Tourists Injured In Pattaya Muggings

george

Tourists injured in muggings

Police catch one of the offenders

PATTAYA: -- Three foreign tourists received multiple injuries when three men on a motorcycle used a lump of wood to beat them in order to steal from them.

Shortly after 2.30 a.m. on February 10, Pattaya police received report from Pauli Ilmari Kuikka, 60, from Finland that three men attacked him as he was walking back to the Mountain Beach Hotel. The thieves made off with a watch and 1,200 baht in cash. Kuikka was bruised and blood streamed from a wound to his head. Police took him to the hospital for treatment and radioed a patrol to search the area.

Officers went to the area where the Finnish tourist was attacked to find the same three men attacking an Austrian couple. At the sight of police the trio fled the area and headed for Soi Korpai in South Pattaya. Officers gave chase and followed the thugs to bush land along the soi. The criminals ditched their bike and headed into the darkness. The area was sealed off with police who eventually caught one of the men.

The two Austrian tourists were taken to the hospital for treatment, Sodamin Yernard, 64, was admitted to ICU with bleeding on the brain while his wife Valtrek Yernard, 60, was treated for a broken finger and wrist.

One of the attackers, identified as Kraisorn Narmsonga, 20, still had the couple’s valuables with him.

Kraisorn confessed to police that he and his two friends, Parn and Toey, had robbed tourists using the same method on four previous occasions. The man went on to say that he and his friends lived in Naklua behind the plastics factory where they worked during the day.

Kraisorn was charged with assault causing grievous bodily harm, use of a weapon and theft.

--Pattaya Mail

Does anyone know where the Mountain Beach Hotel is? I presume with a name like that it is on the Hill between Jomtien and Pattaya. If it is its pretty poor showing by the police - that area only has two roads into it and a 24 hr police box is where both the roads meet. Add to this the fact that one of the Royal Family has her palace there, does not exactly lend much confidence to the ability of the police to control who goes up and down these roads.

Does anyone know where the Mountain Beach Hotel is?  I presume with a name like that it is on the Hill between Jomtien and Pattaya.  If it is its pretty poor showing by the police - that area only has two roads into it and a 24 hr police box is where both the roads meet.  Add to this the fact that one of the Royal Family has her palace there, does not exactly lend much confidence to the ability of the police to control who goes up and down these roads.

Yes you are right it is in moo 12 which leads down from the police box.

just goes to show that thais are willing to kill farangs for a couple of thousand baht, will you be next???

For anyone who is not that familiar with the muggings and killings which have escalated in Pattaya over the last few years please do not go out wearing gold chains especially at night and do not walk in isolated areas even during the daytime. Always be aware of motor cycles as it seems that most of the perpetrators commit these crimes with the use of motor cycles.

Many of these criminals are youths...so don`t be fooled by their angelic faces.

Do not carry more cash than you need and never carry your wallet in your back pocket.....all common sense. :o

good advice fox

i have lost count of the number of friends, thai and farang, who have been kicked off there motor bike and had their gold necklaces snatched, most have had to be treated as outpatients for a couple of weeks for the wounds they sustained, one guy for over a month, dont wear gold here.....

Police catch one of the offenders :o

PATTAYA: -- Three foreign tourists received multiple injuries when three men on a motorcycle used a lump of wood to beat them in order to steal from them.

I'm surprised police catch at least one, since normally they are not very interested in getting disturbed at any time, and yes :

don't walk (drive bike) alone in remote areas, don't wear any gold or valuables, not even in day time like in markets, be careful not to leave your drink alone and finish it later...

unfortunately, pattaya has deteriorated a lot within the last two years regarding safety! :D

just goes to show that thais are willing to kill farangs for a couple of thousand baht, will you be next???

a few thousand ? 500 bahts is the record .

when the monk killed the english girl joe mashadar at the temple he did it for 500 bahts.

he was showing her the temple , pushed her into a ravine then burned her body.

and all for 500

Unemployed men arrested after attacking English couple

Supote Porhommila, 25, and Surasak Khumyuang, 22, were arrested as the pair tried to flee the crime scene after a snatch and run incident. The pair confessed to officers that they had resorted to theft in order to use the money for day-to-day expenses.

The victims, an English couple, William and Karen Monk, both in their 60s lost 10,500 baht, 150 pounds sterling and a watch in the theft, which happened along the beach in North Pattaya. The items were returned as police had caught the thieves with the stolen property still in their possession. Both men were charged with theft and locked up pending a court appearance.

