Maxnet Dns

scifi

Yes the old 'it's your computer' problem.

Don't believe a word of it.

When they come out with that BS I always insist that they plug in their own pc.

That is when they come out with 'must be your modem'.

Always get them to plug in a spare modem at this point.

Only then will they admit to a network problem.

In my case, not even then did they admit to a network problem. They told me the modem was overheating because it is hot in Thailand and I was leaving it on too long. They said I should not use the modem longer than a couple of hours. :)

koheesti, DNS settings can be configured on your local machine, so if you are using the resort's connection, but your own laptop/device, I think you can just go ahead and change the DNS settings on your machine and things should improve. (I think that is right...?) However, if you are using a public PC provided by the resort, you are probably stuck with the full Maxnet "experience". I am guessing you need admin rights to modify the DNS settings, but maybe you could try, if it is a public PC. Or ask; I suppose that would be the polite thing to do :)

Apparently it worked, no problems this morning. The link provided has instructions for changing on your router OR on your computer. Thanks guys!

Edited by koheesti

I am not on Maxnet but I use this DNS which is worth a try

http://www.dnsadvantage.com/

Dear Webfact,

Thank you so much for the direct to the dnsadvantage site... I've been putting off changing my DNS, but this morning, using TOT, in Bang Mod, Bangkok... getting link broken messages on Bangkok Post, The Nation, and Huffington Post... finally too much to bear. Changed the DNS's, and so far... stable and responsive!

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Pawpcorn

hi we are having same problems with maxnet in Chiang Mai ... I just read this on another forum:

sigh!

<h3 class="first">Re: Anyone having problems with internet connection? (Maxnet)</h3> icon_post_target.gifby DuiDui on June 30, 2009, 8:17 pm

Hallo there everyone,hope you have had a nice day today.

Regading the problems we ALL seems to have with the Internet i today spoke with the girl at the Maxnet desk in Complex,she told me the problem was in Bankok and their DNS server there.The problem will be fixed (Thaitime)on the 9th of July.

^Thanks for all the info above, thought I was going CRAZY......sorry, already crazy, but you get the idea.

I thought my TOT connection was bad, have had this service for about 2 weeks now & can't believe how bad it is on international sites, the last few days being impossible.

I for one think that service where they tell you its going to be fixed on the 9th of july (did she pluck this date from her assshole?) is absolutely PATHETIC.

Not being that switched on about PC/Internet stuff, I will attempt to follow the changes suggested by webfact. Thankyou all. Up yours TT&T.

Okay, I can't go to the link that webfact provided....which doesnt surprise me :)

Whats the go with this DNS setting, can someone provide a dummies step by step instruction or would I be better off resorting to carrier pidgeon again :D

Okay, I can't go to the link that webfact provided....which doesnt surprise me :)

Whats the go with this DNS setting, can someone provide a dummies step by step instruction or would I be better off resorting to carrier pidgeon again :D

Try this...

right click the icon in your system tray (bottom right hand corner) that represents your internet connection; wireless, looks like single computer with two sound waves, LAN, looks like two computers

click "Status"

click "Properties" button

scroll down the selection window until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Double-click this.

Click the radio button "Use the following DNS Server addresses:"

In the first window type: 156.154.070.001

In the second window type: 156.154.071.001

(the zeros will disappear after you type in the numbers)

click the OK button

click the OK button

click the CLOSE button

Done! Good luck!

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn

Yes the old 'it's your computer' problem.

Don't believe a word of it.

When they come out with that BS I always insist that they plug in their own pc.

That is when they come out with 'must be your modem'.

Always get them to plug in a spare modem at this point.

Only then will they admit to a network problem.

In my case, not even then did they admit to a network problem. They told me the modem was overheating because it is hot in Thailand and I was leaving it on too long. They said I should not use the modem longer than a couple of hours. :)

To be honest I have had problems with my modem overheating, one of the cheap white ones supplied as standard by Maxnut.

Easily cured by running a fan alongside.

Spoke to someone today who had Maxnet Indy - they have hardly any connection by the sounds of it, at least not to international sites and therefore also probs with email. We have Premier and ours is slow and lots of time outs but still working and just about bearable.

So my theory - if you have Indy - forget it... if you have Premier, be prepared for a slow week. (unless you are using one of these workarounds, which I haven't looked at yet)

Anyone got more evidence for this theory?

Try this...

right click the icon in your system tray (bottom right hand corner) that represents your internet connection; wireless, looks like single computer with two sound waves, LAN, looks like two computers

click "Status"

click "Properties" button

scroll down the selection window until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Double-click this.

Click the radio button "Use the following DNS Server addresses:"

In the first window type: 156.154.070.001

In the second window type: 156.154.071.001

(the zeros will disappear after you type in the numbers)

click the OK button

click the OK button

click the CLOSE button

Done! Good luck!

Pawpcorn

Pawpcorn, Thanks for all of that, but when I follow your instuctions (I have a LAN connection), right at the start when I right click on my systems tray on the two pc's, I don't get the 'status' option.

Im sure theres another way to change my DNS Server address. I just gotta remember how. Thanks for your help, will let you know how i go.

I'm on 4MB Indy in Chiang Mai, but they upgraded me to 5MB after I complained. I don't know if this had anything to do with my call or not, but it got me excited for a moment, until I realized 99% of the web sites I use are outside of the region. I just talked to a technician and she said something about DNS servers as others have reported and she doesn't know when it will be fixed.

I've changed my DNS servers and can open sites I wasn't able to before. I don't quite understand how these work. Will this be a slower connection than Maxnet's DNS servers once they get them fixed? Should I remove them later once the problem with Maxnet is fixed? Thanks! :)

Edited by mnbcm

I rely on the Internet and a long time ago I accepted that as long as I am with MaxNet - they will shaft me. I find it helps me cope with the daily crap I face whenever I go online.

I learned not to get the technicians out and I no longer have to listen to their lame excuses.

I learned not to bother asking the girl on the desk where I pay my bill, as even a Thai can get embarrased about their employer.

I place MaxNet a highly commendable second place on my list of pet hates where only Fortuna drivers are more unbearable :) ...... but only just.

• 3 months later...