Basis For Police Requesting Further 12 Days Detention

Remix4

You said it - they attempted to scare you, and you didn't buy it - well done.

As for the extra 12 days in custody - well, the fact you are released answers that question for you, but all that aside - didn;t you guys have a lease contract with the owner of the house, and didn't that contract stae what furnsihings were/were not included in the lease?

If there is no lease, then quite frankly, I would think the landlord hasn't got a chance in hel_l of prosecuting you.

Rental disagreements are civil matters - not criminal and you shouldn;t be kept in jail for civil matters. The theft allegation changes things - now it becomes criminal, and for that the police do get involved, and you can be kept in jail.

As for informing the embassy - means nothing: whats the embassy going to do? - its got nothing to do with them, they couldn't give a dam_n.

Wheres this matter going ultimately? - no where - sit it out - nothing will come of it.

Anyway - just what are you now been charged with?

Have you had to submitt your passport?

One other question ... you say you guys spent Baht 500 000 doing renovation, and got 2 months rent free .....

?? - this doesn't add up - explain (or have I misread).

Wheres the rental agreement - what does it say - or do we add "no rental agreement" to the willingness to spend 500k of your own money on someone elses' house?

All very odd ......

Thank you for your positive note. This is exactly how we feel and were not prepared to give in to their increasingly frantic attempts to demand money.

Yes we had a contract with the landlord for 3 years but the contract states nothing regarding furniture. There was no inventory list of items in the house since we specifically wanted unfurnished.

We have been charged with theft of 5 items of furniture. Yes our passports were surrendered to the courts.

We spent the 500,000 BHT initially to handle some renovations of the house and the landlord did not charge rent for the initial 2 months to "help" with this cost. One of the reasons that we were prepared to spend this is that we got a property, which was relatively cheap considering its size and offered very good space for our business in an area which suited us.

Its all sour grapes by the sounds of it.

Sit it out - in the absence of an inventory attached to the contract I'd be suprized if the judge gave the matter a 2nd glance. I know its a hassle and inconveniant, but sit it out - confident you'll come out on top (I like it when the cops take sides in the hope of earning something, only to tie themselves up in paperwork and procedures and then get nothing out of it - serve the f'kkers right for taking sides).

Is their a bail date set, have you received any corrospondance of the cops asking you to attend an interview, has a trial date been set - who is actually charging you - is it the cops or the house owner?

In short - where do things stand now and what are you expecting to happen next?

Best of luck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, if you played your cards right, I would think you could reasonably demand money for their harassment of you (or else be subject to defamation, false arrest and other charges). But you should certainly have a lawyer in on any further contact with this bizarrely dysfunctional family.

Just what i was thinking : the best defense is to attack (but be sure :) )

This is what we were told by several people. The fact that they appeared to be more desperate the further we went through the system and towards the end they shifted to a "friendly" approach with my parents does suggest that they have some concerns regarding what would happen if their statement is proved to be false.

The lawyer stated that the fathers status can also work against him (although I do appreciate that there are definite dangers also).

They have since attempted to contact my father and he refused to discuss and told them to speak to my lawyer.

In this case, if you played your cards right, I would think you could reasonably demand money for their harassment of you (or else be subject to defamation, false arrest and other charges). But you should certainly have a lawyer in on any further contact with this bizarrely dysfunctional family.

This is what we were told by several people. The fact that they appeared to be more desperate the further we went through the system and towards the end they shifted to a "friendly" approach with my parents does suggest that they have some concerns regarding what would happen if their statement is proved to be false.

The lawyer stated that the fathers status can also work against him (although I do appreciate that there are definite dangers also).

They have since attempted to contact my father and he refused to discuss and told them to speak to my lawyer.

And what did your lawyer said about that ?

Its all sour grapes by the sounds of it.

