Using A Vcr In Thailand

Namphonny

I brought a vcr and tapes from the UK where I know that they work but I cannot get them to play on a tv set bought locally. I was under the impression that the system (scan frequency etc) was the same in both countries. When I try to play a tape the picture breaks up with large bands across the bottom. The picture is almost watchable and the sound is fine but no amount of tracking will stabilise the picture. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have wondered about buying a dvd/vcr combo but cannot find one for sale anywhere.

Hi Nam,

I've got an expensive (at the time) Panasonic VHS player from overseas that plays old tapes here but doesn't record on all channels, different frequency I suppose. Haven't used it for a while, had forgotten all about it.

I bought a VHS/VCD combo player for 5,000 baht at least 5 years ago now. DVD combos were selling for 10,000 at the time. Haven't seen them on sale for a couple of years now, used to sell them at Central and Tesco but wouldn't be surprised if they don't sell let alone make them anymore. I'd think they must be available second hand. The electronics area down Chinatown way would surely sell them still, can't think of the name but someone will know where I mean. LG is the brand of my VCD combo, they had several models for sale.  

Seems they're still being made, quite a few models when you Google, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi, Toshiba but whether they're sold in Thailand I can't tell. Samsung have models but couldn't see anything on their Thai portal, nothing I could find in a few local online electronic retailers either.

http

://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...nic-_-82103389

Wow you old guys really hold onto that ancient tech out of sheer terror of changing times eh? You should have (or maybe you still can) transfer all your vhs movies to digital files on your computer, then you can play them from there or make dvds out of them and play them in one of those new fangled golddarn dvd players.

I brought a vcr and tapes from the UK where I know that they work but I cannot get them to play on a tv set bought locally. I was under the impression that the system (scan frequency etc) was the same in both countries. When I try to play a tape the picture breaks up with large bands across the bottom. The picture is almost watchable and the sound is fine but no amount of tracking will stabilise the picture. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have wondered about buying a dvd/vcr combo but cannot find one for sale anywhere.

Are you using the RF (aerial) output from the VCR to the TV ?

If so then, although both the UK and Thailand use the PAL system, the UK uses PAL I while Thailand uses PAL BG. They have different sound frequencies so when using the aerial output you won't be able to hear the sound when you have a good picture. You should be able to see the picture but it sounds like your TV tuner could be locking into the wrong part of the signal giving the picture breakup with good sound you describe.

If you use the video output (scart socket in UK equipment) you shouldn't have any problems.

You will only be able to record in Thailand via the video input, again you'll lose the sound if you try recording via the aerial socket.

If so then, although both the UK and Thailand use the PAL system, the UK uses PAL I while Thailand uses PAL BG. They have different sound frequencies so when using the aerial output you won't be able to hear the sound when you have a good picture. You should be able to see the picture but it sounds like your TV tuner could be locking into the wrong part of the signal giving the picture breakup with good sound you describe.

If you use the video output (scart socket in UK equipment) you shouldn't have any problems.

You will only be able to record in Thailand via the video input, again you'll lose the sound if you try recording via the aerial socket.

Thanks for the info. First I tried the RF signal which was pretty useless. I then sent for a SCART/Phono connector from the UK (because the TV does not have SCART sockets). The results of this are what I was referring to in my original post. From what you say, I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the vcr even though I had it serviced by Sony - at a cost of nearly B3000!

Wow you old guys really hold onto that ancient tech out of sheer terror of changing times eh? You should have (or maybe you still can) transfer all your vhs movies to digital files on your computer, then you can play them from there or make dvds out of them and play them in one of those new fangled golddarn dvd players.

Not quite that simple LaughingMan. I would need to install a video capture card and I don't know anything about them. Tell me where I can buy a DVD/VCR combo in Bangkok and I will go straight out and get one.

I had exactly the same problem plugging my UK VCR into the wifes families old tv set.

Plugged it into our new Samsung LCD and it plays UK tapes great.

UK VCR is scart, Thai tv is HDMI so couldn't connect that way.

Simply used the coaxial into the TV's Ant in socket.

Have you tried a dfferent TV set?

Or went into the set-up of your TV?

My TV at home (Philips) seamlessly switches between the different television standards, but on a cheap TV set (A-class), even tough the TV standard is set to "auto", it's not selecting the proper standard at all times. I have to manually, using the set-up menu, select the proper standard and sound system...

Hi, I brought a DVD/VCR combo player here from the UK several years ago, and use it to record football that's on in the middle of the night.

I have dual scart sockets on the combo, the satellite goes in to the video in via 3 RCA connectors, yellow, red & white, and a similar cable goes from the 2nd scart (out) socket to the AV socket on the TV, again using some 3 RCA cables. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Have you tuned your video into the right input from your TV signal?

Sure it's not your tapes? The weather here is not kind to them, they tend to deteriorate much faster than in a colder climate. I have a Peter Pan tape that plays in a similar way to you describe, with large bands across the screen, and it's the tape, not the player that's at fault, other commercially bought tapes, some from many years ago, play fine.

Good luck with it. :)

Thanks for the info. First I tried the RF signal which was pretty useless. I then sent for a SCART/Phono connector from the UK (because the TV does not have SCART sockets). The results of this are what I was referring to in my original post. From what you say, I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the vcr even though I had it serviced by Sony - at a cost of nearly B3000!

Sounds like your VCR scart output is set to RGB but your TV input will be composite video. Go into your VCR settings/menu and change the output to composite video out. If I remember correctly with Sony you set each scart output individually so make sure you change the correct one.