Teen accused of robbing tourist denies allegations

Wanchai Panpar was arrested on February 9 for his alleged involvement in the robbery of a foreign tourist. Officers detained the youth in front of the Thepprasit markets after receiving a call from Kelar Lineman from Denmark.

The tourist told police that two men on a motorcycle had snatched the 5 baht-weight gold chain from his neck before they sped off. The crime occurred in front of the Bangkok Bank on Pattaya Second Road and Lineman said that one of the thieves was at the markets.

Police officers moved in and detained Wanchai, who denied the allegations. Wanchai did not have the chain on him. Police, however, did not believe Wanchai’s story and held him for further interrogation in order to bring the case to a close one way or another.

• 2 years later...

Shortly after 2.30 a.m. on February 10, Pattaya police received report from Pauli Ilmari Kuikka, 60, from Finland that three men attacked him as he was walking back to the Mountain Beach Hotel. The thieves made off with a watch and 1,200 baht in cash. Kuikka was bruised and blood streamed from a wound to his head. Police took him to the hospital for treatment and radioed a patrol to search the area.

Officers went to the area where the Finnish tourist was attacked to find the same three men attacking an Austrian couple. At the sight of police the trio fled the area and headed for Soi Korpai in South Pattaya. Officers gave chase and followed the thugs to bush land along the soi. The criminals ditched their bike and headed into the darkness. The area was sealed off with police who eventually caught one of the men.

- - -

--Pattaya Mail

--------------------------------------------------

This is my 'case'.

I was for two weeks holiday in Pattaya two years ago.

And I have visited Thailand now already ten times.

As in that news was told, I was walking back to my hotel

at second night, because I like walking in a cool weather.

Never this kind have ever happened to me there or any other places.

I was nothing valuable wearing, all things were in pockets,

only straight trousers and short-sleeved shirt.

Three men riding in moto stopped asking something like 'cosy',

I thought they ment a hotel nearby, so I only showed that direction,

when suddenly I was hit with hands and that wooden stick.

Then I remember laying on the road and they were taking things

away from my pockets, even handkerchief.

And they left me, so I got up and could walk to my hotel.

And I stayed for 3 days in a hospital.

I have planed to visit again in Pattaya, but have had no time yet.

Some day I will go there of course!

I guess this will be a vacation that the tourist will always remember.

Shame on the kids.

You make it sound as if they are children,,,,,,"shame on them" they should be sent to prison for a very long time for assult with intent to kill and theft look at the age of the tourist................shoot the bas a ds

- - -

--Pattaya Mail

That must have been horrid

I used to hate Pattaya but the last 3 years started to go there.

I wear a Rolex and a 5 baht chain and have never been even approached - maybe my ex-wife was good for something!

--------------------------------------------------

This is my 'case'.

I was for two weeks holiday in Pattaya two years ago.

And I have visited Thailand now already ten times.

As in that news was told, I was walking back to my hotel

at second night, because I like walking in a cool weather.

Never this kind have ever happened to me there or any other places.

I was nothing valuable wearing, all things were in pockets,

only straight trousers and short-sleeved shirt.

Three men riding in moto stopped asking something like 'cosy',

I thought they ment a hotel nearby, so I only showed that direction,

when suddenly I was hit with hands and that wooden stick.

Then I remember laying on the road and they were taking things

away from my pockets, even handkerchief.

And they left me, so I got up and could walk to my hotel.

And I stayed for 3 days in a hospital.

I have planed to visit again in Pattaya, but have had no time yet.

Some day I will go there of course!

When these muggers are caught they should have to serve a jail sentence if found guilty and it would be nice if the sentance was published, as usually after the details of the crime, the punishment goes unreported.

I suspect often that they don't get found gulity or they are let off, bailed or buy-off the Police. The murderer of the 2 Russian ladies was out on bail.

I feel that Pattaya attracts criminals (no 5hit Sherlock!) and Police and Courts do NOT do enough to get them off the street.

GET THEM OFF THE STREET, <deleted>.

Long Jail terms give good deterents and GET THEM OFF THE STREET.

Foreigners do not like being beaten up or robbed, spending holidays/retirement in Hospital or murdered!

Edited by twix38

Wheres everyones common sence, a 60 year old guy walking round at 2.30am on a dimley lit road.

Same thing wearing gold, I remember an American friend that used to live over here, I warned him about wearing gold and he replied, you worry too much Ive been wearing it for years and never had a problem, I replied never had a problem (yet) sure enougth one evening around 9pm he was mugged on the road to wongamat beach, same thing hit across the side of his face with an iron bar, lost his gold and almost lost his ear.