Sit it out - in the absence of an inventory attached to the contract I'd be suprized if the judge gave the matter a 2nd glance. I know its a hassle and inconveniant, but sit it out - confident you'll come out on top (I like it when the cops take sides in the hope of earning something, only to tie themselves up in paperwork and procedures and then get nothing out of it - serve the f'kkers right for taking sides).

Is their a bail date set, have you received any corrospondance of the cops asking you to attend an interview, has a trial date been set - who is actually charging you - is it the cops or the house owner?

In short - where do things stand now and what are you expecting to happen next?

Best of luck

Thanks. Yes that's exactly what it seems to be and it isnt even coming from the father but more the son and it definitely appears that they dont agree. The original complaint is from the father though.

the next date has been set for the 8th July in court, where I understand that the court will review the evidence so far. Not exactly sure of the process - will meet again with my lawyer tomorrow evening.

I'm also not quite sure whether the father withdrawing the complaint would automatically stop the trial?

And what did your lawyer said about that ?

Funnily enough they didnt call my lawyer!

If you paid the contractors that did the renovations....well, there's one piece of evidence you have.

Out of interest...what is the supposed value of the alleged missing furniture?

Do you have a rent book showing what and when you paid.

In the face of meagre evidence on both side, whose story holds more water.... it sounds like yours does. Hang in there.

At worst...I'd be happy to send you a cake with a file in it.

No, i mean what your lawer said about demanding money for their harassment of you (or else be subject to defamation, false arrest and other charges).

It was the lawyer who told us that once this is resolved we hit them back.

No, i mean what your lawer said about demanding money for their harassment of you (or else be subject to defamation, false arrest and other charges).

Cannot hit them back now to scare them ?

They shifted to a "friendly" approach with your parents now, so meaby they know that they are wrong.

It will stop them or force them to make a friendly proposal to close the case before the 8th July.

If you paid the contractors that did the renovations....well, there's one piece of evidence you have.

Out of interest...what is the supposed value of the alleged missing furniture?

Do you have a rent book showing what and when you paid.

In the face of meagre evidence on both side, whose story holds more water.... it sounds like yours does. Hang in there.

At worst...I'd be happy to send you a cake with a file in it.

Yes we have the invoice from the contractor.

Im not sure about the value of the missing furniture since during the meeting prior to the arrest the wife admitted that the items were not in the house and therefore they were not discussed. The police gave no indication of value - although the statement claims a leather sofa and a teak coffee table (of course ... top of the range!!!)

We have receipts of all deposits for rent paid into their account - since we paid by depositing cash directly into their bank. This was one issue raised during our meeting where they insist that 2 months rent was not paid - December and January and yet we have a receipt for December showing that 50,000 was deposited into their account.

Cannot hit them back now to scare them ?

They shifted to a "friendly" approach with your parents now, so meaby they know that they are wrong.

It will stop them or force them to make a friendly proposal to close the case before the 8th July.

definitely an option although Im not sure what can be done whilst the case is pending?

By 8th July the compliant will have to have his case (and evidence) in hand and ready to submitt. Disclosure will then have to take place (i.e. you will be entitled to see all the evidence against you). Till then there ain't much you can do.

Things like rent dispute and/or damage to premises are non-issue - they are civil matters and will play no role in the theft proceedings.

The ball is then thrown into your court - you be told how much time you have to prepare a defence - then, and only then, will the judge decide how to proceed. Your lawyer will appraise you of all this when you see him.

Don't be suprized if the whole matter falls apart on the 8th, or an attempt is made to settle out of court.

Be practical about it - not withstanding what you feel about been accused of theft, the issue a lot of ex-pats have with defence lawyers in Thailand tends to be about assurances that they can sort the issue out, but it will cost x amount.

