the answer to your question, as clearly have others.

My post No. 442 contained the following:

Stephen Ingram denies that the video clip implicates him and is suing for 1 million Thai baht for wrongful arrest and imprisonment. The video appears to show Xi Lin putting he wallet in her shoulder bag while Stephen Ingram looks on.

He says he has no evidence that King Power is in on the scam but was told that part of his money had already been paid to security staff at King Power.

This post also contained:

Said Stephen Ingram: "The scam does not happen until you get to the police station. We had to pay, and for that we got letters from the prosecutor's office and police saying there was no evidence against us. The only other choice was a year in jail. But we were innocent anyway", he told the Irish Mail on Sunday.

He said that the principal dealer, a Sri Lankan police volunteer/ translator, Sunil Rathnayaka had tried to scam him right up to the last minute. We had already paid out the equivalent of £8000 then as we were leaving he asked for another £1000. We just did not have it.

"He boasted that he had dealt with 160 other cases. He had three houses. He claimed he did it to help people. He did not need the money."

And...

Rathnayaka, who receives the money at an account of Siam Commercial Bank at Big C in Rajdamri Bangkok, had approached Dr. Norris, but disappeared when the scandal broke. "Don't get a lawyer. I am the only person who can help." he had said.

The British Embassy says that some 25 of its citizens have been arrested over the last two and a half years. They are liaising with other Embassies to build a fuller picture of what is going on.

25 Brits have been involved, yet, as many have noted, most of the scams involve Asians, or Asian/European couples.

I wonder how many millions/billions of Baht in F.C. have been extorted over the past 2 years? :D

But.... it's all due process of law....and we should all shut up and let these criminals get their just deserts in a Thai prison. :)

Edited by Mobi

My post No. 442 contained the following:
Stephen Ingram denies that the video clip implicates him and is suing for 1 million Thai baht for wrongful arrest and imprisonment. The video appears to show Xi Lin putting he wallet in her shoulder bag while Stephen Ingram looks on.

He says he has no evidence that King Power is in on the scam but was told that part of his money had already been paid to security staff at King Power.

Hopefully Mr Drummond can fit another piece into the puzzle ie who is Mr Ingram suing, and in what jurisdiction?

And why for only 20,000 pounds :)

Is that right?

Have you been lucky to have been privy to seeing Ms Xi's breasts? The single photo (besides the video) that I have seen of her (in the OP) does not show her breasts, nor the length of her hair.

You seem like a very ignorant fellow, who only seems to believe that you are right and the world is wrong, therefore I just can't be bothered trying to explain any more to the likes of you. You were given eyes, use them, you were given a brain use it.

Is that right?

You seem like a very ignorant fellow...........

:):D :D

This is complete bs and is always bandied about mistakenly. That figure does not account for all the unreported income which is the majority of tourist income, not just the official tourist places reporting their income.

Tourism is the biggest single source of money for Thailand, particularly if you figure resident farang as well as pure tourists. I agree with TLM that much, if not most of farang money being circulated in Thailand is off the books. Just dowries and payments to girlfriend's/wives families amounts to tens of billions of baht annually - that's not on gov't ledgers. ....and essentially all farang money spent in Thailand comes in from outside. It's far and away the biggest cash cow for Thailand, but you wouldn't know by the way Thai officialdom treats the average farang - particularly the inconsistent and unreasonable rules we're required to abide by.

As for the video being authentic, it appears Mr. Ingram himself indicates it is, albeit indirectly. Apparently he saw it, and he didn't say it wasn't him and his wife. That being said, the whole set-up (with forced and immediate payment, etc.) still stinks, and I wouldn't be surprised if higher ups at King Power are in on it.

[

Tourism is the biggest single source of money for Thailand, particularly if you figure resident farang as well as pure tourists. I agree with TLM that much, if not most of farang money being circulated in Thailand is off the books. Just dowries and payments to girlfriend's/wives families amounts to tens of billions of baht annually - that's not on gov't ledgers. ....and essentially all farang money spent in Thailand comes in from outside. It's far and away the biggest cash cow for Thailand, but you wouldn't know by the way Thai officialdom treats the average farang - particularly the inconsistent and unreasonable rules we're required to abide by.

I don't disagree with you, but even at 6-7% of GDP, any drop will have a significant effect on many Thais.

