Guitar

ace

I would like to bring a guitar to Thailand by air.

I have 2 actually, 1 expensive acoustic, soft case & a cheaper electric with a hard case.

I would like to bring the acoustic but I don't believe it is possible to bring it as hand luggage.

The electric I can check-in but it will be about 4 foot tall in the case.

Sooooo...the airlines don't seem to have a definite answer - "it's at the discretion of the check-in staff....."

Has anyone bought a guitar to Thailand?

Any tips?

:)

I've brought two although not on the same trip.

I just check them in a hard case.

I put fragile stickers on one of them once but don't know if it matters.

I would recommend a hard case if you can find one.

I didn't know the airlines discrimimated against them.

I packed my Acoustic Guitar up good en proper in a special bought box. very thick card!

Not expensive if you go to a box company also loads of air bubble packaging.

Don't know if putting fragile stickers on it will help much, in fact they may through it around a bit more. :)

I have 2 actually, 1 expensive acoustic, soft case & a cheaper electric with a hard case.

I would like to bring the acoustic but I don't believe it is possible to bring it as hand luggage.

Sooooo...the airlines don't seem to have a definite answer - "it's at the discretion of the check-in staff....."

Any tips?

Guy used to import old martins/taylors shipped in wooden crates, packed with foam and inner case.

They go through extreme temperatures in airplane cargo holds, and when exposed to humidity

during the rainy season, they sound like a bucket of water, the north wind blows during the dry season,

and the wood shrinks, a couple of season of that and the bridge will pop off ...

Maybe thats why you dont get really old guitars in Thailand?, the collectors keeps them in air-conditioned rooms,

theres some interesting old guitars passed around, they love old gibsons, fenders ...

don't forget about stocking up on strings, the selection here is not good, d'addario is your satndard top of line, Elixir is over a thousand baht a set, and they never have the right weight tension ...

Some good information thanks & I hear you about the effect of tropical conditions on a wooden instrument, but I figure we'll have some fun before she goes :D

So I will find an airline / ticket combo that lets me check 2 bits of big luggage. I believe they can punish you with a 38 ukp per kilo penalty :)

Some good information thanks & I hear you about the effect of tropical conditions on a wooden instrument, but I figure we'll have some fun before she goes :D

So I will find an airline / ticket combo that lets me check 2 bits of big luggage. I believe they can punish you with a 38 ukp per kilo penalty :)

If you have an expensive acoustic or electric guitar get an ATA Approved flight case.

There are several manufacturers but "Anvil" comes to mind. Make the case look old, stickers

scratches etc. Bring it on the plane, check it in and pay the extra. Don't even think about going through customs with a declaration or shipping it in. I took a Fender Precision around for years and years this way. With the electric, if you can take the neck off then do so and pack the guitar in your luggage. Put or have the neck put back on when you are in BKK.

yes be very careful with weather in thailand, I have a rare guitar I wanted to bring here, but discouraged after some people suggested me to don't do it.

Perhaps not bringing them and buying a used guitar is an option for you.

The weather here is not good for guitars. There are stores that carry all of the string brands, but they are expensive in Thailand.

Capos are also expensive here.

I bought a very nice, used Takamine at Second Hand Music (near Pantip Plaza).

I did take my acoustic guitar with me on one flight (inside a soft case)........and had to check it in (could not take it on the plane).

The guitar arrived uninjured.......the only problem was that my capo was stolen at the airport......so, don't keep anything in the zipper bags because they will go through them and remove anything of value.

Any tips?

-----------------------------------

Was in your position last year with my newly bought accoustic guitar, and I was going to take it back to

Sweden. I got the following answer; -" for insurancereasons we can accept a guitar if you put it in a hard box.

Which means a hard guitarbox".

To me as a shipping-guy it seems to be reasonable true.

So you must buy a box..

Glegolo

yes be very careful with weather in thailand, I have a rare guitar I wanted to bring here, but discouraged after some people suggested me to don't do it.

The weather here is not good for guitars. There are stores that carry all of the string brands, but they are expensive in Thailand.