There was a case on the forum not long back regards an ex-pat caught wit a small amount of weed. The lawyer assured him all could be sorted out for something like Baht 40 000 (if I remember correctly). The reality of the matter (not withstanding some of the horror scenarios that were portrayed to the poor OP on the forum), was that if found guilty (as a first offence) not much was likely to happen in any case - and if I blow my own trumpet, it is exactly what I told the OP (i.e. not much would happen - he had nothing to worry about) The final outcome: a Baht 10k fine - and he probably would still have got that no matter what the lawyer was paid. If I recall correctly he sat tight and didn't take the lawyer up on his offer.

In short: don't throw good money at bad - theres no shortage of folk (cops and lawyers) around who will offer ex-pats some or other solution, that at best, isn't much different from what is likely to happen in any case. Anything to keep the case out of court - why? Because, unless its a real serious issue (drug smuggling, bank robbery, murder ect etc ......) because once it gets to court the oppurtunity to profiteer is gone.

I'm no legal expert, but in the absence of any furnishings laid out in the rental agreement, I'd be suprized if the complianant had much of a case - and I would think the lawyer would feel likewise (versus giving you a horror story outcome to justify large legal fees).

As for options to counter, or sue - hear the lawyer out, he's best placed to advise on that.

Good luck and keep the forum posted on how things progress.

Ok as you know most TV members are nosey

bast*rds...so what has your "friend".... wink.gif

... done ??...

We need specifics man, not just cryptic

references..

Well I wasn't sure whether to post the "problem" since I am not necessarily looking for sympathy, (or negative comments) etc but maybe there is some useful advice or opinions out there ...

It is actually a problem I have been involved with as you probably gather.

In January myself and my partner moved out of a house we were renting - personal problems meant that we were unable to pay the rent. We had fallen one month behind on rent and were obviously concerned that the landlord would start creating problems. He had said several days earlier to my maid that if we couldnt pay we were to get out.

Prior to moving into the house, the property was not in a state that could be lived in and we spent over 500,000 Baht renovating. The landlord gave 2 months rent free initially in order to make the house habitable and said that we were allowed to do literally anything - his other option if we were not going to rent was to knock down and rebuild and showed us his plans. The house was completely unfurnished - a couple of items that were in there when first viewed were subsequently removed by him prior to the contractors starting work since we did not require them.

One week after moving out we received a rather nasty email threatening us with police action and reporting both of us to our respective embassies (neither of us are Thai) if we did not respond and meet up with him to discuss. I immediately replied to the email and after receiving no response faxed a letter to him one week later.

Since then he had managed to find our new landlord and called him to tell him we had done various things - to which our landlord replied he is not interested and that is exactly what the deposit is for.

Anyway ... nothing further happened until last week police started harrassing my maids friends, my maid and even went to her daughters school and asking kids there where she was and saying that the police were looking for her.

Upon hearing this I called the landlord. He arranged a meeting on Friday to discuss what the apparent problems were and resolve the issue. During the meeting the landlords son turned up half way through, was extremely obnoxious and demanded 480,000 Baht in damages and lost rent since they have renovated the house and therefore had no income (????).

Upon leaving the meeting police were waiting outside the coffee shop and we were subsequently arrested. The charges were theft of 5 pieces of furniture (which even the wife of the landlord said during our meeting were not there) plus some damages.

My parents who are here on holiday came to the police station and the obnoxious son (who we now discover is police) demanded 250,000 Baht and he could get us released - when asked if he was police he denied it.

Our lawyer advised us to refuse to deal with his bullying and go through the system - this seemed to infuriate the son to an alarming degree, becoming more "unstable" as the evening wore on - several times both him and the landlord called my father at the police station to make a deal and finally ending up with - "just give me whatever you have in your wallet then".

The next morning after staying in jail overnight we were waiting to be transported to the courts and were delayed 1 1/2 hours - reason for the delay was apparently that the police were now going to request from the court that we be detained for 12 days no bail whilst they continue the investigation.

The court refused the police request and we were released on 100,000 Baht bail.