Economy Watch:

Bangkok, 15 Apr. Tourism makes up 6.7% of Thailand’s economy and 7% of its work force. The recent political violence and unrest is scaring off tourists, putting two million jobs at risk, and exacerbating an already-dark economic future.

So,7% of the work force are engaged in the tourist sector. Presumably this is just the 'legal" workers.

And for every worker gainfully employed in the tourist industry, how many more are "illegally" employed as bar girls, masseurs and the like, and how many more people back in the villages are totally dependent on the one working family member for their daily food?

However, I do believe that historically, the tourist industry has been extremely resilient, (as I have observed it over the years), and for every tourist that has decided not to come back, there has been probably been another 2 prepared to take his/her place.

But there may well come a time when such is the sheer weight of bad press and word of mouth,(when the stories, anecdotes and Chinese whispers reach their critical mass, so to speak), will have the effect of changing tourism in Thailand from being one of the "in" holiday destinations, into one of the "don't touch with a barge pole" destinations.

I hear that the off season in Pattaya is down to 20% of what it was this time last year, so even the sex tourists are staying away. :)

The Sri Lankan man, if he works for the Sri Lankan embassy, may not need a work permit. Nationals of a country working for the Embassy of their own country, are covered under different laws. There are bilateral agreements between countries that cover these matters. Most embassy staff (non-diplomatic) are given a non-immigrant visa, but no work permit.

The article does say that he is employed by the Sri Lankan embassy as an interpretter. The SL embassy in Bangkok is a small affair, and I doubt it employs full-time interpreters. Also, if it did employ this guy and was on an embassy sponsored visa etc, he wouldn't be allowed to do any free-lancing (unless, of course, the whole freelancing part was not legit to start with). He probably is trying to hide behind the embassy now that the cat is out. I'd check this guy's status with the embassy if I get a chance.

I found out today that this Rathnayake doesn't have any connection with the SL embassy, let alone being employed by it. As I presumed, he's trying to hide behind the embassy. Also, the embassy hasn't received any official inquiries on the matter.

Is that right?

You seem like a very ignorant fellow, who only seems to believe that you are right and the world is wrong, therefore I just can't be bothered trying to explain any more to the likes of you. You were given eyes, use them, you were given a brain use it.

What name did you use before "Hawk"? :)

I wonder why all posters are focusing on whether the couple is guilty in this case. Even if they are, due legal process was not respected, and it's still a scam and instance of gross corruption. Is it somehow OK to kidnap and extort a thief, instead of delivering the legal punishment -- be it prison or proper fine. Somehow, I doubt scammers are picky as to who they frame.

The couple had *not* been granted bail by the court and then left/forfeited it. They have a paper stating that there are *no charges* filed against them. Thai police and legal system claim they *did not steal*, no matter what the low-res King Power video implies. Yet their money ended up in various private pockets, most of it probably with Thai police.

Is there any reason to buy from a King Power shop at the airport at all? Wouldn't in-town retailers offer better deals, so long as VAT is claimed back on departure?

No/Yes.

ditto/ditto.

The main reason might be if you just forgot to get as present when arriving,

and need to grabs a gift for the people that pick you up.

The Sri Lankan man, if he works for the Sri Lankan embassy, may not need a work permit. Nationals of a country working for the Embassy of their own country, are covered under different laws. There are bilateral agreements between countries that cover these matters. Most embassy staff (non-diplomatic) are given a non-immigrant visa, but no work permit.

The article does say that he is employed by the Sri Lankan embassy as an interpretter. The SL embassy in Bangkok is a small affair, and I doubt it employs full-time interpreters. Also, if it did employ this guy and was on an embassy sponsored visa etc, he wouldn't be allowed to do any free-lancing (unless, of course, the whole freelancing part was not legit to start with). He probably is trying to hide behind the embassy now that the cat is out. I'd check this guy's status with the embassy if I get a chance.

I found out today that this Rathnayake doesn't have any connection with the SL embassy, let alone being employed by it. As I presumed, he's trying to hide behind the embassy. Also, the embassy hasn't received any official inquiries on the matter.

That's right, Mr.Sunil or whatever his name is, has no connection with any embassy in this world, he is a freelance scam artist who managed to worm his way into the offices of the tourist police. He is their front man, he gets the money and passes it on, therefore when the s*** hits the fan, he is the one that gets jailed as the paper trail ends with him. I'm sure he knows his days of fun in the sun are just about over, and is probably making a hasty exit to the Cambodian or Malay border.

