Tv Charge

emubob

Hi all!

Just a quick question. Landord at our apartment building just installed cable TV in all 6 apartments a few weeks ago. Bill is in for the month and each guest is being charged 350baht for the month (2,100baht for the 6 of us). Now we all live at the same address but have different room numbers. Is this normal? Any guesthouse/hotel owners know what the deal is? I can't imagine a 100 room hotel paying 350 baht per individual room i.e. 35,000 baht a month for cable.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Emubob

Hi all!

Just a quick question. Landord at our apartment building just installed cable TV in all 6 apartments a few weeks ago. Bill is in for the month and each guest is being charged 350baht for the month (2,100baht for the 6 of us). Now we all live at the same address but have different room numbers. Is this normal? Any guesthouse/hotel owners know what the deal is? I can't imagine a 100 room hotel paying 350 baht per individual room i.e. 35,000 baht a month for cable.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Emubob

Group fee for WE Tv varies according to the number of peple in the condo. Ours is a medium large condo and the fee is 200 baht a month. I believe our condo doesnot charge a commission. Normal individual fee is 350b

As a building owner we pay Karon Cable 160 baht/point for our group fee. So for a 2 bedroom apartment, with TV points in lounge & each bedroom costs us 480 baht. One bedroom apartment = 320 baht.

But surely your landlord supplies cable free (in the rent price) ??

Unfortunately not L in K! Internet, cable TV and other utilities come itemised on the bill each month on top of rent. Sucks I know as the price of the apartments are not exactly cheap.

Each apartment only has one cable point in the living room. No TV point in the bedroom.

Thanks for the replies so far. Am just wondering if we are being used to make a nice little extra profit (wouldn't be the first time!)

Emubob

We pay about 1300 baht a month and have about 20 TV points. That is with Kata Cable (KPP). Karon Cable is more expensive.

However, there are upfront expenses which the landlord should wish to recoup: initial installation fee, splitters, slope amplifier.

350 baht is not a lot and is the going rate for a single point. Maybe the landlord will make a profit but it is not very much.