The main reason for my initial enquiry was to just understand whether this 12 days thing was usual or whether it is only requested in the event of anything serious - i.e. was this a ploy by the landlord to keep us within a system that he could still "manipulate". I am not necessarily concerned about the trial or the charges since we know for a fact that we did not steal anything and are quite prepared to go through the court system.

Any advice, comments or opinions would be welcome. My own opinion is that the landlord is not very happy with our arrest (him and his son had an argument after he arrived, which was obviously when he found out we were about to be arrested) and since his statement lists items that even his wife said were not there then this could cause further problems for him. They attempted to use it to scare us into paying and never expected that we were quite prepared to spend the night in jail and let the courts handle it.

This whole tale doesn’t make sense.

1. Who in their right mind would pay 500000 baht to renovate someone else’s property?

2. The rent was 50000 baht per month UNFURNISHED. Must be one hel_l of a property.

3. The son demanded 480000 baht for lost rent and house renovation? The OP said he paid for renovating the house. Which version is true?

4. Why would the police waste their time to arrest the OP for the theft of 5 pieces of furniture when there is no proof it existed?

5. Property ideal for the Ops business. What sort of business?

6. I believe in Thailand the police can hold a suspect in jail for any length of time while investigations is carried out.

7. The OP employs a maid but cannot afford to pay the rent.

8. How did the police know of the maid’s friends?

9. The home country embassies would not be interested unless this was a much more serious matter, i.e. drugs, murder, terrorism, wanted fugitives in the home countries etc. So therefore a threat to report the OP to the embassies for the theft of some furniture or non payment of rent would be irrelavent.

It appears that there is a lot more to this case than has been mentioned.

Perhaps intimate business dealings with the landlord and his family that has backfired.

There is either more to this case or it`s a tale made up by some weird looney troll.

Edited by sassienie

Ok as you know most TV members are nosey

bast*rds...so what has your "friend".... wink.gif

... done ??...

We need specifics man, not just cryptic

references..

Well I wasn't sure whether to post the "problem" since I am not necessarily looking for sympathy, (or negative comments) etc but maybe there is some useful advice or opinions out there ...

It is actually a problem I have been involved with as you probably gather.

In January myself and my partner moved out of a house we were renting - personal problems meant that we were unable to pay the rent. We had fallen one month behind on rent and were obviously concerned that the landlord would start creating problems. He had said several days earlier to my maid that if we couldnt pay we were to get out.

Prior to moving into the house, the property was not in a state that could be lived in and we spent over 500,000 Baht renovating. The landlord gave 2 months rent free initially in order to make the house habitable and said that we were allowed to do literally anything - his other option if we were not going to rent was to knock down and rebuild and showed us his plans. The house was completely unfurnished - a couple of items that were in there when first viewed were subsequently removed by him prior to the contractors starting work since we did not require them.

One week after moving out we received a rather nasty email threatening us with police action and reporting both of us to our respective embassies (neither of us are Thai) if we did not respond and meet up with him to discuss. I immediately replied to the email and after receiving no response faxed a letter to him one week later.

Since then he had managed to find our new landlord and called him to tell him we had done various things - to which our landlord replied he is not interested and that is exactly what the deposit is for.

Anyway ... nothing further happened until last week police started harrassing my maids friends, my maid and even went to her daughters school and asking kids there where she was and saying that the police were looking for her.

Upon hearing this I called the landlord. He arranged a meeting on Friday to discuss what the apparent problems were and resolve the issue. During the meeting the landlords son turned up half way through, was extremely obnoxious and demanded 480,000 Baht in damages and lost rent since they have renovated the house and therefore had no income (????).

Upon leaving the meeting police were waiting outside the coffee shop and we were subsequently arrested. The charges were theft of 5 pieces of furniture (which even the wife of the landlord said during our meeting were not there) plus some damages.

My parents who are here on holiday came to the police station and the obnoxious son (who we now discover is police) demanded 250,000 Baht and he could get us released - when asked if he was police he denied it.