I wonder why all posters are focusing on whether the couple is guilty in this case. Even if they are, due legal process was not respected, and it's still a scam and instance of gross corruption. Is it somehow OK to kidnap and extort a thief, instead of delivering the legal punishment -- be it prison or proper fine. Somehow, I doubt scammers are picky as to who they frame.

The couple had *not* been granted bail by the court and then left/forfeited it. They have a paper stating that there are *no charges* filed against them. Thai police and legal system claim they *did not steal*, no matter what the low-res King Power video implies. Yet their money ended up in various private pockets, most of it probably with Thai police.

Your post is spot on and happens to highlight a peculiarity of the Thai and their curious take on morality.

Essentially, if you transgress then you have brought whatever befalls you upon your own shoulders and you must endure the consequences. That the penalty becomes judicial censure or extrajudicial opportunism is frankly of little consequence in the scheme of things since in either case it must be paid to restore the karmic balance whilst saving as much face as humanly possible. Most given the opportunity would elect to avoid ' official ' sanction hence the culture of bribery. Extortion is the bastard son of this phenomenon but, again, if you don't act imprudently then your own karmic credit bank balance should protect you. If it doesn't, then perhaps you haven't been down to the temple enough. That the price to extricate oneself borders upon the absurd, as evidenced by these scams, doesn't alter the perception that it is just your own bad luck and probably simply reflects your own conduct.

Some farang here, the hang 'em high brigade, find it convenient to express the ' som num na ' sentiment that seeks to justify the uncharitable view the shoplifting farang morally deserve to be scammed to the hilt but I have long regarded such exponents to be generally hypocrites and in all likelihood a little bit stupid.

Edited by Electra

Your post is spot on and happens to highlight a peculiarity of the Thai and their curious take on morality.

the point really is about whether this couple are guilty of shoplifting - if they are not guilty , then they have been scammed.

if they are guilty , and instead of following the process of Thai law they have attempted to circumvent the system and pay their way out and paid well over what a Thai would have paid to get off a charge such as this - why should our sympathy lie with them ?

Do you think the Thai tourist authority should issue tourists with the correct procedure for buying your way out of trouble ?

I rather think you have missed the point of the scam which is to coerce the victim into participating because not to do so would mean up to a year at least in Thailand negotiating what passes for a judicial system. That's why the scammers operate at the airport....so near but yet so far.

Or alternatively, the point is that which so evidently sailed over your head, Stumonster.

I rather think you have missed the point of the scam which is to coerce the victim into participating because not to do so would mean up to a year at least in Thailand negotiating what passes for a judicial system. That's why the scammers operate at the airport....so near but yet so far.

Or alternatively, the point is that which so evidently sailed over your head, Stumonster.

maybe the point has sailed right over my head as you have so eloquently put it.

maybe a slow and inefficient court process should not be in place - but having sympathy for people , who if they are guilty , paying money so they can bypass it to me is missing the point.

you look at the different attitude of the masses when some one is caught with drugs - breaking the law in thailand - what would be their position if they had read a story about paying massive bribes to get home ?

they broke the law - if they are guilty - in Thailand . Legal process anywhere in the world is not designed to ensure no one misses their flight.

To me a scam must involve a certain amount of co-operation by the victim. The gem scam plays on the greed of the victim. Same for the chemical to clean black money and the nigerian bank scam. In each of these incidents the victim is led to believe the will make a profit and are deceived. What is happening at the airport is extortion, a beast of a different color. These people are being terrorized, held against their will, and forced to pay for thier freedom. This is a far more serious offense. In a scam all your lose is your money. In extortion you can lose your freedom.

P

In Singapore, if you are caught, you are caught. You cannot buy your way out, like these Brits, no matter how much you pay.

In another discussion, I am disapointed to hear that most of the Thai people think that corruption is OK in Thailand. IMHO this is the root of the problem.

In Singapore, if you are caught, you are caught. You cannot buy your way out, like these Brits, no matter how much you pay.

In another discussion, I am disapointed to hear that most of the Thai people think that corruption is OK in Thailand. IMHO this is the root of the problem.

Yes and in Singapore the police don't trump up charges to extort money from people, whole other universe.