I did take my acoustic guitar with me on one flight (inside a soft case)........and had to check it in (could not take it on the plane).

The guitar arrived uninjured.......the only problem was that my capo was stolen at the airport......so, don't keep anything in the zipper bags because they will go through them and remove anything of value.

That's where I keep my condoms:D.

I might be jumping out of the topic but how much can you get a guitar for in LOS. I'd rather not bring mine over and hassle with the transport.

I'd like to pick up a Ibanez hollow body electric. They go for about $180.00 here in the states. If I could find one at decent price I'd probably just leave it in LOS with one of GF's (maybe not too wise) or donate to a school or run into some kid looking to learn how to play.

I miss my guitar everytime I come to LOS :)

• 1 month later...

That's where I keep my condoms:D.

I might be jumping out of the topic but how much can you get a guitar for in LOS. I'd rather not bring mine over and hassle with the transport.

I'd like to pick up a Ibanez hollow body electric. They go for about $180.00 here in the states. If I could find one at decent price I'd probably just leave it in LOS with one of GF's (maybe not too wise) or donate to a school or run into some kid looking to learn how to play.

I miss my guitar everytime I come to LOS :)

this may provide the answer: a new age headless travel guitar, there's even a nylon string version:

http://www.travelerguitar.com/

around Bht 15,000- new

Any tips?

My tip would be a 'Hiscox hard case' - One of the best things I've ever bought. A car driving at high speed won't damage the guitar within a Hiscox if it runs over it. Buy two. Loosen all the strings before you travel, the pressure can make them snap. Put them in the luggage hold.

The hiscox cases are very light - but strong. You should have no problems putting them in the hold - depending on what else you are bringing, of course.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Any tips?

:D

I brought my acoustic in from the UK a number of years ago, no problem.

Hard case, checked in baggage. The only thing I had to do was check it in as oversized luggage. No extra cost or anything.

Popped out at Khon Kaen airport none the worse.

I do not know of any airline that would stop you bringing one in.

Hope this helps :)

I brought my electric ( Gibson SG ) in from UK three weeks back.. I hand carried it in the original gibson hard case.. I was prepared to check it in if all else failed but purposely had no other hand luggage so I could try take it as 'carry on'. When I checked in I held up the case and said "I usually hand carry this..Ok?'' The check in girl said no probs but said I may be required to 'gate check' it if anybody had an issue in the departure lounge... Once in the departure lounge I counted heaps of people with much larger and bulkier hand carry than me :) ... This despite an abundance of 'check you luggage size' displays.. Once onboard I asked one of the flight attendants if there was room in the 'closet' for my guitar.. It was stowed for me till we landed.. I continued on the next leg of my joOurney. on the following flight I was able to put the guitar case in the overhead compartment.. Again no questions or problems..

I do believe it depends on the airline.. I flew with Emirates and they have a pretty generous luggage policy even in economy (35kgs) Their website says sporting goods and instruments carried at the 'discretion of the ground staff' Not sure if other airlines are this generous.. I flew with BA a couple of Months back and 25kg was their limit and only one bag..

Guess a hard case is the answer then you can either hand carry it or check in if not allowed..

Also would depend on the size of your acoustic.. Pretty certain my Gibbo's case is smaller than a ful sized dreadnought :D Can't see them letting you carry on of those on :D ...But I have seen plenty of guys carry on regular sized acoustics in soft bags

So I'd be cautious if taking a dreadnought in only a gig bag...

Best of luck..

Edited by Pdaz

If you have an expensive acoustic or electric guitar get an ATA Approved flight case.

There are several manufacturers but "Anvil" comes to mind. Make the case look old, stickers

scratches etc. Bring it on the plane, check it in and pay the extra. Don't even think about going through customs with a declaration or shipping it in. I took a Fender Precision around for years and years this way. With the electric, if you can take the neck off then do so and pack the guitar in your luggage. Put or have the neck put back on when you are in BKK.

That is a great tip! I have a removable neck but never thought about it...Do you think there's any issues with just taking the neck off - do I need to measure the torque pressure on the screws / nuts etc..anything like that?