Our lawyer advised us to refuse to deal with his bullying and go through the system - this seemed to infuriate the son to an alarming degree, becoming more "unstable" as the evening wore on - several times both him and the landlord called my father at the police station to make a deal and finally ending up with - "just give me whatever you have in your wallet then".

The next morning after staying in jail overnight we were waiting to be transported to the courts and were delayed 1 1/2 hours - reason for the delay was apparently that the police were now going to request from the court that we be detained for 12 days no bail whilst they continue the investigation.

The court refused the police request and we were released on 100,000 Baht bail.

The main reason for my initial enquiry was to just understand whether this 12 days thing was usual or whether it is only requested in the event of anything serious - i.e. was this a ploy by the landlord to keep us within a system that he could still "manipulate". I am not necessarily concerned about the trial or the charges since we know for a fact that we did not steal anything and are quite prepared to go through the court system.

Any advice, comments or opinions would be welcome. My own opinion is that the landlord is not very happy with our arrest (him and his son had an argument after he arrived, which was obviously when he found out we were about to be arrested) and since his statement lists items that even his wife said were not there then this could cause further problems for him. They attempted to use it to scare us into paying and never expected that we were quite prepared to spend the night in jail and let the courts handle it.

This whole tale doesn't make sense.

1. Who in their right mind would pay 500000 baht to renovate someone else's property?

2. The rent was 50000 baht per month UNFURNISHED. Must be one hel_l of a property.

3. The son demanded 480000 baht for lost rent and house renovation? The OP said he paid for renovating the house. Which version is true?

4. Why would the police waste their time to arrest the OP for the theft of 5 pieces of furniture when there is no proof it existed?

6. I believe in Thailand the police can hold a suspect in jail for any length of time while investigations is carried out.

8. How did the police know of the maid's friends?

9. The home country embassies would not be interested unless this was a much more serious matter, i.e. drugs, murder, terrorism, wanted fugitives in the home countries etc. So therefore a threat to report the OP to the embassies for the theft of some furniture or non payment of rent would be irrelavent.

Perhaps intimate business dealings with the landlord and his family that has backfired.

There is either more to this case or it`s a tale made up by some weird looney troll.

Perhaps the landlord is demanding the property is handed back in its original state.

The OP has stated he spent 500k on renovations, the owner has the right to request the property back in the same condition he rented it out in the first place.

By 8th July the compliant will have to have his case (and evidence) in hand and ready to submitt. Disclosure will then have to take place (i.e. you will be entitled to see all the evidence against you). Till then there ain't much you can do.

Things like rent dispute and/or damage to premises are non-issue - they are civil matters and will play no role in the theft proceedings.

The ball is then thrown into your court - you be told how much time you have to prepare a defence - then, and only then, will the judge decide how to proceed. Your lawyer will appraise you of all this when you see him.

Don't be suprized if the whole matter falls apart on the 8th, or an attempt is made to settle out of court.

Be practical about it - not withstanding what you feel about been accused of theft, the issue a lot of ex-pats have with defence lawyers in Thailand tends to be about assurances that they can sort the issue out, but it will cost x amount.

There was a case on the forum not long back regards an ex-pat caught wit a small amount of weed. The lawyer assured him all could be sorted out for something like Baht 40 000 (if I remember correctly). The reality of the matter (not withstanding some of the horror scenarios that were portrayed to the poor OP on the forum), was that if found guilty (as a first offence) not much was likely to happen in any case - and if I blow my own trumpet, it is exactly what I told the OP (i.e. not much would happen - he had nothing to worry about) The final outcome: a Baht 10k fine - and he probably would still have got that no matter what the lawyer was paid. If I recall correctly he sat tight and didn't take the lawyer up on his offer.

In short: don't throw good money at bad - theres no shortage of folk (cops and lawyers) around who will offer ex-pats some or other solution, that at best, isn't much different from what is likely to happen in any case. Anything to keep the case out of court - why? Because, unless its a real serious issue (drug smuggling, bank robbery, murder ect etc ......) because once it gets to court the oppurtunity to profiteer is gone.

