Kl Or Vientiane For A Tourist Visa?

After a quick search on the forum, it seems like it's easy to obtain a single entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in KL.

I know Vientiane is the only place issuing double tourist visas with relative ease, but say I just wanted a single entry tourist visa, is the embassy in KL as easy-going as the one in Vientiane?

The reason I ask is because the last time a friend of mine went to the Thai embassy in Singapore, he was asked to show 2000 dollars in a bank account as well as an onward ticket from Thailand.

I am I likely to have to go through this hassle in KL? The only money I can show is in a Thai bank, and of course, I don't want to come across as being employed out here.

Thanks.

Edited by ReeBkk

I have personally found the Consulates more friendly and willing to assist , compared to a couple of Embassies I went to . My advice is use a consulate.

The last Embassy I used was in Manila-Philippines. I tried to get a single entry tourist visa. They demanded that I have an onward flight at the end of the 60 days. I said I might want to extend it with Immigration in Thailand or possibly use a land border rather than flying out. They said NO , I said that was unfair .

They then told me that if I dont have an onward flight , I wouldnt get the visa. So , I went to an internet cafe , booked the cheapest single ticket available with AirAsia , which was to Penang for the end of the 60 days. I got the online booking ticket , printed it and took it with me to the Embassy the next day and tried again.

This time we were kept waiting until the very end , even though we were in the first 5 of the daily customers of about 20 queing . Then when we handed all the paperwork over , inc, the flight tickets , they said SORRY , we are the issuing Embassy and you would have to get a flight back to the Philippines if we want the visa. We said we dont want to come back here as were going to Panang in Malaysia. They said sorry , NO VISA. We complained and asked to speak with a higher official and were told to make an appointment next week. Bastards.

Then they refused to hand our paperwork back but returned the passports.

We flew back to BKK with nothing and knowing possibly that we maybe black listed if they had put something on computer. On arrival , immigration went through every page of our passports but gave us the 30 day entry on arrival visa. Lucky.

Then with the flight tickets booked to Penang , we used them and went there after the 30 days were up and got the tourist visa there via Chulia Street bookshop.

I have personally found the Consulates more friendly and willing to assist , compared to a couple of Embassies I went to . My advice is use a consulate.

The last Embassy I used was in Manila-Philippines. I tried to get a single entry tourist visa. They demanded that I have an onward flight at the end of the 60 days. I said I might want to extend it with Immigration in Thailand or possibly use a land border rather than flying out. They said NO , I said that was unfair .

They then told me that if I dont have an onward flight , I wouldnt get the visa. So , I went to an internet cafe , booked the cheapest single ticket available with AirAsia , which was to Penang for the end of the 60 days. I got the online booking ticket , printed it and took it with me to the Embassy the next day and tried again.

This time we were kept waiting until the very end , even though we were in the first 5 of the daily customers of about 20 queing . Then when we handed all the paperwork over , inc, the flight tickets , they said SORRY , we are the issuing Embassy and you would have to get a flight back to the Philippines if we want the visa. We said we dont want to come back here as were going to Panang in Malaysia. They said sorry , NO VISA. We complained and asked to speak with a higher official and were told to make an appointment next week. Bastards.

Then they refused to hand our paperwork back but returned the passports.

We flew back to BKK with nothing and knowing possibly that we maybe black listed if they had put something on computer. On arrival , immigration went through every page of our passports but gave us the 30 day entry on arrival visa. Lucky.

Then with the flight tickets booked to Penang , we used them and went there after the 30 days were up and got the tourist visa there via Chulia Street bookshop.

The Thai Consulate in the Manila is seriously PR retarded. If you had continued with your application I wouldn't have been surprised if they asked you for even more imformation such as proof of employment, bank statements and even confirmed hotel bookings. Even then they may have knocked you back.

A female Filipino has an even slimmer chance of getting a tourist visa there. After all required documentation have been tendered they have been known to come back with: "Application denied, we think she is going there to work".

Are they too lazy to work there and try to limit the amount of applicants? Why are the pretending to be a consulate? They're doing Thailand no favours at all by continuing the way they do. I'm sure that many Farang have taken Thailand off their travel itenirary due to difficulties obtaining visas there.

Manila is on top of our list for do not go there locations for any kind of visa. The consulate in Savannakhet Laos is number 2 unless you live close to the border there. Then there is Singapore and Hong Kong.

Khota Bharu is back on the do not go there list for tourist visas because they are handing out notices and putting a note to that effect on the visa stickers. Might be ok for a first time tourist visa and other visas.

PP Cambodia is unpredictable and is on the maybe list. Two day service has been reported lately

Good places are Vientiane for 2 entry tourist and single entry visas. KL and Penang for single entry tourist visas and single/multiple entry visas. Penang is not good for multiple B's only KL is.