Living Costs

ZOOKA

But i can say i live very happily on the money i earn as a teacher. I have a car, I will soon get a big bike again(no point in rainy season) and eat and drink out regularly. Oh also I love teaching (sometimes :) )

Hello Zooka...i am not a teacher but i can tell you that you can live with 30 k easily if you avoid drinking(thats the real money killer) and goin to the ladybars...

i live with 35 k a month(bangkok),but i am not alone.wife,3 year old baby girl and a big dog.

so its up to you if you can live with that money.

Yeah, I agree, I'm not in BKK and don't go out drinking etc that often anymore (as it's not fair on my poor head at 6am the next morning or, more importantly, the students I teach) and that is where you spend most money. I have a new house, a new car, wife and 4 month old puppy and can survive OK on teaching wages. What's the exchange rate got to do with anything if you are living in Thailand and get paid in Thai baht?

Hi

Thanks for the feedback!

Im in the Uk at the moment on a good Forces Pension and thats why I mentioned the exchange rate.

I have a lovely house in Hua Hin and I am looking to relocate there next year. I already have a good degree and will do my Tefla in London this summer. I have been a long term mature student with the Open University since 1995 so believe that teaching may give me a new challenge and opportunity to work and live there full time.

I no longer do the Girly Bars and most of my holiday money goes on improving the house so feel that I could live sensibly. Retired monthly income at the moment would be arround the 30K mark.

I want to work and will give Hua Hin a try but believe that I will have to come to BKK for work. So I would rent in BKK maybe 10k pcm leaving 20K disposable from teachers wages. Overall income 50K. Sounds Ok but I will have some running costs with the Hua Hin Place.

Good to get a feel on current living costs! London is so expensive. My living costs here are ridiculous and taxed at 40 %. Its getting harder and harder to stay here when I believe that my standard of living would be far better over there.

Do you get much scope for overtime?? Free accomodation or am I asking too much!!!!

^ Peaceblondie spent time in Hua Hin and I'm sure he won't mind giving you the heads up on that city.

Overall income 50K per month is good living here.

Same as you in the UK I had a good income on paper but I never saw any of it. Tax is taxed! Water your garden when it needs water in the summer and you have to buy a licence - they just never stop squeezing you.

Having just returned back to my minute London Pad and battling the London rat Race...

I think that I have made my decision!

I will take a career break in the next 12 to 18 mths and give it a crack out in LOS.

Try and get some work in Hua Hin / BKK :)

Worse case scenerio .....Return to the UK ....Nothing to lose!!

Thanks for the feedback