I'm no legal expert, but in the absence of any furnishings laid out in the rental agreement, I'd be suprized if the complianant had much of a case - and I would think the lawyer would feel likewise (versus giving you a horror story outcome to justify large legal fees).

As for options to counter, or sue - hear the lawyer out, he's best placed to advise on that.

Good luck and keep the forum posted on how things progress.

Thanks. I guess my main concern is what could happen in the event that we are found guilty since I have no concept of what is considered minor/major crime with regards to theft.

I will keep you updated anyway

1. Who in their right mind would pay 500000 baht to renovate someone else's property?

1. As stated earlier I was prepared to do this since the property suited my needs at the right price. Ultimately over a 3 year contract I would have saved.

3. Both versions - they subsequently renovated again and removed part of the original property

4. Good question - possibly because the landlord is police and from what we understand they were not really expecting us to be prepared to go through the system and go to court.

5. Export

7. Maid currently lives in new house but is not paid since we moved

8. Have no idea.

Nope not involved in business at all with landlord. Nothing more to the case apart from the fact that the landlord is from a weird looney family. If this was a troll post then I would have achieved far better results by throwing the words "drug dealer" into the story and watching the lynch mobs calling for my execution!!!

Well done Remix,

I too would not give in to their demands.

It must be a very worrying time for you and your partner.

Hang in there mate, just do the right thing and I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

1. As stated earlier I was prepared to do this since the property suited my needs at the right price. Ultimately over a 3 year contract I would have saved.

3. Both versions - they subsequently renovated again and removed part of the original property

4. Good question - possibly because the landlord is police and from what we understand they were not really expecting us to be prepared to go through the system and go to court.

5. Export

7. Maid currently lives in new house but is not paid since we moved

8. Have no idea.

Nope not involved in business at all with landlord. Nothing more to the case apart from the fact that the landlord is from a weird looney family. If this was a troll post then I would have achieved far better results by throwing the words "drug dealer" into the story and watching the lynch mobs calling for my execution!!!

OK, than it appears you are being stitched up.

I also had a problem with the police that involved property 6 years ago. Once this occurred everyone tried to jump on the bandwagon to obtain money from me, mostly by using fear and taking advantage of my naivety of Thai law. Now I’m happy to say, I am much more aware and not gullible anymore.

Firstly, judging by what you are saying, the police have no evidence against you whatsoever. Insist that the landlord and his family are trying to cheat you for the purposes of obtaining money. Do not admit to anything and sign nothing without the guidance of a lawyer.

Second I suggest you purchase these books:

Over the last few years I’ve had a few legal issues here in Thailand, mostly enquiries about property rights and ownership.

My wife and I visited a lawyer in Mai Rim, Chiang Mai for some advice. After our consultation, he recommended to us some law books that gives details of all the laws of Thailand (The ACTS) in layman’s terms both in Thai and perfect English.

These law manuals are the actual books that Thai lawyers call the Lawyers Bibles.

There are 3 books:

1. Title: THE CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE.

Compiled & translated by Kamol Sandhikshetrin

This is a thick hardback book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

1000 baht.

The cover is red (left) white (centre) and blue (right) running down vertically from top to bottom of the cover.

2. Title: THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE.

Translated by Mr. Yongyuth V`s yuthankun

This is a thick soft back book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

230 baht.

3. Title: THE CRIMINAL CODE

TRANSLATED THAI – ENGLISH

This is a thick soft back book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

250 baht.

I purchased these books about a year ago, so prices may have increased.

Best 1480 baht I ever spent.

The Books can be purchased at any good bookshop in Thailand, but check that they are up to date.

The civil and commercial code : books I - VI and

glossary / compiled and translated by Kamol

Sandhikshetrin. - 8. ed. - Bangkok :

Nitibannagarn, 2007. - getr. Zählg.