It always happens to someone els till it happens to you.

When these muggers are caught they should have to serve a jail sentence if found guilty and it would be nice if the sentance was published, as usually after the details of the crime, the punishment goes unreported.

I suspect often that they don't get found gulity or they are let off, bailed or buy-off the Police. The murderer of the 2 Russian ladies was out on bail.

I feel that Pattaya attracts criminals (no 5hit Sherlock!) and Police and Courts do NOT do enough to get them off the street.

GET THEM OFF THE STREET, <deleted>.

Long Jail terms give good deterents and GET THEM OFF THE STREET.

Foreigners do not like being beaten up or robbed, spending holidays/retirement in Hospital or murdered!

I agree that the press should follow-up with the case after it has been dealt with in court. So that the public is aware that justice has been dealt with. So it is either justice not done, or simply not reported in the press. I hope it is the latter.

No joke! The murderer of the 2 russian ladies are out on bail on a murder rap? I have been following the news, but nothing to indicate that the murderer is out on bail. If this is true, then it is simply unbelievable. :o

No joke! The murderer of the 2 russian ladies are out on bail on a murder rap? I have been following the news, but nothing to indicate that the murderer is out on bail. If this is true, then it is simply unbelievable. :o

I don't believe the man arrested for the murders is currently out on bail, he WAS on bail for earlier robberies at the time he carried out the killings.

gmac

The murderer of the 2 Russian ladies was out on bail.

The above meant he was out on bail (from a previous aggrivated mugging) when he murdered the 2 Russians - not that he is out on bail now.

Seems reasonably clear to me. The word "was" in context of talking about the time he killed the Russians. Anyway, sorry for any doubt

Just another nail in the coffin of Pattaya.

The disturbing thing is incidents like these are no big deal anymore as they happen on a daily basis.

As for the police not catching and dealing with these criminals, they haven't got the time. Too busy harassing tourists about not having their passports with them and shaking down Bar owners for playing copy CD's.

What the h*ll are 60+ year old tourists doing out at 2:30 in the morning? :o

And what kind of name is Sodamin??? :D

Sounds much like the UK judge that blamed the rape victim for wearing a mini skirt; next we might hear somebody calling it entrapment, or well deserved.

Sure, common sense or the victim's lack of played a part, though it could equally be argued that predators tend to look for victims anyway, and if wasn't them it would be someone else.

the charge should have been attempted murder, when are the police going to start sending the right message to these phuckers, this is getting well out of hand, for those that still think pattaya is a lovely holiday beach resort..................take the blinkers off, pinch yourself, waken up

What the h*ll are 60+ year old tourists doing out at 2:30 in the morning? :o

Why, is their a law that says that 60+ year tourists found outside of their hotels after 11 pm are being ok for being robbed?

As for follow up, we see plenty of these reports now in the Pattaya forum, but we don't hear any news from the courtcases.

The courts must be busy every day and it may be a little reasuring to hear the outcome of cases there.

How about the case of the tourguide who assaulted a teenage girl in a minibus in Jontiem, big outrage at the time, but what happened to the guy?

What the h*ll are 60+ year old tourists doing out at 2:30 in the morning? :D

Why not? Sounds like the girl wearing a short skirt was asking to be raped mentality.

They forgot the other 'd', it should have read Sodadmin. :o

Edited by Acquiesce

I have lived in Pattaya for 5 years.I used to often walk along the beach at night opposite royal garden. When I first walked I noticed there were never any layabout thai young men there,It was always girls .Even the ladyboys worked further down.Now there are many young scruffy looking thai men hanging around. They soon learn, as do all idle layabouts, that the tourists are easy prey as most are drunk after midnight and many wear expensive jewellery and carry large sums of cash.The police used to keeep this area a safe place .Sadly it appears that tourists/farangs do not matter.

I remember reading once that teenage youths caught stealing were too young to appear in court.Perhaps someone can give me the correct information.

As for the gunman on bail for an earlier armed robbery... It therefore seems likely that a teen would also be bailed for a mere theft?

I would also like to know what is the usual sentence for stealing from a farang.

As drugs are now playing such a big part in crime It is high time that the police devoted more time/manpower to catching the dealers.

On another note I had a thai man crash his motorcycle into my car. He drove off and I could not take his number as he had conveniently placed his tax disc to partially obscure the number.. There are many such motorcycles. I reported this to the police. The officer's response was 'Well you have insurance don't you'?

Unlicenced motorbikes make it easy for criminals to escape.