Text in thailänd. u. engl. Sprache

ISBN 974-447-303-7

NE: Sandhikshetrin, Kamol

Good luck ole sport and wishing you all success.

OK, than it appears you are being stitched up.

I also had a problem with the police that involved property 6 years ago. Once this occurred everyone tried to jump on the bandwagon to obtain money from me, mostly by using fear and taking advantage of my naivety of Thai law. Now I'm happy to say, I am much more aware and not gullible anymore.

Firstly, judging by what you are saying, the police have no evidence against you whatsoever. Insist that the landlord and his family are trying to cheat you for the purposes of obtaining money. Do not admit to anything and sign nothing without the guidance of a lawyer.

Second I suggest you purchase these books:

Over the last few years I've had a few legal issues here in Thailand, mostly enquiries about property rights and ownership.

My wife and I visited a lawyer in Mai Rim, Chiang Mai for some advice. After our consultation, he recommended to us some law books that gives details of all the laws of Thailand (The ACTS) in layman's terms both in Thai and perfect English.

These law manuals are the actual books that Thai lawyers call the Lawyers Bibles.

There are 3 books:

1. Title: THE CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE.

Compiled & translated by Kamol Sandhikshetrin

This is a thick hardback book each Act is covered by 1 page in Thai and another in perfect English.

1000 baht.

The cover is red (left) white (centre) and blue (right) running down vertically from top to bottom of the cover.

2. Title: THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE.

230 baht.

3. Title: THE CRIMINAL CODE

TRANSLATED THAI – ENGLISH

250 baht.

I purchased these books about a year ago, so prices may have increased.

Best 1480 baht I ever spent.

The Books can be purchased at any good bookshop in Thailand, but check that they are up to date.

The civil and commercial code : books I - VI and

glossary / compiled and translated by Kamol

Sandhikshetrin. - 8. ed. - Bangkok :

Nitibannagarn, 2007. - getr. Zählg.

Text in thailänd. u. engl. Sprache

ISBN 974-447-303-7

NE: Sandhikshetrin, Kamol

Good luck ole sport and wishing you all success.

Many thanks for the advice. Will check out the books!

Had my share of encounters with Thai Police, though most came out pretty OK. I am living in the countryside, I reckon that makes things easier in a way. One thing I can underline is, that it also helped to have a "friend" (rather a tourist on a long term holiday after divorce in Germany) from the German BKA with international experience on my side when talking with the local coppers. He called somebody in BKK, (no he wouldn't tell me whom) who then called to the local chief of police. It ended us having a nice dinner with the chief... No money was exchanged, just a phone call. Ah, dinner was paid by the chief of police. Accusation was defamation (of a local Thai: "cousin" from the Oboto with strong police bonds) though no evidence.

No, I am not living in fear now, the situation is cleared.

• 1 month later...

For those who were wanting an update ...

On Friday turned up for court and was subsequently officially charged with what appears to be - Conspiracy to commit robbery and criminal damage.

Bit confused since that was not the original reason for being arrested and the term "robbery" suggests use of violence or intimidation. How one can conspire to rob anything that doesnt exist is beyond me. Unless of course the legal term was incorrectly translated by the court translator - worrying thought!

Anyway, pleaded not guilty, obviously and first hearing set for Sep 28th.

...the father but more the son and it definitely appears that they dont agree.

You sure this isn't a "good cop, bad cop" strategy (as used all over the world) ???

They keep a "good cop" friendly with you so that there's an avenue for you to "settle".

And... they're both cops! :)

...the father but more the son and it definitely appears that they dont agree.

You sure this isn't a "good cop, bad cop" strategy (as used all over the world) ???

They keep a "good cop" friendly with you so that there's an avenue for you to "settle".

And... they're both cops! :)

More like "bad cop, nasty cop"

• 1 year later...